• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

For All Euro Spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
DENTEX

About dentex in the med best aspettos under my opinion are made on flat bottom. Where there are dentex in the area and u choose an elevated aspetto point u will see them but they will always stay out of range. I do aspettos for dentex on flat bottoms and hide completely in the posidonia. If u descend slowly and hide good dentex come head on attack at 20-30 secs. If u c many dentex out of range infront of u after this time its useless to continue. Go deeper or hide better. Best times are just before sunset where visibility is low and dentex come closer for a better look. Btw I also come from Greece from the island of Kalymnos but in UK at the moment.

Ntrik, I use to do my aspettos for Dentex under almost all position, I know some spots were dentex stay in med aqua but most of the time they stay where the temperature is better...(is it thermo-something???...I can't remember the name of this effect, but anyway)

The best aspettos I've done were on rocky bottom where I could hide entirely in a cave... in those case dentex came really close and sometime, you will need a small gun if you want to hit one.

But , most of the time, I do my aspettos (even in winter) on the same spots , (I'm a lucky man as Dentex are present all the years long here in South of France, :p ), but Dentex always came after 1min never less... I'm really surprise that they came before the 1 min in Greece... well, Greek Dentex are maybe more in a hurry to die :)

I recommand this site , It is in Italian but they are good PDFs files on Dentex with cool drawings about dentex spots and so on...

here is the site

Hello Cece

Its called the thermocline and u r very correct in saying that it affects dentex. Basically its a zone where the water temperature is stable compared to the surface temperature. It varies from place to place but to my xperience it can begin anywhere from 8-12m depending i think on how close the dive point is to open sea currents (e.g. inside or outside of a gulf). It is easy to find out. When the cold water hits you after descending for awhile u know u r within the thermocline zone.

Now about dentex to my experience u cannot draw them above the thermocline barrier even if u c them 10m in front of u and do 2minute aspettos in the "hot" zone. This is 100% true for dentex in groups (in the med at least).

Solitary dentex might come really shallow to lay the eggs in late may early june after which they are exhausted and very hungry. One of these I shot in Southern Cyprus a few years ago in 3m a 4 kg dentex with fivehead prong.

Didnt know u had so many in Southern France thought we were the only "blessed" ones. Cool link by the way exclusive dentex site but unfortunately dont speak italian.

Good Hunting

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT