• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin muscles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fpernett

Nov 7, 2001
Hi everyone,
What are the muscles involved in fin swimming (mono and bi-fin)?.
Are differences from horizontal vs vertical swimming?

Thanks in advance

For bi-fin, the quadriceps are the primary muscle group that will be involved.

To a lesser extent, the hamstring and the glutemus maximus (spelling?).

The key issue here is to realize that the majority of freedivers kick incorrectly (utilizing a bicycling motion) and as such, use an inefficient form of finning underwater.

I've always had problems with foot cramps and have tried various types of fins and techniques.
It doesn't seem to matter what technique I use.
The cramping starts in my foot, then moves to my calf. I've just recently purchased my first set of long fins and feel most of the strain in my ankles and calves.
Could the problem be stemming from technique, big feet (46), or lack of strength? The long fins I just got are 46-48 footpockets, so the width doesn't seem to be a problem.
Any ideas?

Originally posted by ImLiquid
I've always had problems with foot cramps and have tried various types of fins and techniques.
It doesn't seem to matter what technique I use.
The cramping starts in my foot, then moves to my calf. I've just recently purchased my first set of long fins and feel most of the strain in my ankles and calves.
Could the problem be stemming from technique, big feet (46), or lack of strength? The long fins I just got are 46-48 footpockets, so the width doesn't seem to be a problem.
Any ideas?

Try eating more bananas the day before diving. Potassium apparently helps with cramping. I suffer from the problem too.

I have discovered that the moment I started a regular regimin(sp?) of nutritional supplimentation, I have all but removed the problem of cramping.

Also, doing lower leg lifting to strengthen the quads, hamstrings and calf muscles will make a big difference.

Your kicking technique probably needs to be evaluated as well. I have discovered that too many freedivers use a modified bicycle kicking motion that wreaks havoc on their performance underwater.

You can also try drinking products like gatorade or any of the other sports drinks - which also helps with hydration if you spend a long time in the water...

spell and kickcheck...

a. Gluteous Maximus b. regimen :head

The potassium in the bananas will help; I knock back a couple on the way to the beach everytime. Also really warming up and stretching before and after will help out. And for the first couple of dives and every other or so after, take your mind out of "how deep and how long can I go?" mode and really focus on your kick. The kick involves almost every muscle down South and needs most of the muscles up North to work correctly. Especially that Northernmost muscle between the ears. Focus on extending the foot with your fins and starting the kick from your hip, like a whip, not a pedal. Oh... and it's supposed to be fun, too. ;)

sven

Cramping and nutrition

Cliff,

You mentioned nutritional suppliments have helped in the cramp dept. I struggle with hamstring cramps regularly. What type of vitamin, etc would you suggest.

Chris H.

Re: Cramping and nutrition

Originally posted by chrish
Cliff,

You mentioned nutritional suppliments have helped in the cramp dept. I struggle with hamstring cramps regularly. What type of vitamin, etc would you suggest.

Chris H.

Nutritional supplimentatiion has played a role in my not getting cramps, but also remember that working the muscle groups associated with fin swimming is also a large part of the equation.

I do at least three days a week of cardio on an elliptical machine called the Reebok Body Trec. I do 30 minutes of intervals and this has helped greatly. I then go to weightlifting for 45 - 60 minutes after the cardio. When I am getting into the groove for the season, I will work on lower body lifting - specifically the hamstrings - via hamstring curls on the universal machine at the gym I workout at. Try to do lower weights and more reps and then gradually build up from there.

The suppliments I use are from GNC called "Distance ". Although it is suppose to be a post workout drink, I use it during my workouts and it has made a tremendous difference in my weightlifting sessions and while in the water or pool.

I also use a creatine suppliment 3 times a week - in an effervescent form called Pro Performance® Effervescent Creatine . Avoid the monohydrate version as the body passes most of it. I also take this in the morning on an empty stomach to readily absorb into my system.

Hope this helps with your question...

supplements!!

Hey, anyone here needing supplements or info, (the real, correct and educated info), give me a ring. Your DB wordsmith happens to have a very smooth, insider thing with a major supplement rep, and she'll hook you up dakine. Send me a PM or email, and I'll forward it...

sven - DB's advocate of better living through supplement reps ;)

o' natural

guys.... with all due respect, try to use your head here on these issues. everyone's body is different and you'll not always have the same response to supplements as the next guy. i believe the simpler you keep things, the bettah! :cool: plus, having downed a cabinet full of capsules isn't going to leave you with a clue of what's improving/hindering what. :confused:

my take on finning is this: it all depends on where you are in the water column and what sort of diving you're doing; whether you're spearfishing or just going up n down; and... what temp the water is. and remember, there's no wrong way to kick. it's just that some ways are better than others for certain people/body frames.

and like sven said, it's a leg thing. every muscle in your legs are getting worked. some more primary than others, but some of the lesser stressed ones aren't normally used like they are in the water. these are the ones that hurt will suffer the most, post dive. and, it's mostly in your ankles and shins(tendons and ligs in the ankles and your anterior tibialis in your shins.)

a good tip for cruising is using your hips with stiff legs/ankles as your propeller and utilize your calves/shins to flick your blades. for more power, like for up n down, try to produce a back leg stroke just as powerful as your front leg stroke. bicyclist will agree that your hamstrings have a lot of reserve in em and come in handy when your quads are fatigued.

gotta run,
andrsn

first off, congratulations on 500 posts andrsn..

secondly, i use to get terrible foot cramps when doing just about anything (running, biking(until i got biking shoes), swimming with and without fins...you get the idea)

anyway, i started using the calve press at the gym, the first few times i didnt feel anything(not enough weight) once i got the proper weight, i felt the same cramps(as i feel doing other stuff) in my foot, this only happened the first time i got the weight right, after that, i increase the weight by 20 lbs a week, no problem, no more foot cramps EVER, i havent had a foot cramp for about 7 months

thirdly, i dont believe in supplements, i think that in a balanced diet everything you need is there (then again, im just a kid, and nurtition isnt my strong suit), now if i dont eat a balanced diet, then i just wont get everything i need, oh well,
most of the people i race with take supplements, creatine, some really weird stuff(dont know what it is but its like a lesser version of creatin), some other people take alot of vitamins and other stuff, and they think they can just eat bad after that, their loss i guess

thats my 2 cents

The most usual result of taking lots of supplements is pissing something more expensive than champagne. Few people know what they rally need and as a result eat a bit of dis an' dat. The body then makes it best at trying to excrete all the unecessary stuff, and in the process piles up all sorts of contaminants, like lead regularly found in calsium supplements.

Even if you knew what you needed it's quite difficult to get it in the amounts you desire. Many products contain much less or much more of given nutrients than what is claimed in the label.

So what I am trying to say? That maybe we recreational sportsmen could use our hard earned ?'s and $'s more efficiently on fruit and vegetables than on pills.

Ossi

not THOSE kind of supplements, kids!

These are the real kind, totally natural and freshness dated. You think I look this good naturally? I agree with Ossi, but don't tell her that...;)

Although, call it subliminal or whatever, I do notice when I don't take my daily multi's. And don't even get me started about forgetting to take the St Johns Wort :waterwork

Jeez, I start taking roids, I might go be a competition-type spearfisher, again, God forbid, and then where would we be without all the little fish?

sven

Re: o' natural

Originally posted by andrsn
guys.... with all due respect, try to use your hand here on these issues.
andrsn

Is this where all that silicone spray comes in, uh, handy??:mute

sven -DB's advocate for all things lubed

svenny, i take a men's daily food based vitamin. i don't really skip out on that. i was referring to supplements like amino's and phosphogen and "performance" type stuff.

when are those halibutts coming down?! :confused: i'm hungry! :(

you left your estrogen here last month..

I'll be out there in FL-land doing arm curls with the qbn before the flatty's show.

sven

Floffies?

Forget the armcurls Sven, you already have the perfect seal-shaped body! ...

..A little norwegian nudging there... :D

Lasse

flatty's, as in flatfish. Not floffies.

Geez, after a post like that, please tell me you're Victoria Silvestadt's sister and your visa is current. Ever go ab diving?;)

What the heck's a floffie?

sven - DB's perfect seal shaped kinda guy

:)

Floffies is things hanging a bit you might say, and makes noises when blowing in the wind....

Victoria might be my sister, good enough?

This tread is ruined by the way... what was it about in the first place....? Oh, yea, one thing SVEN: it IS gluteus maximus, at leat it was on my last exam, and they do not change latin any more , do they....?

Do not dive after abs, just cat-fish.....

Lasse , norwegians do hunt seal......

neither my floffie or my gluteous Maximi are waving in the wind, and the noises are akin to the Tabernacle Choir...

your seeester eh? hmm.:chatup

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT