• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Finding the right gun...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Awww Mike! Massive smooth karma! Have an extra '03 Ford F350 with the Powerstroke?

somebody find me a tissue...:waterwork

sven

hi

Sven that was some of the smoothest promotion of the railgun ive ever seen from you. Dont lie now im sure you have a railgun hidden out the back so that when your mates come you dont have to spill the info :D

cheers

Hi Andrew / Ivan,

Looks like your question in Oz forum been answered by Rob Allen the man himself. Actually I got a few questions to ask him but I rather not since I don't yet own a RA. You know me when I ask technical questions to a factory guy, he will have a hard time answering me. Too much imagination on my head...wha ha ha.

Anyway Rob been good to answer all of ur & other boys questions. It sems the warranty respond been great too, that is something hard to find.

I recall my friend have a small Picasso. That unit must have the trigger like ur RA since they supply RA. Let me rip it off when I have time and I will tell you what I think. My main concern about trigger is not only the 1st sear that holds the shaft in place or the 2nd sear that ur finger push to fire. I am always and forever worried of the pins that hold those sears. In all logical sense, any load cause by rubbers on a trigger is loaded to the sears and thus eventually the pin that holds everything. It is the pin/s that allows a trigger unit to sit and carry that load to the pistol grip in Euro type (also JBL ) and to trigger housing (modular ) in Riffe, Alexander, Aim-Rite/Wong and Kitto's. So if the pin is strong, it will be up to the pistol grip ( Euro and JBL ) or trigger housing material to take the load. Plastic is not all that tough you know.

If you take a carefull reading on Kitto www, he pointed out the strength of his trigger pin because eventually the pin is the item that take all the load (assuming the sears are all already tough).

Since 16mm x 2 is reccomended, I am sure you won't have any problem, just becareful where it is aiming.

Take Care.........

Paul,

These are some pretty knowledgeable spearos here. Take what they have to say w/ some understanding of where they're coming from. No one's trying to make a buck off of you, so they're only biased to what works. Remember that when you talk to people who are selling a product, there's no doubt that they're going to tell you that what you need is what they've got. :blackeye

So many of us have been through what you're going through right now. It seems that you're more caught up in toting the sleekest local weapon instead of looking at something's that's going to do what you want it to do. :confused:

Word of advice.... keep it simple. The less bells and whistles you have on your piece:)D), the better. A light, maneuverable gun is definitely the way to go. Riffe's are sooooo simple yet rock solid. Rabitech's and Rob Allens are practically maintenence free, balls on accurate and easy on the bank account.

My suggestion is either a riffe C1/RA 90cm or a riffe C2/Rabitech 110cm. My buddy, Aquiles, and I have shot the majority of our fish w/ guns less than 120cm's. :hmm And, we hunt in Florida over the reefs you're considering.

Ebay has C2's up quite a bit. Florida Freedivers has both the RA's and the Rabitechs. You could even go pay Cherryl and Mike a visit in Clewiston(florida freedivers) and check out what they have.

Just make sure you put your money into something that's effective and not just target marketed for the "cool" people.

Good luck,
Anderson

Weird Fish:
It's like being a kid in a toy store, oh yeah we are kids just with more expensive toys. Seriously, I would stay away from any JBL gun. They are just too unreliable. Euro guns are fast tracking, pin point acurate, easy to work with in current or surge, and quick to reload but often lack penetration at distance. Wood guns are powerful, accurate but slower to reload, and track. I personally have only two guns; a 55" rear handle Darryl Wong, and a 66"custom Blue water gun made by my dive partner. The Wong has been so faithful that I have shot everything from tiny reef fish in holes (using only band), to Mahimahi in the blue with three bands. I have hit Ono with this gun but they have all torn off. The canon is strictly for the blue water. I am probably going to get a 100 cm Rabitech for my next gun because of the integrated track, quiet release, and but extension on the handle. Those Euro guns can be painful to load if they don't have a but on the handle. Sounds like you're going to hunt some sizable fish so I suggest a gun with some power. A two band euro around 120-130 cm would be okay but a three band Riffe or Wong 50-55" would probably be more versatile. Have you considered a hybrid gun by Wong? Wood gun in the rear with a titanium or carbon fiber barrel. From what I've seen and heard, these have the power of a woody with the mobility of a euro. Like most divers, you will probably end up with a whole assortment of guns depending on the conditions you dive in. Start off with something versatile first then get into the more specialized guns. Happy hunting.

Brad :martial

hi

Iya yeah Rob answered those questions pretty well I feel much safer swimming around with my big cannon. BTW On the weekend out spearing on the outer reef I saw a fish that you probably would have loved to spear. This was one beast of a GT my mate and I estimated between 80-100lbs, it was so high and swam with so much power that its tail seemed to throw an extra 2 knots of current behing him :D I dont shoot GT's fairly poor eating but I just watched and respected such a powerful oceanic creature it was so cool :cool:. Stupid me only took my 110 out with no spare rubbers and the Rubber of course snapped out there so I had to watch my mate take a shot at a 60lb spanish mackeral and clean miss :duh I was spewing and almost felt like ripping the gun out of his hand and taken the shot myself.

cheers

the right gun

Hi Paul

The right gun depends on what you use it for. From your other posts, it looks like you are into relatively shallow water, freediving, spearing reef fish, grouper snapper, etc. If that is the case, consider a hawaian sling. It takes some practice, is worthless on scuba or for larger pelagics and has slightly less range, but I have done what you are doing for many years and will nearly always outshoot a diver of similar ability who is using a gun. The extremely low drag, ability to shoot two or three times on a dive, quickness, and dead on accuracy(if you practice), make it a worthy choice. Buy the sling components and make one that fits you exactly. Half inch amber rubber, small hole is a good starting point. You will want to go see the Bahamas where slings or pole guns are the only legal gear. Get someone to take you to the Gingerbread Grounds, with a very large cooler., you will need it.

Good luck,

Connor

Re: the right gun

Originally posted by cdavis
The extremely low drag, ability to shoot two or three times on a dive, quickness, and dead on accuracy(if you practice), make it a worthy choice.

Sounds like my C1 riffe except at a 12' range. :t

Anderson

Originally posted by w3ac
Weird Fish:
It's like being a kid in a toy store, oh yeah we are kids just with more expensive toys. Seriously, I would stay away from any JBL gun. They are just too unreliable. Euro guns are fast tracking, pin point acurate, easy to work with in current or surge, and quick to reload but often lack penetration at distance. Wood guns are powerful, accurate but slower to reload, and track. I personally have only two guns; a 55" rear handle Darryl Wong, and a 66"custom Blue water gun made by my dive partner. The Wong has been so faithful that I have shot everything from tiny reef fish in holes (using only band), to Mahimahi in the blue with three bands. I have hit Ono with this gun but they have all torn off. The canon is strictly for the blue water. I am probably going to get a 100 cm Rabitech for my next gun because of the integrated track, quiet release, and but extension on the handle. Those Euro guns can be painful to load if they don't have a but on the handle. Sounds like you're going to hunt some sizable fish so I suggest a gun with some power. A two band euro around 120-130 cm would be okay but a three band Riffe or Wong 50-55" would probably be more versatile. Have you considered a hybrid gun by Wong? Wood gun in the rear with a titanium or carbon fiber barrel. From what I've seen and heard, these have the power of a woody with the mobility of a euro. Like most divers, you will probably end up with a whole assortment of guns depending on the conditions you dive in. Start off with something versatile first then get into the more specialized guns. Happy hunting.

Brad :martial

Good point ! ! ! Do you really think that you can buy one for 200 bucks????:D

which gun is right for ME

I guess by now you have been virtually assulted by the guys "pushing" their favorite guns. The best gun by far is the one YOU feel comfortable with. Not just with tracking, but with LOADING. Why have a complicated, expensive, umpteen band gun that you cant load efficiently? Anyhow, time for my pitch. I have several guns(you will too if you continue to spearfish) and use them for different situations. Recently, my better half picked up a riffe C3X at a flea market and it is smoooooth as silk. Its a little on the small side but a dream to load and shoot. I alson have a Picasso Century, Sporasub Viper Elite and last but not least the old standby JBL GulfMag XHD. As was said the trigger group is somewhat crude but beefed up. This gun has been through hell and back and still continues to put 50lb AJ's on my table at 10 feet away. No, they are not good to the advertised distance unless in the back yard. I dont recommend firing the JBL out of the water. OUCH. So, having read all these posts, go out and spend your last dime on spearguns, floats, running lines, and etc. With all the fresh fish you will be spearing you will be glad you did.

Reactions: rigdvr
Gotta love the G XHD! When I scuba, I leave the riffe on the boat and take the good ol JBL. It is sooooo much easier and quicker to load.:D :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT