• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving fins for scuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sian

Nov 1, 2004
something went wrong when I tried to post that.... so i'll try again.

basically I started diving last summer both free and scuba and im looking to buy a pair of fins. I want to get Cressi's GARA 3000 as I hear that they are good for scuba when youre diving with a current, more power/less energy wasted etc? is there anyone out there who does this/anyone who can recommend a scuba fin that is good for recreational freediving?

cheers :cool:

Hi sian

Freediving fins work great for some types of scuba, although I haven't worn gara 3000's and can't advise on them specificly. If your diving involves much distance swimming (or current), the power and efficiency of longfins is wonderful. However, they are much less manuverable, bulky and hard to handle in tight places, not very suitable for inside caves or wreaks, hi silt, etc. Just depends on what you do. I used to scuba spearfish, covering a lot of ground. Switching from jetfins to rondine gara's (one of the early longfins) was fabulous.

Gara 2000hf's are commonly used by scuba divers in this area.

Connor

Hi Sian

I used to use my Gara 2000HF fins for most of my single tank scuba diving. I bought a pair after seeing some divemasters in South Africa using them to make towing a surface marker buoy easier in strong current.

I found them to be far better than most standard scuba fins in terms of power and comfort. My air consumption also immediately drops 10-15% when I switch to them from my Cressi Frogs or my Jet fins.

As Connor mentioned, the longfins are not ideal for getting inside a wreck or for high silt environments.

Cheers

Ash

I would recommend a free diving fins to anyone doing recreational dives (single tanks) That is all I use for reef/wreck diving. I have experienced no problem in wrecks, but you do have to have fin contol and good bouyancy control. I dive (older) cressi gara's and have been for about 10 years.

Tech diving I would not recommend them though (although I have used them for tech in the past) jets will give you better control and more power with doubles and stages.

One detail that may or may not be significant. Cressi rondine garas were a couple of inches shorter than gara 2000hfs and , I think, the 3000s are even a little bit longer.

Connor

Not to worry, my buddy dives (rec/wreck) with the 3000's and loves them, and I also dive with my H Dessaults on occassion. Unlike some arenas, couple of inches here does not make much of a difference. ;-)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT