• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving midlands uk

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Martyn lloyd

May 29, 2017
Hi

I'm new to this forum and quite new to freediving. It's a sport that I want to become more involved with but with my location (Hinckley) it seems to be difficult to find anyone/clubs to train with. It would be good to find a local club and I was just seeing if anyone knows of one in the Midlands? If there isn't one and there are people reading this post who are in the same position, it would be nice to meet up and hopefully (if there is enough of us) maybe set up some regular training sessions in a local pool? For me I am quite happy to drive a hour from my location to train, however there dosnt seem to be anything within that radius.

Hi Martin, I live in the Midlands, I'm also looking for buddies. Do you have any plans to go anywhere? Pete

Hi Martin, I live in the Midlands, I'm also looking for buddies. Do you have any plans to go anywhere? Pete
Hi Pete

At the moment I just go to my local pool and play about trying to do more and more on my distance. My idea would be to meet at a local pool on a quiet night and just practice with somone else rather than just looking odd on my own. Where abouts are you based? I'm in Hinckley.

Hi Martin

I live in Grantham but go to Oakham school pool where Dive Rutland do their scuba pool training.

We could go to Stoney Cove which is just down the road for you and also handy for me.

Hi Martin

I live in Grantham but go to Oakham school pool where Dive Rutland do their scuba pool training.

We could go to Stoney Cove which is just down the road for you and also handy for me.
Yep stoney cove isn't far at all but they don't allow free diving. I can only assume if they see you taking kit down that won't be used for swimming they will just ask you to leave. I was thinking pool sessions or something to start off training then find a location to practice depth.

Only place I have seen is down bristol way for that

Afternoon gents,

I actually spoke to Stoney Cove early today as I'm in a similar predicament. Qualified to PADI AOW but wanting to get into freediving.

They said they're actually in the process of setting up a freediving program. I can't come and train alone, but they will allow a group for what will probably be the same fee as scuba for a session..

I'd certainly be interested in getting a club together as there seems to be little scope around the midlands.

The cove is very accessible for me, and if we have a few of us up for it we can put pressure on them to kick it off. It's a win win right?

Scott.

That sounds perfect. Well I'm happy to help set something up. I live 10 mins away from stoney. How do you think we would do this then?

I guess we start by setting up a club and seeing if there are more people out there that are interested.. In the meantime we ask the cove when they're likely to let freedivers down. A weeknight would work well for now until it gets darker but then we could maybe do Saturday morning later on in the year. Or both if we get enough interest.

I'd maybe say once a week for now and see. How about Tuesdays? It'll probably take a couple of weeks to sort it out with the cove and see if we get any more people on here.

I'll call them next weekend to see if they're any closer to sorting it. And can say I'm calling on behalf of a club. We would just need a name? Ha. Midland Freediving Association?

Yep that sounds good to me. Ok how about kit? Line and float? Tuesday night works for me. Would be able to get there by 6.15 ish.i will have a look into kit if you want to do the stoney cove bit?

Yeah, happy with that arrangement dude. I'll give them a call again next week. Shall we say 6:30pm Tuesdays with the scope of more people eventually coming? Maybe for an hour and a half? Can always go on longer if we can.. Cool. Will let you know what they say.

Sounds good to me. My number is 07763102066. Drop me a message and we can talk on WhatsApp as it'll be easier

Hi

I'm new to this forum and quite new to freediving. It's a sport that I want to become more involved with but with my location (Hinckley) it seems to be difficult to find anyone/clubs to train with. It would be good to find a local club and I was just seeing if anyone knows of one in the Midlands? If there isn't one and there are people reading this post who are in the same position, it would be nice to meet up and hopefully (if there is enough of us) maybe set up some regular training sessions in a local pool? For me I am quite happy to drive a hour from my location to train, however there dosnt seem to be anything within that radius.

Hi Martin

I'm also in the midlands and keen to meet people to practice with I only have the basic PADI freediver qualification but its a start.

Petrina

Hi Patrina

Me and Scott are looking at setting something up. So yes by all means keep in touch and join us if you can. My number is in the previous post so message me and we can arrange times to meet and train in the pools locally until we can sort out somthig like stoney cove. I to only have the basic padi but would be nice to get a group together to sort trips out and train.

Regards martyn

Hi both,

Martin, I've replied to Petrina on a seperate thread I've started to drum up interest. 'Midlands Freediving Association'. I will let you both know what Stoney Cove say when I speak to them.

My number's 07956478034.. Don't have whatsapp though as I'm a bit old school, ha.

Cheers,

Scott

Ok so who's keen for a pool night this week at night. Would be good to meet up and talk rather than on here. I live in Hinckley and know the pool times when it's quiet. However I guess leiscter has a big pool if that works better?

Can't do this week unfortunately, but can be free for a pool session next week?

Just spoke to Stoney Cove. They do the 1st and the 3rd Wednesdays of each month. We would just need to bring proof of qualification and pay the same rate as scuba divers.

So shall we say first meet down the cove on Wednesday the 19th at 6:30? They do 6-9 so we could probably train for 2 hours?

Sounds good to me. A bit too soon to get the extra kit. But we need to talk about that stuff anyway. Doing the depth without a line isn't ideal and safe to start with (if we are aiming to go deeper and deeper). But meeting up and having a go would be a good start for sure. Petrina if your keen for a pool session this week or next I try and go a few times a week so if you want to join and do free diving training then just drop me a line.

Hi Patrina

Me and Scott are looking at setting something up. So yes by all means keep in touch and join us if you can. My number is in the previous post so message me and we can arrange times to meet and train in the pools locally until we can sort out somthig like stoney cove. I to only have the basic padi but would be nice to get a group together to sort trips out and train.

Regards martyn

Thanks for the message Martyn

I will try to text you when I have signal I'm living very rural currently.
pool sessions would be good to start with anyway and stoney cove is only an hour from work.

cheers

Petrina

I wouldn't call yourself "Midland Freediving Association" as it would indicate you are a certifying agency - i'd make it a club name not association.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT