• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

freediving and stimulants

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

robbyzuniga

Roberto Zuniga
Mar 25, 2004
Hi all my friends. I love bodybuilding and freediving. I have encountered a paradox. any type of stimulants gives taquicardia. in spanish countries I worked in a pharmaceutical industry I read passionately about this subject. but to make the story short and if anybody has experience in this:

do stimulants affect your capacity under water? personally I like this stimulants.
caffeine
yohimbe
ephedra: yes i know taquicardia :-(
clenbuterol: yes a lot of taquicardia
thyroids: t3 and t4, used in competitive bodybuilding. and many others, but i believe the last 3 are very strong and way to strong for a diver.

for bodybuilding is good but not so good as a freediver. with your experience what do you advice? do i drop every type of stimulant? I read that many champs endorse red bull and other things. what is your experience? are there such stimulants that help you?

I know that many organizations don't permit this for competition and its better. but if you have any experience I would love to hear from you.

Roberto Zuniga

In my opinion, you should definitely cut out ALL stimulants many days before diving. A very small amount of caffeine doesn't seem to hurt too much, but anything else such as yohimbe or ephedra will have disastrous effects on your diving. I tried yohimbe and my static times dropped by 30-40% and it felt terrible.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

In my opinion, cut out all stimulants regardless of freediving.
It just sounds too unhealthy to me.
I'm not a physician, so my opinion is not backed up by real knowledge or expirience, feel free to ignore it. :)

Yes thanks for the feedback. this stimulants definitely increase heart rate and the idea is to cut them before you freedive.

Thanks I really appreciate your help. I haven't seen courses like PADI for freedivers. As i know, there is AIDA and IAFD. To really practice this sport safely you need somebody to watch you. Let me know how you guys started. I don't go to low because I don't have no buddy.

Roberto

Eric, does the effect of stimulants(i.e. your decreased statics) linger, or is it a temporary efect(i.e. statics return after a week of not taking any stimulanys?

I just clicked on the link I posted above and the . has got embedded in the address. So here it is again for more info about FREE diving education...

http://www.learnfreediving.com

...and take a look at the instructors. It doesn't get much better than this and they're really nice guys as well...actually as is pretty much every one I've met in the freediving community.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT