• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fiber Optic Sights for Pneumatic Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Would you consider making a sight like this for your pneumatic gun?

• Sure!

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Not worth the hassle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, perhaps, not sure...

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Fiber optic sights work surprisingly well. I feel like I can always seen mine clearly irrespective of the ocean and light conditions.

As for your take on the overall state of the pneumatic gun industry - especially the Italian side - I wholeheartedly agree;-)

Hi. You talk about fabrizio Ibba?

In fact carbozzi spearguns were made by a corsican guy named Romain Orrazi. He stopped to sell spearguns but another guy named christophe Cattini continues to create and sell Carbozzi guns.

Indeed there is optic fiber on some of the carbozzi guns

(As an example, here it is one of Romain Orazzi spearguns).

Yes, Ibba with the lovely boat and the swank sunglasses, exactly;-). Thanks!
Is he Corsican Italian, French? Or is that a mine field to get into...?
That gun is exactly as I remembered it. A long piece of fiber optic glued in place at the front, an UBL muzzle (I think) and the reservoir is a normal alu one with foam shaped around it and then wrapped in carbon fiber.
I suspect, to improve the air flow, they may pull the power regulator bulkhead out of the Carbozzi guns, too? Do you know?

Well as discussed way back in this thread, some other "eyes" are looking over these threads, including the designers at LG-Sub!
View attachment 53274

As for LG's implementation, I could be wrong, but I think it's too short to get the most out of the idea. My understanding is that the longer the tube is, the more light it gathers and "pushes out" its ends. The LG one is as short as some handgun ones, but they are mostly used in better lighting conditions.
This is why I try to make mine as long as possible though I now try to keep them from being on the reservoir as I need to be able to get a good grip for servicing the gun.
I also noticed Ibba's sight is really long.

I think LG were looking to create a stylish gun and tricking up the front sight was easy for them to do it this way as it fell in with how they make the Manilu "Revolution" gun. More on this later, but now I know a lot about the gun and how it is made and why it is so expensive. Personally I think they have left themselves stuck in a corner if they continue in this way.as in a sense the gun is not a mass production item as set up costs are replicated for each one of them. The reason for this comment is based on the conclusion that there appear to be zero molded parts used anywhere in the LG-Sub gun..

Yes, Ibba with the lovely boat and the swank sunglasses, exactly;-). Thanks!
Is he Corsican Italian, French? Or is that a mine field to get into...?
That gun is exactly as I remembered it. A long piece of fiber optic glued in place at the front, an UBL muzzle (I think) and the reservoir is a normal alu one with foam shaped around it and then wrapped in carbon fiber.
I suspect, to improve the air flow, they may pull the power regulator bulkhead out of the Carbozzi guns, too? Do you know?

Yes Romain (and Now Christophe), improve the airflow, pull out the power regulator, and use sometimes stailess steel barrels. Other people do the same in Italy or France to improve the pneumatics spearguns. It works pretty well. I did improve the airflow of my last speargun (135 mares sten/ seac asso hybrid without PR) and it is pretty powerfull even at 20 atm !

And you are right saying the longer the optic fiber is, the more lightfull it is.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Yes Romain (and Now Christophe), improve the airflow, pull out the power regulator, and use sometimes stailess steel barrels. Other people do the same in Italy or France to improve the pneumatics spearguns. It works pretty well. I did improve the airflow of my last speargun (135 mares sten/ seac asso hybrid without PR) and it is pretty powerfull even at 20 atm !

And you are right saying the longer the optic fiber is, the more lightfull it is.

Yeah, the Italian tinkerers have been pulling the power regulator bulkheads out of guns for a long time, I was just wondering what Ibba's guns have in terms of mods.
If I get enough time in a pool some day, this is one of the tests I would like to run; same gun, same spear, same pressure but with and without the power regulator bulkhead in. Also, if keeping the bulkhead, it would be nice to see how much of an improvement the newer Evo bulkhead with the bigger air transfer bore or the Predathor bulkheads have over the standard Sten or Asso bulkheads.

If you hunt near rocks, or have rocks hidden under sand and are shooting downwards where the shaft will be travelling fast after it rips through some luckless victim then the power regulator is a necessary evil to save your shaft tips. Putting more pressure in your gun improves performance and you can live with the power regulator on most guns. Big fish, long gun, well you don’t need a regulator on a gun like that and that is why companies offer guns without a regulator block.

Although the topic here is optic sights, and let us get back to that, the upstream curved segment power regulator valve on the Scubapro “Magnum”/Salvimar “Vintair" & “Predathor” is there for the purpose of unplugging two ports rather than one and thereby boosting the breathing. The ports can be opened up as long as the rubber pad can still seal them shut, a slight lip on the ports aiding the sealing action, so you need to provide something similar if you open up the ports and cut that lip away.

Last edited:
I think these sights could be sold as aftermarket "add-on's" if you can make barrel clips, say a pair, to support and align them on the barrel tube. The front sight can go on the existing sight lug, just need to figure out how to attach it and chop away the original, or use it as part of the anchoring mechanism. I would like a pair of green sights at the rear and a red one up front, but which gun to put them on as I now have too many!

Looks like others have had the idea of selling glow sight kits, but for terrestrial weapons. Under 20 bucks US.
https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/....99 CAN DO?20190121&utm_term=Electronics USER
glow sight set R.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up ordering this set as only AUD 19.00 with free shipping https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Airsoft...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

There were magnetic attachment shotgun glow sights available for about USD 25.00, but shipping virtually doubled the price which made a good proposition technically a bad one from a cost viewpoint. As with buying spearguns from the USA you are looking at USD 80 to USD 90, or even more, just to ship them!
Simple glow sight kit.jpg

Here are a set of HI VIZ sights which come in a number of varieties, but for non-US buyers shipping will about double the price.
hi viz shotgun sights.jpg

http://www.hivizsights.com/product-category/products/shotgun-sights/

To add to the cheap sight that I purchased I also bought the set shown at post #49 as I can use the extra plastic red glow rod to possibly convert the rear sight to paired glow dots as well. Note that these sights must fade over time as many sellers offer spare glow rods as replacement parts.

Last edited:
Yeah, I came across these back when I started researching the idea. That last one looks good. Also, there used to be one called something like "Gobbler Sight" or at least something with gobbler. I think it was quite affordable, too. Generally, I like the idea of the shotgun sights more. They tend to be longer and fatter.

Yeah, I came across these back when I started researching the idea. That last one looks good. Also, there used to be one called something like "Gobbler Sight" or at least something with gobbler. I think it was quite affordable, too. Generally, I like the idea of the shotgun sights more. They tend to be longer and fatter.
I nearly bought the shotgun sights and there were plenty of sellers on eBay, but they wanted too much for shipping, sometimes more than the cost of the item! US readers will not have that problem, so they are the ones to go for. The sights mentioned in post #51 looked very cool, but the seller does not ship to OZ..

I feel like my very first sights might have been shotgun sights but can't recall any longer. I remember shopping for them but perhaps shipping issues (China does not allow any gun parts to be shipped in) meant I only ever did window shopping and then had to make my own.

I have found that, for me, the best size that I can get my hands on is 3mm rod. But then the next one up is 6mm which is too big. For the latest version of the Mirage Evo muzzle I actually turned down some of the bigger fiber optic rod I had to make 4mm rods which I think might be the sweet spot. Anything smaller than 3mm for the front sight is quite small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a search on my laptop and a four year old Amazon order for the Truglo Gobble Dot turned up. I had it sent to a friend in the US who brought it to me in China. So, my very first foray into fiber optic sights was indeed an over the counter shotgun sight (I paid 20 bucks for it):
TRUGLO GOBBLE DOT.jpg

On another note, it scares me how bad my memory is. I blame the retarded binge drinking culture of my youth...;-)

[EDIT]
DUH, I could also just have read my very own first post on this thread where I talk about this exact sight... Sometimes I feel like my grandmother who in her 90s was smart enough to write a grocery list but would forget to bring it to the shop.;-)

Last edited:
Don't worry about it, it is easy to forget minor details when there are more important things to remember. It occurs to me that some of these glow sights could be chopped in half giving two for the price of one. Especially when you consider the short glow sight on the LG-Sub gun.
LG-Sub front sight 2R.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hxk
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT