• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Scott; I'm out of town this weekend but several people in the Gainesville area are into/getting into freediving. Check the Florida Sportsman forum under Big Bend non-fishing for a post called "Aaron's freediving" or something similar. There is a group planning to hit Troy this weekend and a couple camping out in the area. I just found this site so am still learning my way around.
Troy has been ~73' lately with the low water level. It is by far the best of our local springs and a great place to train. Good luck.

Troy

Aaron,

Thanks for the post and info on the other forum. It looks like those guys are meeting on Saturday around 3. I will probably be at Peacock by then (starting off at Troy in the AM), but I may swing back by.

I'll look for "Spottybottom" and "Windsplitter" at Lafayette Blue Springs campground if they end up making it there (that is where I will be camping).

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,
This is Brian. I dove with you up at Blue on Sunday. I have 6 freedivers that are interested in doing the DB meeting in November. I think that it would be great to do it up at Blue and have a cook out. So long as we are still able to dive. Blue will be closeing down the swiming and diving soon, due to the manatees. There was one at the head spring on Saterday. I'm still looking for the post about the meeting you told me about. Let me know what you find out about it and any other dive trips that you do. I would be interested in diving with you some more.

Also, If anyone is interested. A group of freedivers with be going to Troy Springs State park on Sunday Nov. 5th. We are also planning on diving the Blue Hole at Ichnitucknee State Park that same day. If anyone is interested, you can e-mail me for details at kronek@hotmail.com.

Brian,

I haven't heard anything about a DB get together in Orlando, but I will let you know if I do.

How was the Troy Springs trip?

Thanks,

Scott

Troy Springs went pretty good. I had a few divers that could not make the trip on such short notice, and a few others that backed out at the last minute for verious resons. Still, we had 6 freedivers at Troy and 4 at Blue hole. Every time I dive the Blue Hole I find something new. There is a second room that I never knew was there. I will definatly go back to check it out some more. Troy is always a good dive. It is compleatly opposite of Blue Springs. I don't get as much bottom time, but it is well worth the trip. I just learned about doing a negative glide for depper depths, so I got to try it out at Troy. I was a little lite for that depth, but still got a good glide. It really makes a difference. A lot less effort.

I'm going to try and get a few freedivers together at Blue this Sunday for one last dive. Blue will be closing in a week or two due to manatees. I will get there about 9 a.m. and stay for most of the day. Let me know if you can make it.

Hi Brian,

Sounds like Troy was fun. You sure had some good company.

I'm up for Blue this weekend, will be there at 8:00. Was planning Saturday, but Sunday could work.

Connor

Conner,
I can probably meet you on Saterday if you would like. I just have to leave by 12:00. If Saterday works better for you, let me know. I'll have more time on Sunday, so I will still get some divers together Sunday as well. This may be the last weekend to dive Blue, so I'm up for diving as much as possible.

Brian

I'll be there Saturday at 8 AM (for what it's worth). FYI, this past Sunday there were more scuba divers than I have seen in a long time. Hopefully, this Saturday will be less crowded.

Scott

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for tips/info on Key Largo. Is there anyplace to freedive from shore in that area? From what I read it seems everything is by boat. I will be there from Dec. 8th to 16th.

Any other suggestions on that area?

Thanks much
Jeff

Rub it in guys.:ko Wish I could have made it.

For the local guys near Blue. Can you put up a notice once they do close it?
Appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: Blue Spring

jeff.richardson said:
They've closed it. As of Saturday afternoon (11/11). However, you will never get a straight answer from the rangers about it.

So were done. See you guys at Troy.:friday

Thanksgiving weekend.

Jhon and I will be heading up to Ginnie Springs Thursday (11/23). We will be camping out there Thurs., Fri., and Sat. We will be diving the springs in the area. We plan to dive the springs at Ginnie on Friday. We may also go down the road to Blue Spring. Saterday we will head up to Troy and then Blue hole. I might take a dip in Branford Spring on the way. I don't think it is but a couple of feet deep, and covered with tanic water. But what the heck, it's there. Sunday is still up in the air, and we are open to suggestions. Some possibles may include Orange sink, Peacock, Madison Blue, or anything else in the area. If you would like to meet us in the area, you can call me on my cell when you get there. 386-801-9697

If you are interested in camping, Ginnie springs has sites avalable. The springs are pretty well lit and you can swim untill midnite. Although it can get a little noisey at times. If you want someplace a little quieter, you may try Blue Spring or Troy Spring. I beleave Scott has camped at both of those, so he may be able to give you better advice and info about the camping situations in the area.

I hope to see you there,
Brian

I may meet up with you guys for Sat. or Sun. Maybe both. Got your number.:friday

John/Brian/MKDIVER,

I originally planned on camping at Blue Springs (the one next to Ginnie) on Saturday and diving both Saturday and Sunday. I can now only make it on Sunday and thought I would start off at Troy (trying to be there about 8-8:30 AM) and then hitting a spring or two after that (actually, perhaps I could stop by John/Brian's Ginnie campsite and start diving there). Do you guys have a tentative schedule yet? Let me know.

MKDVR, I'll actually be leaving Sunday AM from Jacksonville, so let me know if you will be heading over from there as well (my cell is 407-496-7981).

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,
Sunday is still up in the air. We can meet at Ginnie or Troy and then go from there. Also, I got the pictures back from Buford. Some of them really turned out great. If you PM me your e-mail, I'll send them to you.

MKDVR,
Give me a call when your in the area and we can meet at one of the springs. If you let me know about when you will be there, I'll keep checking my phone.
My cell is 386-801-9697.

Already have your number as well. Will be in touch.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…