• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First Trip to Coz

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mike,

I agree tha MOV files are a bit harder to work with than MPEG's. And when I first got the camera, I too was a bit let down by the vid files. But now, having seen my final results, compared to other MPEG1 recorders (cameras), I would not change this feature. This is because the Quicktime files made by the Olympus are compressed very very little. This makes for large files, but also means the raw vid is better. MPEG require CPU power, and not all cameras are fit to keep up. The usually translates to 30 sec max vids, choppy framerates, or poor resolution.

I use plenty of compression. All MPEG's are compressed to some degree. What differs is the bit rate. The only, truly uncompressed video comes in AVI or MOV format. And this usually runs about 200mb/min. Standard VCD (MPEG1 format) bitrate is around 1100 kb/sec. That equates to about 10 megs a minute. This is the format I use. Fact is, even at 1100 kb/sec, the file is still smaller than the original MOV. And don't forget, you want some compression (to remove the static). I've tried converting the MOV files to uncompressed AVI and the results were NOT as good as compressing them to MPEG1. The best I can describe this "phenomenom" is that it is like using the 'blur' feature on photoshop if a photo appears too sharp.

Bear in mind that [even] MPEG encoding has come a long way in the past few years, so make sure your using current software/codecs. True that Divx and Xvid have pretty much dominated the DVD ripping arena, but good ol' MPEG has been chugging along right beside em. And WMV files (formerly known as ASF) have come the furthest in my opinion. Streaming video should always be your first choice when size matters.

Ted

Storage media?

Not to continue going too far down the wonky technical-detail trail here, but I'd be interested to know what you guys are using to store pictures while on travel. I have three 512-MB CF cards that, between them, managed to hold me for three weeks in Europe last summer. But if I was really shooting up a storm (or doing a lot of video) I might conceivably exceed that. Some of my photog friends use laptops or other storage devices.

So, Ted, what all did you use when you were in Mexico?

Frank,

I only own a 128 mb card. I bought a 1 gig card a couple months ago, but had to return it (long, boring story). So before I left, I asked for 'donations' ;). Jon spotted me his 512 card (bless his soul), and a coworker gave me two, 128 smart media cards. All in all, I think I had about 800 or 900 megs of storage - and used about 700 of that. I did take it upon myself every night to delete the really crappy photos and vids. This saved a lot of space, but more importantly cleaned things up. No one wants to view a slideshow of someone's vacation where they have to look at the same damn photo 10 times. Pick the best one and can the rest!

It's been about 5-6 years since I have bee there, but Cozumel is still one of my favorite places to go.

The vis is outstanding. Here's a shot of a coral arch. HT etop is in 15' of water and the sand at the bottom is around 85'. That's just a sample of how nice it is down there.

jon

Last edited:
There are also a ton of fish and some sleeping sharks that you can stumble upon. Nothing too scary, like the S.A. boys and girls dive with:D , but still neat to see.

Jon

Last edited:
There are also some pretty impressive tube sponges out on the wall. This guy is around 7'-8' tall.

Jon

Last edited:
The current along the island is so strong that many of the fish can be found hiding on the lee-ward side of the coral heads. It's a lot of fun to drift along with the flow and then pop down the backside of a coral head to escape the current, and see the fish!

Jon

Last edited:
For the scuba divers there are hunfereds of small coral caverns to swim through.

Some of the shallower ones will allow a freediver to swim through, depending upon your comfort level of swimming into an overhead enviroment with out the benefit of a tank.

There are schools of glassy sweepers and other small fish inside of them. You can usually see daylight the whole time your swiming through them.

jon

Last edited:
THere are lots of things forthe freediver to see. Some are actually quite shallow.

Here is a shot of a fish who is helping to construct the beach on the island.;) After they eat, they crap out sand from their other end. Over time you have enough sand to build a time-share on.:eek:

Jon

Last edited:
This little guy was in about 18' of water. I had a great time watching him build a nest. He found all kinds of old pieces of dead coral that he would swim back to pile up and build a nest with. I have heard of birds doing this but for some reason never realized that fish did the same thing- until I saw it.:duh

Jon

Last edited:
THis little critter tried to hide from me by blending in with the soft corals around him. He is a trumpet fish, though people in other parts fo the globe will have other names for him. I think he was in around 10' of water.

jon

Last edited:
Some fish, like this grouper, were a lot easier to spot. There are some grouper that get as big as 250 pounds out on some of the mid depth reefs- around 60'.

Jon

Last edited:
I have been to Cozumel in August, Decmemer and April. tTe best time of year was August and the worst month, for me, was December.

The west side of the island is normally flat calm and the east side gets all of the waves. As a result almost all of the diving gets done on the west side. The park takes up the entire south west part of the island.

THe one December that I was there left us with huge waves that hammered on the west side, where all of the hotels are. You can see the waves breaking over our normally calm beach which resulted in everything being closed. When I was down there a couple of dive boats did sneak out, against the harbour master's orders, and SUNK! Luckily everything is close to shore and everyone made it back to land safely, but it doesn't inspire a lot of condfidence in you dive operator.

Jon

Last edited:
And when in Coz, don't forget to ...

take a boat over to Playa del Carmen and do some cenote-hopping.

Over three trips to the Mayan Riviera, we've swam/freedived in a bunch of em.

This shot of my wife and son three years ago at the Gran Cenote on the road from Tulum to Coba has memories for me because it was my first trip with an underwater camera (Ikelite Aquashot).

P.S. Very cool shots, Jon.

Attachments

• liz-alex-cenote.jpg
    liz-alex-cenote.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 405
After all of the big wave action on the East side left us heart broekn we decided to rent a car and go check out the west side.

This is the part of the island that normally has the big waves, but that trip it was flat calm. The unfortunate part was the shallow water that seemed to go on for ever and the much stronger currents that we encountered over there.

The local dive guides also talked of tiger sharks on this side of the island, but that could just be to scare people off from their prime spearfishing grounds.

BTW: This side of the island also boats a sunken galleon and a nude beach- neither of which did I get to see.:(

jon

Last edited:
After too many days out of the water we finally flew over to the maimland to check out the ruins of Chichinitza. The plane ride was about $75 a person and the ruins are quite impressive.

Here is a shot of the main alter. You could see it sicking out of the jungle as we flew in. IT was amazing!

Jon

Last edited:
I'm finally catching up with some of the forum posts and have to say a double CONGRATS to Ted for his video and popping the question!

The only problem is Ted - how are you going to accomodate ALL the DB forum members who are going to gate-crash the wedding :D

Ted and Frank,
Thanks for brining up the info about video, Santa brought me a
C 5050 :D :D :D and now I am aiming for the casing. (Da sun is shining! :cool: ) So I hope to learn from you guys, and Jon as well. How about making a C-5050 users thread in the photography section?

Jon, those pictures of Cozumel are nice, the Caribeean can be really nice, or very harsh as well. I also once was on a small sailing boat with small weather craft warnings out, ( the Captain didn't tell us!) and we capsized :) The worst part was having seen some shark fins a few minutes earlier! :hmm No one was hurt though.

And then there was the night that while camping on the beach we woke up looking into the muzzles of army rifles (this was in the Dominican Republic) We had to convince the army patrol that we were not a communist guerrilla group infiltrating the island! But that's wildness of another sort. Not to mention a drunken officer that started to strafe the water with his machine gun, pissed off because he tried to drive his VW beetle into the beach and it got stuck...sometimes it was like the wild west out there.

Adrian

Ted, great story and pics! I am headed to Coz Thursday until the tenth and can hardly wait. It is our 4th yr in a row and will be a really nice change from the cold quarries. I will be doing some scuba too so I can sip air and take in in all the sea life.
Jim

Saweet Jim,

Post some pics when you get back. I saw many loggerheads, but never had the camera at the right time.

I hope the wind has died down in the past couple weeks.

And if you get burned out on fajitas, try La Prima. Very snappy Italian place.

Ted

Reactions: flyboy748
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT