• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fiber Optic Sights for Pneumatic Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Would you consider making a sight like this for your pneumatic gun?

• Sure!

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Not worth the hassle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, perhaps, not sure...

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Great stuff Gecko... you are a true Sub-Aqua-Innovator :D

I think the rear sight would be best as a 'Ghost Ring' aperture style... rugged and well protected, fast to use as your eye automatically centres the front sight. Easier to use in low light and typically used on military firearms used for quick battle action!

WGOS Ghost Ring Rear Sight.jpg
Williams WGRS Ghost Ring.jpg

Haha, thanks but I am just kinda being heavily influenced and then adapting a little...

I made a new sight which incorporated an idea that I had from seeing another shot gun sight called the Easyhit. The idea is that the glowing end of the fiber optic rod sits deep in the tube. To see the sight clearly you have to line the gun up correctly meaning that you are already on target. I think it is a bit the same as the round rear sight, that it aids in acquiring the target very fast.

I am not sure if this works underwater at all though, haha. The refraction might play games with the sight and I don't really know enough about it to foresee what's going to happen. I theorize that the dot could become really small, or the opposite. We will see.

On land it looks like this:
FIBER OPTICS_V2_45_800PIX.jpg

The screwdriver points to where the fiber ends:
FIBER OPTICS_V2_46_800PIX.jpg

And here a triptych trying to illustrate how that once you see a full circle, you will be aiming straight (last pic):
FIBER OPTICS_V2_50_B.jpg

Very ingenious... though 'sight radius' is also the issue.

Having a ghost ring rear sight and an optic fibre front sight maybe 90cm away from it makes for a long sight radius and theoretically a more accurate gun.

On a centrefire rifle with a range of a couple of hundred metres this makes a BIG difference but on a speargun with a fixed maximum range of ~10m this may be a moot point?

Many years ago I remember a sight called the "Red Dot", it may still be available as I have not remembered it until now and have not looked for it recently. It was for rifles and maybe shotguns, but the principle was you looked with one eye at the red dot (which was aligned to the bore of the weapon) and your other eye looked at the target. This created a superimposition in the brain by the stereoscopic merging of the images, the red dot appearing to float over the target. Now I recall some users swore by it, while others swore at it, complaining that they felt that they were going cross-eyed when attempting to use it. It may have also been called "Hot Dot", I cannot remember as this was when firearms could be purchased at many gun shops and sports/fishing shops in the city which changing firearm regulations have totally eliminated for many decades. However it would be interesting to know if such a system worked for the spearfisher as you already have the "red dot", or whatever other colour you decided to use.

I just googled it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dot_sight

Another reference: http://www.opticsden.com/best-red-dot-sight/

Shotgun sights are discussed here: http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-red-dot-sight-for-shotgun/

It seems to me on reading the above that this "Red Dot" was something slightly different, but the major aspect was you had to use both eyes and the timing of the product was around the early seventies.

Last edited:
When in doubt look at the Brownell's website... one of the biggest online retailers of firearm parts and accessories in the world!

Five pages of Red Dot sights...
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/red-dot-sights/index.htm

I like the Trijicon MRO... compact, rugged and waterproof to 30m... looks perfect for a pneumatic speargun and on sale for only US$493-$544.99
https://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/Miscellaneous/TrijiconMROSpecs.pdf

Just need Gecko to mount an AR-style Picatinny rail on top of his gun :D

Just to complete the reference to the laser sight on the "Seabear", here is their advert from 1996. The passive sights discussed here in this thread are a better proposition as they don't add a potential snagging hazard like this bracket mounted laser does. Plus if not properly aligned to the shaft flight at some range where the two lines intersect then the laser will not provide much of an advantage.
Seabear advert 1996 R.jpg

The claims on the advert are somewhat fanciful and relied on a market not being fully aware of the true story behind these guns.

my efforts...

Attachments

• line.jpg
    line.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 303
  • line2.jpg
    line2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20160828_192413.jpg
    IMG_20160828_192413.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20160828_192424.jpg
    IMG_20160828_192424.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 303
my efforts...
Very good, perhaps you can describe your technique in application of stripe to ensure such a good result in terms of the alignment. Hard parts affixed by what method at front and rear? Your gun is a "Cyrano" with a carbon fibre tank or sleeve?

Just a quick update.
My trip to the Philippines did not yield the results I'd hoped for. I had brought styrofoam targets but the pool at my disposal had a viz of, literally, less than two meters.
So, no sight calibration, target and penetration testing of different shaft thicknesses and pressures:-(.

I did find out that the fiber optics work best when the end doesn't sit deep in the tube but rather, goes all the way to the end. I still suspect there might be a refraction issue making the dot tiny but in reality, the bigger issue was that often the tube would hold air bubbles that would make the front sight almost impossible to see.
This happened every time the gun had been on the surface. Getting the bubbles out was not easy so I cut away the tube until the fiber end was just exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a drop of detergent on the sight tube might help wet it down by breaking the surface tension to eliminate air bubbles.

Thought about it (I do that on GoPros sometimes). Just figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Anyways, it's too late now - I cut down the tubes already;-)

All are good . i am also suggest some .
Best 1 inch scope rings-best scope mounts
If you know your art, then you also probably know by now that a proper scope ring is just as important as any other component in the world of weapons and firearms. To make sure that your rifle and scope gives you their fullest potential, you will need a quality scope ring. And that’s exactly what we are here to help you with today! Hello and welcome to our article where we will be introducing you to some of the best scope rings out there!
View attachment 52183
View attachment 52183

Welcome spammer:-(
Can I humbly suggest you remove your completely misplaced post right away. That way, the administrators won't have to ban your profile completely. Though perhaps they should as I don't think you have any proper spearfishing products or knowledge, right?

Welcome spammer:-(
Can I humbly suggest you remove your completely misplaced post right away. That way, the administrators won't have to ban your profile completely. Though perhaps they should as I don't think you have any proper spearfishing products or knowledge, right?

Too late - they are gone :)

Just on the theme of speargun sights I purchased this green laser plus mounts for a rifle attachment rail or piggy-back on a scope. The main goal was to get the green laser as at US$I6.00 it was unbelievably low cost (some eBay sellers even had it at US$12.00!), even though the mounts are useless for speargun applications. Now as is the laser is not waterproof, but it is something that could be encased in a clear tube and mounted on a pneumatic gun. I just regret throwing out an old Underwater Kinetics “Super Q” light screw cap sealed one-piece clear polycarbonate housing that would probably have swallowed this laser whole after the adjustment knobs were removed.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tactical-Green-Dot-Laser-Sight-Rifle-Gun-Scope-Rail-Remote-Switch-For-Hunting/401544579364?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
green laser china 1.jpg
green laser china 2.jpg
green laser china 3.jpg

This complete unit is very similar to something that costs US$270 in the West, so there are some short cuts taken somewhere, but a marinized green laser in a waterproof screw tail cap switch flashlight housing costs US$99.95! Another possibility would be to use the laser, suitably buried somewhere in the gun, to illuminate via light pipes the glow sights that started this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar
Well as discussed way back in this thread, some other "eyes" are looking over these threads, including the designers at LG-Sub!
LG-Sub front sight 1R.jpg

There's a Corsican(?) spearo that has used fiber optics for a long while - perhaps/probably longer than me, so they might have gotten it from him.
He uses some long custom made vacuum guns with extra floatation nicely wrapped in a carbon sleeve. I haven't watched his videos for a while but his guns were branded Carbonazzi, I think. Perhaps his name was Fabrice/Fabrizio... I'll try to find him at another time.
Come to think about it, I think perhaps it was in one of his videos that I spotted the muzzles from Dima the first time around.

Hi. You talk about fabrizio Ibba?

In fact carbozzi spearguns were made by a corsican guy named Romain Orrazi. He stopped to sell spearguns but another guy named christophe Cattini continues to create and sell Carbozzi guns.

Indeed there is optic fiber on some of the carbozzi guns

(As an example, here it is one of Romain Orazzi spearguns).

Attachments

• A5785282-077A-4738-B27A-8C79FB532E07.jpeg
    A5785282-077A-4738-B27A-8C79FB532E07.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Reactions: Diving Gecko
It would be good to see these "glow sights" underwater in order to gauge how bright they are. On dull leaden sky days it can be surprisingly clear underwater and while on shore one may think it is no good for diving, but when you plunge in it can be very good, but the water must be crystal clear. Under these conditions I wonder how well will they glow? However if the plastic has a light chargeable component https://www.glowinggecko.com.au/?gc...ZljcJYYVBjkklacJQ-E8e_WAatW53-ixoCoGoQAvD_BwE then maybe the sights would illuminate under all ambient lighting conditions as when internal reflection fades away inherent luminescence takes over.

If you think about it the mainstream manufacturers have been lazy in their latest offerings as their guns are devoid of imagination, the ugly “Cyrano” (nee Evo), the ugly “Predathor” muzzle and the humpback Cressi “Saetta”, although in the metal the latter is surprisingly the best looking of these three as photos don’t do it justice. However it is the less ambitious of these Italian guns, probably being stimulated by “it will be embarrassing if we don’t offer something new soon as the “SL” has been around longer than most of our employees”. I have not mentioned the Omer guns as although the "Airbalete" made everyone aware of something new, it was the ugliest of all these guns including the "One AIR" paddle and only redeemed by the Omer XII which was the gun choice of Russian President Putin.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT