• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediver film controversy?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well... I am impressed by how much discussion this film has generated Unfortunately no one actually seems to have anything positive to say about it. So forgive me if I take the opportunity to do so.

The Freediver is based on real events, some of which that happened before the lanyard rule and before most people in this forum ever heard of freediving.

Organisations and people portrayed in the film are based on things that have happened to me personally in the fifteen years I have been involved in competitive freediving.

There was no improper use of names and organisations.

Granted considerable creative licence has been taken to make the film somewhat entertaining.

BIOS for which I am the founder and president did not produce the film. I did. I also wrote and directed it. I enjoyed doing it and will probably enjoy doing the next one.

BIOS, a non-profit organisation focuses on cleaning up the marine environment in Greece and organising Freediving events as a means to show the oneness man has with the sea.

This is I do because I also enjoy it and feel its important to pass on a legacy of care love to my sons.

Cheers

Alki

Alki,

Most of us were around when the events related to Danai happened. I recall Danai Varveri's 71m AIDA world record attempt being posted on the freediverUK guestbook along with a parallel attempt by Manolis Giankos (83m) in the men's event, both of which were supposed to occur on the same weekend in Greece. If I recall correctly, the event was supposed to take place in September 2001, but unfortunately the event was cancelled, I think it had something to do with sponsorship, or lack of.

I also recall Danai's unassisted CMAS record, which occurred quite a while before the above event, however the CMAS dive was not given much publicity, so what was mostly circulating was a 3rd hand rumour that such a dive had been made.

What I found very interesting about the Freediver movie was that it seems to have been made twice. After seeing the movie, I saw a very old trailer that Alun George sent me. Danai and the scientist were played by different actors! And Sebastian wasn't in the movie, and the governing organization was called WSF instead of AIDA !! In fact, Alki and one other actor were the only ones who seemed to be in both versions of the movie.

I'm curious as to why the movie was shot twice? Must have been a real pain!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I'd also like to mention that lanyards were mandatory at the AIDA Swiss World Cup in August 2000 (during training and competition), which occurred over a year before Danai's 71m announced attempt, although lanyards to this day are still not mandatory in individual record attempts (at least under AIDA rules).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric

Danai's record that the story is based on is the 1999 dive that was a CMAS recognised dive. AIDA participation comes in the wake of other dives I have organised.

Originally posted by alki

before most people in this forum ever heard of freediving.

What do you base that statement on?

I look forward to seeing this movie that is about the activity I love more than any other activity I do. If it is good and does it justice, I will celebrate and encourage others to see it. If it is embarassing and bad, then I will do the opposite. I'm sure you enjoyed making the movie, as any artist enjoys creating his art, but ultimately the spectators will decide whether it is good or not based on what they have been presented with, not what the artist proclaims. Artists need either thick skins or a complete disregard for the audience if they are to continue creating. Either is fine, but don't blame the spectator, especially an informed one, for the failure of the piece.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Eric F

The first movie you are talking about was shot on DVD in 2001 - that was called OXYGEN and cost about 40 000 dollars - call it a pilot.

The second version of the same story with some additions was made in 2003 - called THE FREEDIVER - this was made with a sellable "professional" cast and shot on film. I spent a whole lot more money on this version.

People who dont know anything about freediving of which is just about everyone else on the planet see to respond well to the film. NRG test screenings scored 75% thats pretty good for a small indie movie.

The film is being distributed world wide and should start appearing in indie stores and cinemas in spring 2005.

check out the new site http://www.2004.net

Reactions: DeepThought
TOLTEC had a great point.

The Freediver is a movie, not a documentary. What matters in a movie ( a work of art, after all) are things like story, character, visuals and other esthetic values.

Is the world nuts ? We're getting all worked up because a drama lacks technical veracity, yet celebrate "documentaries" that are far more fantastical than many dramas ? Welcome to Backwards World.

I fully expect I'm going to hugely enjoy Alki David's film, even though he hurt my ego by not sending me a preview copy.

**SNIFF**

One more point: I'm certain that actual Star Fleet officers snigger and mock Star Trek for technical reasons, but the rest of us billions of Federation citizens love it.

CMAS never recognized Danai's "natural dive". Only the Greek federation did.

How come that you guys involved in freediving for decades still don't get the difference between national federations and international federation?

Apart from the irony of Eric Fattah, the only one who seems to see things as they are (he accurately describes what is happening with BIOS, AIDA and Howard Jones and undestand how weird the situation is), most of what I read here is simpli not true.

Italians boycotting Big Blue... Italians boycotting AIDA's WC... what do you think, that boycotting is a National Sport here?

CMAS against the depth disciplines that says "Don't do it"? Hey Riz, if you need a copy of CMAS rules for setting CB World Records (there are two of them: Tanya Streeter and Umberto Pelizzari) drop me a line, I'll provide you the documentation in English, French and Italian.

I haven't seen the Freediver movie, so I cannot make any comment on it, but I have a special request for Mr Nagel: please, don't brag.

Joefox

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT