• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving and stimulants

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

robbyzuniga

Roberto Zuniga
Mar 25, 2004
Hi all my friends. I love bodybuilding and freediving. I have encountered a paradox. any type of stimulants gives taquicardia. in spanish countries I worked in a pharmaceutical industry I read passionately about this subject. but to make the story short and if anybody has experience in this:

do stimulants affect your capacity under water? personally I like this stimulants.
caffeine
yohimbe
ephedra: yes i know taquicardia :-(
clenbuterol: yes a lot of taquicardia
thyroids: t3 and t4, used in competitive bodybuilding. and many others, but i believe the last 3 are very strong and way to strong for a diver.

for bodybuilding is good but not so good as a freediver. with your experience what do you advice? do i drop every type of stimulant? I read that many champs endorse red bull and other things. what is your experience? are there such stimulants that help you?

I know that many organizations don't permit this for competition and its better. but if you have any experience I would love to hear from you.

Roberto Zuniga

In my opinion, you should definitely cut out ALL stimulants many days before diving. A very small amount of caffeine doesn't seem to hurt too much, but anything else such as yohimbe or ephedra will have disastrous effects on your diving. I tried yohimbe and my static times dropped by 30-40% and it felt terrible.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

In my opinion, cut out all stimulants regardless of freediving.
It just sounds too unhealthy to me.
I'm not a physician, so my opinion is not backed up by real knowledge or expirience, feel free to ignore it. :)

Yes thanks for the feedback. this stimulants definitely increase heart rate and the idea is to cut them before you freedive.

Thanks I really appreciate your help. I haven't seen courses like PADI for freedivers. As i know, there is AIDA and IAFD. To really practice this sport safely you need somebody to watch you. Let me know how you guys started. I don't go to low because I don't have no buddy.

Roberto

Eric, does the effect of stimulants(i.e. your decreased statics) linger, or is it a temporary efect(i.e. statics return after a week of not taking any stimulanys?

I just clicked on the link I posted above and the . has got embedded in the address. So here it is again for more info about FREE diving education...

http://www.learnfreediving.com

...and take a look at the instructors. It doesn't get much better than this and they're really nice guys as well...actually as is pretty much every one I've met in the freediving community.