• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Float Comparison

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mastoras

Jan 17, 2003
Hey Deepblue Buddies:

I've read all your comments about float devices and so forth.
It seems a majority of you agree that RA floats are quite good and fairly priced. Riffe seems too costly, yet is also an good float system and various other brands have been named.

Question: Does anyone out there in the "Big Blue" have any thoughts on the new Omer Torpedo Float (similar to Riffe)?
Comparison--Good, bad, price, etc...?

Thanks.:)

Dude you mean OMER Torpedo float vs Riffe Float?

I haven`t seen Riffe torpedo float but OMER`s topedo floats are pretty common here.

1- OMER torpedo float is 45 dollars here. Riffe is like 150.
2- OMER torpedo float is very small compare to Riffe.
3-OMER torpedo float`s material is very low quality and thin compare to Riffe (I guess).Probably its true.

So you are trying to compare Ferrari with Mitsubishi.rofl

BTW did you see the new float of OMER. Its looks like more pretty stuff then toprdo model.

hi

Cmon guys anything that the boys at Ra S africa make is the best :D we all know that right Sven.

cheers

I have used the OMER Torpedo float for a while now. It has been a great inshore float that has stood up to quite a bit of abuse. I use it 50%+ of the time. I use it around our local jetty and it's only wear is a slight fading of the outer cover due to the sun. I use my RA's solid foam floats for offshore work though. The only downfall being their portability. They do not travel well.
I have begun to look at portable bluewater floats, and in my mind there are 3 main contenders: Riffe, Aimrite, and OMER's new America float. They are all 3 built very well...they are Hi-Vis, include a mouth inflation valve and a dump valve. They have pockets on the top. The main differences seem to be in 2 areas. Only the Riffe and OMER have Hi-Vis stand up dive flags. Aimrite's flag is sewn to the buoy. Riffe has a built in ballast, the other floats(not 100% sure about Aimrite) have pockets for ballast. I like this better so that you can customize the amount of ballast. As for cost they vary between US$120-150. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but I am pushing towards the Aimrite and OMER. In my area, visibility is pretty key due to the boat traffic at some of the inshore spots, so I will probably go with the new OMER float...It has the flag and two silver reflective ends to keep the mullet packing morons from running over me.
If you won't be travelling, get the RA's...awesome for the $$$!

matt

Mattedhead actually clarified the Omer Torpedo float as the new 'America Float' which I had mistaken.

I know there are price variances for each name brand.
Riffe: $150, Omer 'America': $88, RA: $? and so on....

I plan to travel to various dive sites, so portability is a key factor. Inflatable seems the better option at this time. RA's float(s) seem great for being close to you favorite dive site(s), BUT I live in Toronto, Canada and I need to travel to those locations.
As for quality are the Riffe float and Omer 'America float'
one in the same? Should I dish out the extra $$ for the Riffe?

Your thoughts.

What type of fish are you going after? Just curious. I would go for the OMER, hands down. They have nearly all of the same features, including the material. They are both made of 210 denier nylon. This is pretty heavy duty stuff. It is the same ballisitic nylon that BC's are made of. They both have pockets, flags, ballast pockets, stainless D-rings etc. IMHO the OMER is higher vis. The only real difference is that the Riffe has handles on the sides, while the OMER has a handle in the rear of the float. I'm not sure if that warrants an extra $62.

matt

matt:
Ideally I like to spear Tuna (yellowfin, bluefin when seen), Wahoo, Grouper White sea Bass and so forth.

I too feel that Omer's products are very good because I nearly have all items from them regarding spearfishing--wetsuit, fins mask, etc....
Only my gun is from Riffe with a breakaway system rigged on the butt, 25'ft float line, extra shaft, slip-tip.etc....

I know price means alot, but if they are relatively (floats) the same then I'd rather save $62 and invest on something else for my equipment.

Thanks.

Originally posted by mastoras
I know there are price variances for each name brand.
Riffe: $150, Omer 'America': $88, RA: $? and so on....

mastoras,

Where'd you get these prices? :confused:

Anderson

Anderson:

These prices are from the dealers link in the Riffe website and as for Omer's price from the directly at--www.omerdiving.com link on the omer logo and contact Mark Laboccetta via email.

Even the pro shop at our forum site offers the Riffe float.
Check it out. Some good prices.
;)

hi

But dont those inflatable floats crush at depth. Your yellowfin may take all your gear, stuff that :D

cheers

Then do you suggest a rescue can filled with foam or are there any other alternatives to this question?
I think these inflatables could withstand a pound or two. Plus if you make a proper kill shot on your fish then the fish is totally imobilized.

I need some input to make a final decision.
Inflatable or non-inflatable.

The inflatable floats have quite a bit of lift to them. Many people are using these for bluewater hunting. How often do you hunt for 100+ lb fish, anyways? I think the concept you need to go for is what's the lightest in the water (ie. low drag). I'm getting to the point where I'm looking at drag in my floatline and want to decrease that as much as possible, too.

The RA's are great for inshore and such. I've landed a #30 kingfish on a 7 liter one and had no problem at all and I didn't place a kill shot. He ran for about a 1/4 mile or so. Anyways, the inflatable ones are the best if you're traveling. The RA's still weigh quite a bit since they're foam blown. And DEFINITELY stay away from foaming a lifeguard can! It'll weigh as much as the rest of your gear combined. :blackeye

If you're going to put in the money, and plan to travel, get an OMER or an Aimrite. :cool: Or, if you want to hear a review on the America Float by OMER, wait a bit and I'll report back to this thread when it comes in.

Later,
andrsn

Is the "america's" float the same as the "atoll" that I have seen on www.piratescuba.com ?

Looking forward to trying my new RA floats (2-11liter foam blown, 1 ballasted with flag) on some tuna and hoos this weekend. Looks like weather will be good sat and so-so sun but unless the front after this one doesnt stall, calling for 40kts on mon
:( ...only 35kts today, thurs, and fri:head

will let everyone know how things go. The only problem I am having is deciding on a connection between the 2. Andrsn suggested a bugie 5-10ft and I liked the idea, but have no way of obtaining a bungie before the weekend...any other ideas before I make a short floatline between the two?

hi Rig

That is some quality equipment 2 11ltr Ra floats you deserve a Tuna for that. No ideas on the connections between I reckon just put another standard floatline between maybe 70 - 100ft :cool:

cheers

you can get the 2 RA floats for the price of one good inflatable. Great unless you do much air travel...

The RA floats are great for your all you fishing needs. The inflatables it seems are good for traveling only.
Perhaps you could carry the RA's in a separate bag from the rest of your gear. I know that's alot of baggage to lug around, but at least you might get the best of both worlds.

rig,

I wish you would have told me about your being at a loss and I'd a sent you that bungee. :( I'd definitely advise against having a long floatline in b/w them since you'll be among a lot of boats. The more compact you make your setup the better.

I'd suggest coiling up a thin floatline and securing the float loops and the line together w/ a small cable tie. Again, this is so that when a fish sounds the first float will pull apart from the second and leave you w/ that xtra amount of line to play the fish with. Just remember to keep your second line at most, half the length of your main floatline. And, get a cable tie that'll fail under the pressure that it takes to submerge the second bouey. :t And, just bring a cable tie for every fish over #50 that you plan to shoot. :D

Good luck!
Anderson

Originally posted by mastoras
matt:
Ideally I like to spear Tuna (yellowfin, bluefin when seen), Wahoo, Grouper White sea Bass and so forth.

I too feel that Omer's products are very good because I nearly have all items from them regarding spearfishing--wetsuit, fins mask, etc....
Only my gun is from Riffe with a breakaway system rigged on the butt, 25'ft float line, extra shaft, slip-tip.etc....

I know price means alot, but if they are relatively (floats) the same then I'd rather save $62 and invest on something else for my equipment.

Thanks.

Just advice from freshmen;

If you are hunting tuna or anything else ''BIG'' the most important tools are float systems. Good float can save your fish + your whole gear and even your life. So don`t think to save few dollars and take these risks. In that situation you should buy something tested by others hunters that performing sme kind of hunting. I heard that some top blue water speros using Bugie board as float.Dont ask how i have no clue or you can either use two infalable float like two Riffe float connected together. Another option that i read somewhere is to connect rob allen hard float with Riffe float or you can use hard rescue floats too as Abri. Just few words from freshman. ;)

The Atoll and America floats are very different. The Atoll float is more of an inshore float. Perfect for shore diving when you want to carry an extra gun/food/gear. Never tried it though.

matt

got time to figure out my float configuration now...blown out for this weekends trip:( Been a gale warning all week...and its damn cold too. Amphib, see if you can keep all that damn canadian air up there somehow so the rest of us can dive!:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT