• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Free Diving and Martial Arts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do Freedivers Practice Martial Arts ?

• No Martial Arts

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Judo

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Ju-Jitsu

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Aikido

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Karate (all styles)

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Kendo

• Iaido

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Hisardut

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fencing

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Tai-Chi

• Kung-Fu

• Total voters

roy_nexus_6

Aug 28, 2003
I am curios, how many of the freedivers here, practice martial arts and do you find the physical conditioning provided by practicing a Martial Art, helpfull for freediving ?

I practice jujitsu twice a week. Usually getting battered and twisted is not very helpful but at the end of each session we do some deep breathing exercises and after we do "Mok-su"

Its like meditation for close to 5 mins.

After the breathing i always manage to hold my breathe for the entire mok-su session even if i have had a real hard training session.

21 years of Japanese Shotokan karate. I used to train 5- 6 days a week, now 2-3. I have to agree with Shaneshac- the mokuso, or meditation at the end of class feels just like freefalling into the deep. As far as conditioning goes, apnea exercises, such as walking for example, are much more effective. I know that if I started doing the katas (forms) holding my breath that would be good for freediving also.
Jim

Reactions: Pezman
Brazillian Jiu Jitsu :)

I dont think martial arts help me in any way except just as physical conditioning, but we don't do any form of meditation or anything. If anything I just get beat up and sore which doesnt help diving or anything for a few days

Nope! No martial arts for me... I did some Judo when I was young though... but I play Water Polo so that keeps me pretty fit... next year I am going to do the BNSSM (Brevet Nationale de Securite et Sauvetage en Mer) its some lifesaver thingymabob... and that wqill keep me fit as well! I wouldn't mind doing some sort of martial art though, but more heading in the meditation side of things, I am way to hyper!

For those interested in martial arts, take a look at these guys!
www.teamryouko.com
go to their videos and download some... INCREDIBLE

There's one thing wrong in the poll: The so called 'Hisardut' (Heb. for 'Survival') is not a martial art technique, but rather a hardcore military 'generic soldier fitness' training program employed by Israeli combat divisions and special forces. However, there is a special style of martial arts commonly practiced throughout the Israeli military. In is known as 'Krav Maga' (Heb. for 'Close contact combat'), and is loosely based on the Soviet military fighting style known as sambo (An acronym for 'SAMooborona Bez Orujia' - Russian for 'Weaponless self-defence').

you luck bastards...

I always want to practice martial arts but never able to found a good instructor. When i was younger than 10 i practiced karate for 6-7 months then salon closed coz of the economic problems. 2 years ago i practiced kung-fu for 3 months but i almost lost my eye coz of the non-experienced instructor. Actually never had enough time too because of the school.:waterwork :waterwork

I really want to practice kung-fu, wing chun and kendo (japanese sword, the way of the samuray). But at the end i settle down for bodybuilding:waterwork :waterwork :waterwork

Levi Athan

Some would argue that it is "Krav Maga" that is "'generic soldier fitness" program designed for a short training period and Hisardut is a much more complex Martial Art system that requires more time and training to master, and that is why Hisardut is not widely adopted within the army circles, but taught mostly to S.F. units. However both systems are "Martial Arts" and each has it's pluses and minuses.

I speak from experience as I have practiced both.

Since injuries the from full-contact training don't heal as fast as they used to, and definetly do interfere with my freediving, I have limited my Martial Arts practice to Kendo. Still a contact sport, but less chances of injury.

Actually I posted the poll to find out how many freedivers are also invovled in the Martial Arts and it is not

Best of luck and safe freediving to you.

kendo (japanese sword, the way of the samuray).

ARGH! That is such a cool sport! So hard! Its almost impossible to find a place to do that though. I was lucky enough to try it out when I was in holiday in Japan quite a few years ago... now I just can't seem to find a place :waterwork

question to those martial artists

I heard that, when you saw a death as a way and not afraid of it but fight it accordingly you can defeat every enemy.

How many of you think this way??? How do you train to do that? Is it comes with training or from the spirit??

Is that all sound like a crap???

SB,

I never see martial arts as a sport. With my very very very limited experience i understand that its more than sport. Even a 3 month a training sharpened my senses so much that you are not the same after all. You can even notice that while walking in the street you see everything and you hear everything. Unfortunatelly after get out from the training they had all gone:waterwork

while practicing Tai Chi or even Kata you gain unbelivable senses..

Murat

With experience the manouvres you learn become the natural way you move in a situation. You have to suppress emotion be it fear or rage and respond to the "enemy" with what you know. On the street what you get to know WILL keep you from getting hurt or even killed.

Depending on the situation one properly executed move can be devastating, so with Aikido (my discipline) its basically over in 5-10 secs (e.g. breaking the shoulder).

Every enemy can perhaps not be defeated but training will ensure that you use every advantage at your disposal in an attempt to do so.

"Spirit" (chi) training is very real in its results. You can focus to add energy, strength, endurance, and resilience to pain. Here is a simple exercise: Face a friend standing up. Stretch out your arm infront of you and with the palm facing up and fingers extended lay you lower wrist on your friends shoulder. Arm should be held locked straight but with the muscles relaxed. Look away and concentrate on keeping the arm straight. Tell your friend to apply his full strength progressively at your elbow in an attempt to bend the arm. You will be surprised.

My old instructor was originally started with aikido. He showed me some movements from aikido. Yes its very effective and you have an option to "neturalize" the enemy without hurting him too much...Actually it seems easier than kung-fu once you get the how to grab the joints. Not a fun for the opponent:D

Practicing martial arts can be a tremendously rewarding and life-changing experience. Since I have been doing it for so long I have become a little numb until I read a thread like this. If you have any desire to practice, by all means try it. It is really incredible.
Jim

one of the jiu-jitsu practitioners here has left me a karma feedback and an invitation to PM. The message was signed "Mia" but unfortunatley I have no idea what the "deeperblue" contact for this peson is, and without it I can't contact him/her.

Whoever you are please PM me.

TIA.

Hi Guys,

The karma was grey, as in good but I dont have much to give away. Negative karma is red. Shaneshac you just got for being the other jiu-jitsu practitiner on the forum.
roy_nexus_6, I thought the topic was intresting, I have been practising diffrent martial arts for many years now. I like the body and mind control it gives. Then I'm going to California for a few as in five weeks this autumn and just hoped for some information about diving conditions. I do scuba dive to but my host don't so some tips would be apreciated.

Thanks

Mia

Last edited:
Hey Mia thanks for the Karma.

Martial Arts are indeed awesome. My sensei was taught by one of Jighoro Khano's first pupils "Usheba". For those do not know, Jighoro Khano was the founder of Judo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT