• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

February - Freeze-A-Palooza Feb 17 & 18, 2007 - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be attending the "Freeze-A-Palooza 2007"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We all stayed in at least twice as long as the scuba divers in their drysuits.

They just have no idea how warm we are as scuba wetsuits are SO much colder than any of ours.

If you have lake across the street I'd do an ice dive in there. That way when you get cold you could just walk home and jump in the shower.

Check your email, I sent you some details on setting up your own ice dive without scuba divers. ;)

Jon

How's that Johnny?

I played a little with Your photo, it still needs a little TLC, I am just not patient enough but there is preety simple trick in Photoshop called clone stamp. It allows You to copy image color/texture from one area to another, there's just too much clicking, video editing is much more fun. Results soon

BTW, Your picture "The tick" is the best.

Foundeset, too bad You couldn't make it, You make nice pictures too. The more pictures I take underwater the more I appreciate others people work. UW photo seems easy but it's not!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
Brian,

I failed to respond to your question...how did the suit perform...

UNBELEAVABLE! I was very happy with everything. I could not believe that one could stay in water that cold and not feel the coldness of it. The only thing that eventually got cold was my index fingers.

In the (3) fingered gloves, they are kind of "exposed". For what we were doing, I could have just used a "Mitt", but on the safe side, I think I would always want an index finger free - how else would one manipulate a knife well...etc. I think if I would have been paying attention more to it, I could have kept it warm by wiggling it around a bit.

My exposed face did get quite cold, but got used to it quickly. Peter had a great "Face Mask" out of open cell with a hole for the snorkle...once I used that, my face was comfy again. :)

I would not hesitate to go in any water that was liquid...the freediving suits are just that good...no leakage, no cold water running down the back. I could have worn my 3mm hooded vest for even more warmpth, but would only need it if I knew I would be diving in 34 - 40 degree water for more than 2 hours.

Thanks again Jon & Peter.

Gene

Gene,

I don't know if you noticed the jug of hot water, but that's to pour down your socks/gloves when they start to get cold. It really help to warm you up so you can keep on going. Some years we bring out a whole cooler full of hot water and just have all the extra gloves and masks floating around in there to keep warm. It also helps to stand in the cooler and let your feet warm up. :inlove

You could look into buying a Hendrson ice cap or just look through the extra scraps that elios sends along with their suits and make what Peter did for free.

Jon

Last edited:
No kidding about the elios scraps. I now have enough to probably make a pair of boots and an ice mask. Also the way elios makes their boots is very simple - I can probably put a pair together just glued and have them hold up at least for awhile.

Video

All right guys, I just edited the video last night. It's not what I planned but I hope You'll still enjoy it. Too bad YouTube allows only such a low resolution, original footage was HighDef and looks good. Enyone could tell me how to send 100MB or bigger file?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done! That res looks just fine.

FYI - the problem area I've found with the cold water face hit is the forehead. I was getting naseau when the cold water hit the sides of my forehead - my face would adapt afterwhile - but the nausea would linger on and apnea and nausea are a really bad mix. My new suit has elminated the problem because of the way the hood is cut but a strip of thin neoprene tucked into the hood above the mask would probably do the trick for my other suit.

Last edited:
Holy Cow Peter!

I can't believe you could take that and make an eight minute video out of it. Good job!

Just wait until things thaw and then we can really get some good footage. I can hardly wait to see what you come up with after freedive-a-palooza this summer- when you can spend 8-10 hours in the water shooting.

Jon

Just took a short drive and the outlet is open out to the 35' line. Air temps are in the 40's right now but Ill have to check the weather for this weekend.

Jon

Really warm here too - yesterday was sunny and 40sF with a south wind. The ice should be much reduced soon - hopefully at least to where we can walk out and get in in deeper water.

I hope to go to the Sheboygan Power Plant this weekend & try by the warm water discharge...will be in the afternoon. PM me if anyone wants to join in. I've never been there, but in theory, the carp should be attracted to the warm water.

I’ve just got to say that the ice dive looked great and thanks for sharing.
Nice one guys.:)

Re: Video

All right guys, I just edited the video last night. It's not what I planned but I hope You'll still ejoy it. Too bad YouTube allows only such a low resolution, original footage was HighDef and looks good. Enyone could tell me how to send 100MB or bigger file?

YouTube - Ice freediving Wisconsin 2007

This video ROCKS!!! I haven't finished watching it but what I have seen is just top notch, not to mention hilarious. I can't believe how multi-talented everyone is. The videography and editing is unbelievable, and whoever wrote the clever "script" and storyboard, well... do I see an Oscar coming down the road? Great job to the entire team.
icon10.gif

All right guys, I just edited the video last night. It's not what I planned but I hope You'll still ejoy it. Too bad YouTube allows only such a low resolution, original footage was HighDef and looks good. Enyone could tell me how to send 100MB or bigger file?

YouTube - Ice freediving Wisconsin 2007

Just watched the video and its 100%.
I’d love to try something like that must be out of this world.
What was the sound track?

Last edited:
Peter,

Great job on the Video!!! Love it. Hope all is well with everyone. Is anyone going diving this Saturday? Again, the ice dive was a great time...good people, good food, good adventures...isn't that what life is all about?

I find myself more and more drawn into this sport because, I find that when I am engaged in it, I am the happiest than at many other times...

Let's all keep up the good work & help the Wisconsin group grow!

Gene

What was the sound track?

Cheers Mate!

I am glad You like it, the songs are:

Fort Minor "Remember the name"
Robbie Robertson "Unbound"

... and of course Didgeridoo by nostres

Last edited:
Hi Gene!

THNX. Too bad I am working this saturday and this sunday won't work either. I want to do it again before ice melts. Next weekend maybe?

I know what You are talking about, very addictive. But kind of addiction I don't want to get rid of...

Nostres, great job on the video wish i could have been there with you guys. Tommorow i will do a slush dive at lake geneva hope its not to windy want to try my monofin.

Awsome vid! It loks like a super good time and I wish I could have been there. Beautiful!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT