• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Free Diving and Martial Arts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do Freedivers Practice Martial Arts ?

• No Martial Arts

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Judo

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Ju-Jitsu

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Aikido

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Karate (all styles)

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Kendo

• Iaido

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Hisardut

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fencing

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Tai-Chi

• Kung-Fu

• Total voters
Martial arts :)

Hi dear fellow freedivers,
i have been lucky to get a feel of many different schools and styles. Right now I practice for a few years Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo, Taichi and Cchikung, and started Kyudo practise. My other expiriences are Iaido and a touch of kendo.
In a connection with apnea diving, well ... I thing everything you try gives you somenthing that you can use in another field. From What I do now kyudo is the closest, being meditative Zen art. But I think the "inner" development of a person that happens when you practice is something that might help you with apnea. Still .. those are really different worlds, freediving and martial arts :) too different to compare I guess.
Nice thread anyway
C u

BEST MARTIAL ART!!!

The best martial art is no martial art!!! Just be in shape and learn the basics of the most dominant combat sports, jiujitsu, muay thai, wrestling and boxing, get in the ring and be willing to get your ass kicked once in a while. As far as a relation between freediving and martial arts, its a good combination. They might seem to be the opposite but they both require concentration and trust in your instincts. Both have one objective succeding in findind one's self, once you achieve that you'll always win, no matter if you loose a match or not reach your desired depth.

Re:best martial art

I can agree with that statement.

I just finished a seminar with Martin Stepanek and Kirk Krack in Kona, Hawaii last week. The approach by Performance Freediving is that Freediving is a discipline that is supported by natural evolutionary traits. These traits can be awakened, stimulated and improved with training. They barely touch on the spiritual component but it is clear that there is one, in their opinion.

As I swam with Martin and watched him express his abilities, it was clear to me that even though his actions seemed almost freakishly adept, he was demonstrating an acquired skill and was fluent in its expression. At one point one of my classmates got her weight belt hooked on the line and it dropped into 220ft of water. Martin had been doing breathups and sounding for a good half hour at that point. I heard one big inhalation and he dove. He disappeared at about 100ft and it was most of two minutes before he appeared again with the belt. Apparently he took some time to tour the bottom before surfacing.

I did have a great encounter while swimming solo across Kealakakua bay. On the return leg I was diving about 75yds off the shoreline in about 70ft of water. I saw some Ulua on the bottom and dove to 45ft or so with my camera to see if I could stalk them.

I happened to look up and see the silver and blue flash of a very large fish coming towards me. It turned out to be a large striped marlin who, after giving me a glance, continued on his course to pass about ten feet below and fifteen feet to the right. I dove head down and took one broadside pic then turned upright and gave two kicks to take a second shot as he passed me.

Apparently I can't add attachments to this message or I would post the pic... any suggestions?

Anyway, I live for moments like this when I am alone in deep water....

Reactions: DeepThought
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT