• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First Static Warm-up time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's your first hold time to go for a PB?

• below 1:00

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 1:00-1:30

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • 1:30-2:00

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • 2:00-2:30

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • 3:00-4:00

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • 4:00 +

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

BlueIcarus

New-born freediver
Aug 1, 2003
What's your first warm-up breathhold time
for an Static Training going for a PB???

I have seen that even those that do 7:00+
do their first breath-hold in the 1:00-3:00 range!!

My PB is 4:15 (not bad if you consider i begun
to even know what freediving was this year around June. I'm pretty happy with the results!!) and I have
notice that I warm up with a 2:00 hold, In the next
I can't even reach 3:00, but If I warm up to 1:00,
then I can hit 3:30 in the second.. Any body knows
what is the logic between this? i.e: what should be the hold time progression to a PB???

Cheers and good Blue,

Oscar

Reactions: donmoore
hello,

I try to build it up, so first hold max. two minutes, second to three contractions and after that try to hold it longer.

I think you just need to play around and find what works for you - even on a particular day. If you are a bit cold you will want to get to your goal hold quicker for example. Most people I know start with a 1 minute hold. I start with a 1 min 30 and generally do something like
1 30
2 30
3 00
max

Deepest Bear on the other hand just goes straight into a 3 hour hold no warm up - incredible!

Sam:t

Hi Oscar

If I push the first static (or even the first few), I find it very difficult to get to close to a good static or even a PB.

When I just take it easy through the first few statics, I am much more relaxed and it seems easier to push the final one.

I usually start off really easy with a static of 1 minute and increase that by 30 seconds for the next 2-3 statics before starting to push harder. I often take 4-6 attempts before I go for a max.

This really works for me but as Sam says, it's a very personal thing. What works for you and me won't work for many others.

Cheers

Ash

yes.. I noted that first statics must be very mild.
For me, just 1:00 or 1:30 will do a well beginning....

But any reasons why this short statics (far away from contractions) makes you go right to your PB??
(instead of longer, like 2:00-2:30 I mean)

Also.. what are your breath-up patterns in these warm ups? The "standard" 5-1-5-1 with
full (near 70-80% lung volume) and both active inhale and exhale?

Does your breath-up changes along your path to PB?

Is it split in two parts, like half abdominal breathing
and purging and half ventilation with the above or other pattern?

hehe, too few instruction here in Madrid, so too many questions :)))

Last edited:
hi

Blue I remember Karl pernett saying that for his warm ups statics he did 1:30 of ventilation and a 2:30 static which is very small, but by the end of the session he is doing 8mins + So I dont think the warm up numbers are that important ;)

cheers

This patterns are almost used in Pranayama Yoga,
but are also used to indicate breathing times in the breath-up preceding a dive/static hold.
The numbers are seconds and the first number is the duration of the inhale, second is the retention (with almost full lungs) time, third is exhale time and
foruth is retention with empty lungs.

So this pattern would be: 5 seconds inhalation,
1 second pause, 5 exhalation and 1 second pause,then follow again the cycle: 5 seconds inhalation, 1 second pause...

5-1-5-1 is almost the "standard" pattern for ventilation

Hyperventilarion is this:

0.5-0-1-0 with pasive (recoil) inhale
or even something like...

0.25-0-0.5-0

it's real fast breathing from the belly with passive inhale and strong exhale (opossite from normal breathing

Wellcome to this amazing forum steve!!

There are two factors that you can modify and play around with while planning a WU. first: increasing the BH time and second: decreasing the rest periods. May be a good combination could be three BHs of 1:30 with decreasing rest periods, and the next BH to the half of your goal; or may be add two more BHs to reach the last BH warm up (but maybe in a cold pool is not a good idea). Anyway, some days you will be set up with only two BHs as WU but some other day even the best Wu will not be enough. The reason is still a mystery . . .

Hi,
my first warm up breath hold is about 1:30-2:00, i stop it if the hart part of a breath hold starts!
My training mate`s first breath hold is between 3:30-5:20; the last one between 5:20-6:30.
greets

I find my breatholds better for the day if I make myself struggle a bit on the first breathold - like 2 minutes or 3 if I've been doing a few statics the day before. Just seems to make the next ones easier.

I have not been doing statics lately, however back in april, my first breath-hold was my PB (7+ minute, one 8+). I am not sure how much, but I think it helped a lot that I was performing breath-holds almost immediately after waking up.

Routine: wake up, fire-breath, hold for PB. Get on with the day. ;)

Decided to try some statics again, but different than I ended last April with.

I did one warm-up breath-hold to 4:40 with a 3:00 breath-up.
Did a breath-up of 5-7? minutes. Didn't count the time. Held for 7:21.
Wondered if this was my peak at this moment, so I did another 4-6 minute breath-up and held for 7:10.

Cheers,

Tyler

Good going Tyler, just curious, what's your lung volume?

Adrian

lung volume

I have never tried on a very accurate spirometer, however of the two types I have tried:

1. 7.1 litres
2. 6.3 - 6.5 litres

So I suppose I am probably somewhere between 6 and 7.5 litres. I did notice that one's general capacity changes after doing packing often. I used to not pack ever. My reading was initially and consistently 6.3 on one spirometer and later after doing packing was consistantly over 7. That is not packing during the spirometer test. I usually only get another litre out of packing, if that. So I think the most I have achieved a reading of was 8 litres.

Oh and by the way those statics I did as stated in my previous post, were late at night (1:00am). Dry of course.

Re: Fire Breathing

Breathing in and out 2-3 times per second. A breathe-up that quickly removes CO2 and replenishes O2, without using full inhales or exhales. Like very fast panting.

In Yoga there is a practice where you perform the same type of breathing, yet the focus is on alternating the direction of your diaphragm. Opening your throat, the diaphramatic movements are solely the cause of air entering and leaving your lungs. You do this as fast as you can while ensuring almost full movement of the diaphragm. Trust me it is a lot harder than it sounds.

Cheers,

Tyler

Fire breathing sounds a bit like very fast hyperventilation..? And I thought the golden rule of freedivers were "don't hyperventilate"?
How long do you firebreath before static?

The idea of "not hyperventilating" is with regards to diving. This is because it causes:
- a lowering of blood pressure; increases the chance of a shallow water blackout.
- a heightened feeling of well-being for longer than normal lengths of time; throws off your sense of how much time you have left before needing to surface.

With regards to statics, in my mind, everybody is hyperventilating in theory. There is just a fast way to do it and a slow way.

The "slow way": Most people going for 6+min statics do breathe-ups for 6+min. This effectively removes a lot of CO2 from the body, which then puts one into a hyperventilated state.

The "fast way": I discovered for myself that I did not need to do 3-4 breathe-ups and warm-up statics to achieve the same results. Instead just starting with one fire-breathing session for 1-2min and then hold, has consistently got me 7+min and one 8+min.

The danger in statics, for everybody's technique that involves removing CO2 from the body, is the lowering of the blood pressure that might cause a blackout or samba at the beginning of the static. Especially for those who pack. Most people do not expect it and the partners do not even notice or watch for it. However, that being said, in all cases I have heard of, the breath-holder having a samba due to this, always retains closure of the air-ways. But I would not want to rely on that.

6min breath-ups for 6min static? i don't know anyone who breaths-up for that long - i don't see the benefit.

fire breathing... it doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. no amount of breathing is going to significantly increase your O2 storage - we all know that. it seems that fire breathing just blows off tons of CO2 and raises the metabolism and heart rate. that should have a negative effect on breath holding time. doing an 8min static is impressive, and i'm even more impressed that you've managed it after fire breathing! the results you get from fire breathing don't really mean much on their own - you should compare them with other preparation methods. maybe with ultra high CO2 tolerance and much slower, calmer breathing preparation you would be doing 9mins+ :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT