• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fins for Beginner suited for Shore and Natural Spring diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dear Eeyorie, you're stuck in the dreaded beginner-gear-quandary.
We've all been there. At some stage you need to make a decision and when you've made it, your learning curve will begin. I doubt there is anyone on this forum who hasn't bought a product which... isn't suited to him, doesn't fit, doesn't fulfil its promises/hopes, is a complete dud, still lurking at the back of the cupboard.
As a beginner you want a moderately soft, plastic fin. It doesn't really matter if it's Cressi, Mako, Mares or Omer. Most companies make decent gear, and hey, if it doesn't do it for you, send it back, sell it on Ebay, sell it to a friend or put it up for sale here on the board.
You'll be fine.
Thanks ^_^
I'm just trying to like analyze every detail... Which I guess is silly since I'm a beginner...

Unless you can make it to a dive shop that stocks many different brands and sizes of freedive fins, you will just have to make a decision and hope the fins fits you well. Free shipping and returns is a big plus in this situation. Don't forget socks. They make a difference in how a fin fits. Lycra, 3mm, 5mm.

Ohhhhhhh; blades only, gotcha.
Sorry I'm dumb =/

Thanks for the help! I'm really leaning towards mako since the cressi's don't hav ethe removable footpockets or whatever.
I don't know how the Mako Competition's and Cressi Gara 3000 LD's compare with eachother...

The MAKO freedive Hunter fins are VERY similar to the Cressi 3000's....

https://www.makospearguns.com/Freedive-Hunter-Freediving-Fins-p/mfhff.htm

We also have a bro deal on these fins - for the remainder of the month

You aren't alone in your search! I've been looking for a new pair as well for vacation in a few weeks. Personally I went with the Mako fiberglass, 85cm. I haven't received them yet, should arrive early next week. If you're unsure still and can't decide, I would go with Mako or Scubapro. Their customer service is amazing and they stand behind everything they sell (even the $5 little things). So if it doesn't work out they will definitely take care of you.

I have heard great reviews of Omer as well but I have never used their equipment.

The only fins that I have personal experience of out of any of the fins mentioned here are the Seac S900 that your brother bought. Great fins, you get out what you put in and I don't think that you can really ask any more than that. Also, as said before I would imagine that soft/medium plastic from different manufacturers are of similar quality, if not out of the same factory even.... in some cases :D At the end of the day its you that power the fins, you are the engine and the fins are like gears, high or low........... kind of! ;)

I live in Gulf Shores, where do u come dive when u come down here? I'm always interested in new dive sites near, where do you dive where you live, where in Alabama? sorry not helpful to your original question..

So it's been since April so I'm guessing you've already sorted this out, but i started with omer stingrays, got carbon blades and now have the ambush that i put the carbons into.
Great pockets, the angle could be a little steeper but they're still good for surface kicking.
One thing you need to be aware of is that different brands seem to be different widths.

Go for a soft fin, don't let anybody tell you different. Stick with plastic till you have more experiance. The difference is nice, but hardly critical and there is a lot of expensive poor quality stuff out there.

The Beuchat looks like a pair I had, quite stiff. I was not impressed with the pockets.

The Cressi Gara 3000 is an excellent, bullet proof, reasonably soft fin, but it has to fit your feet. Cressi pockets are traditionally on the narrow side. Fit me great, but I have friends with wide feet that dive in cold water (thick booties) that can't wear'em. You will not be wearing thick booties, so the Cressi's are probably all right.

I completely agree with Cdavis! I have a pair of Cressi Gara modulars. I got these because I am mostly a shore diver, and the terrain around my area, just to get into the water is extremely harsh. The risk of bringing in carbon fins is too high!

The fins are plastic, and very durable, and the best thing is, you can replace the blades as you continue your freediving journey! Its quite affordable as well, i bought mine for $200 AUD

I also agree that you should go with soft fins. I can recommend the Omer Stingray Winter fins. You can switch out the blades for harder ones later or if you want to go carbon later. Also the foot pockets are soft and medium wide.

Hi! I'm a beginner and use the Cressi Gara Modular LD. I don't often use them as right now I'm training in a swimming pool and shorter fins are more convenient imo but a friend of mine uses the Mares Razor and they seem pretty nice (they're softer and the foot pocket is less wide). Too bad we have different shoe size otherwise I'd have loved to try them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT