• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish 'n' Chips Mate! You'll Love 'em

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fish_Nailer

Mar 31, 2005
I have a great recipe that I am sure everyone will love - It is the way I eat all my fish & it is SOOO easy mate! You will find that this works on almost all fish species!!!

Prep Your Catch
Prepare your fish properly. Don't bother about gutting or scaling the fish just fillet it & then skin it. If you are not very good at fillet & skinning maybe you should learn. When you have your skinned fillets make sure you cut out any dark spots or blood lines in the flesh, this is very important when using salmon, also cut out any bones. Then cut your fillets into chunks, it doesn't really matter the size, however smaller pieces will cook faster, generally I cut them into 2cm strips. With big fillets cut the fillet in half long ways before cutting the chunks.

Heat your Oil
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 180C, if you don't have a deep fryer get the biggest pot you can & 1/4 fill it with oil (could be as much as 1.5 Litres of oil - but don't worry you can re-use the oil) & put your heat on about 1/2 (be very careful if you are just using a pot as you can do lots of damage if the oil overflows, also its getting a little too hot if it starts to smoke).

Prep Your Batter
OK now you need to prepare your batter. This is easy:
1 Just get a bowl & put in some self raising flour (for one or two fish about a cup will be heaps) If you don't have any self raising flour you can use plain flour & just add 1 tsp of bi-carb soda or baking powder per cup of flour - this makes self raising flour.

2 Add a healthy shake of ALL-PURPOSE-SEASONING (about 1 teaspoon), if you don't have any use salt & some dried herbs or something, anything that's tastes good.

3 Get a whisk & start pouring in a bit of water, add enough water till you get a nice consistency. You want it to be a bit runnier than a runny honey (sorry :-\) If you add too much water you can always add more flour.

Prep Your Chips
Real hard lads, just grab a couple of spuds & cut 'em in fat chunky wedges, don't even bother peeling them, although if they are the dirty spuds do wash/scrub them ::)

Cook Your Meal
Make sure your oil is hot, if your using a deep fryer the thermostat will tell when its OK but if your using a pot a good way to test is to hold onto one of your chips & dip it into the oil a bit, if it immediately starts to bubble & fry then all is good.
First put your chips in & allow 'em to cook for about 5 minutes, till light golden. When your chips are light golden you can start adding your fish, all you have to do is chuck your fish bits into the batter & mix 'em around a bit. Then add the fish bits to the hot oil one at a time, making sure that you wave the fish bits in the oil a bit before letting go (this will make sure they don't stick to the bottom). Give your fish about 3-4 minutes & your sweet mate ;D Scoop out your fish 'n' chips straight into your plate/bowl.

Eat Your Meal :D
Just add salt & eat. You can add lemon if you like or even dip in a bit of mayo mmmmmmmmmm ;)

You will love fish done this way & you will find yourself eating fish that until now you didn't even like! The fish I have eaten cooked this way include: Red Morwong, Banded Morwong, Blue Morwong, Silver Trumpeter, Black Drummer, Blackfish (Luderick) & Salmon mmmmmm* ;)

a beer batter is yummie too.just get plain flour and add beer until you get the right thickness and viola! nice and fluffy batter.

Reactions: sinkweight
Thanks for the recipe mate but I find fish'n'chips too oily, the chips takes the taste out of the fish!

When I was in australia i used to peel the chips of the fish and give to the seagulls!

Maybe its just because I grew on seafood without the added batter, here we just dip the fish in flour after we seasoned them and then we deep fry!

Said

I would have to agree with Case. Nothing beats a good beer batter..especially if you make it with a Guiness

And i'm Canadian origionally so VINIGER!! Lots and lots of Vinniger!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmmmm smothered all over fish and chips (allways loved the white and not the malt)

As far as spicing the fish batter, I'v always loved the following combination...in order of quanitity, of course.

cracked peppercorn
dried crushed basil
dried crushed thyme
sweet paprika
cayenne powder*
powdered sage*
garlic powder*

*small amount

But then, that's just me.

Reactions: Alison
well, comparitively speaking, that is.

I season to taste, and I like a lot of taste.

I think Alison meant that you may be referring to yourself as a "small amount".

Hi Fish Nailer

Cooked the Nailers fish and chips last night. Preceded by Alison's Prawny Type Starter.

Having the bite size fish pieces was excellent as it enables fish and chips to be eaten with a fork lounging around in front of the TV.

Found some batter spice at the store the other day and I bought it specifically for this recipe.

This is the first time I have ever cooked fish in batter as usually I steam or BBQ it.

Certainly yummy.
Thanks Mate

Poida said:
Hi Fish Nailer

Cooked the Nailers fish and chips last night. Preceded by Alison's Prawny Type Starter.

Having the bite size fish pieces was excellent as it enables fish and chips to be eaten with a fork lounging around in front of the TV.

Found some batter spice at the store the other day and I bought it specifically for this recipe.

This is the first time I have ever cooked fish in batter as usually I steam or BBQ it.

Certainly yummy.
Thanks Mate
Hey Poida! Glad you liked it! Best thing about this recipe is all you really need is flour/water & oil for a basic mix, you can basically make the rest up as you go :p

im a kiwi, so i live on fish and chips!!! i usually just dip em in beaten egg than breadcrumbs or flour and grabs chips while im at it but im keen to try some of these methods .... just gotta find me some fish...

Im with Jay, usually dipped in beaten eggs followed by flour with "lemon and black pepper" spice. Fried in oil and topped with lemons. Mmmm

doesanyone have any methods of cooking the fish whole?? ive had couple of meals where theyve bought out like thisbut didn't get how they do it??

i was also using flour for deep fry until the last time, i heard from one of my friend that if you don't use flour, fish flesh will not absorb the oil as much as they do while using flour. I tried it last time and liked it a lot, its not oily at all. Just a tip.. :)

If you make the batter and then spread it on the fish using the back of a spoon so that it isn't in a real thick batter , it will go real crunchy and not greasy at all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT