• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Movies and Documentaries

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Excellent idea.

I think retro is the way forward though !?!

There was some great blogs from the Bahamas, I think any more technology than that was a push out there :)

I wonder how the coverage of the worlds in Japan will be covered. The problems faced in the Bahamas could not be more different than the technology that the 2010 championships could have at its disposal!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well on the Phoenix Blue film, I've seen it twice, it's not that bad but it isn't of Grand Blue calibre either. They just wanted to make it appealing to wide audience and the compromises have an slightly negative effect. But Freediving has a role and though it's a bit blury in my mind how functional it is for the film, I think it is the 'hero's refuge and inspiration for his dreamy popmusic. It's also the way the reporter gets on his tail, through Howard's late Freediving magazine :D
Yes the play backing the actor does in the one of the last scenes is rather obvious, but it's not a high budget Holywood production so I'll forgive them. Still entertaining film with some nice plot twists.
Maybe you can find it on some torrent site.

The movie actually got very good reviews on Amazon.co.uk and imdb.com

The plot is going to disappoint the movie purists, since it's all a vehicle for playing some really nice music . . . and if you accept the film for what it is, and sit back and enjoy the musical ride, you can have a good time watching it (and the freediving ;) ).

It's not available on torrents that I could find- in fact, there doesn't appear to be a Region 1, NTSC release of the movie, so it's not available on Amazon.com. This posed no problem for me, I picked up a Region 2, PAL copy for 7 quid from eBay, and have a way to override region setting, along with a DVD player that plays both Pal & NTSC formats.

Get on ebay.co.uk and do a search for "phoenix blue dvd" and you'll probably come up with a deal even better than the one I got for the disc. At that price it's not worth doing a torrent download.

BTW- if anyone is interested in knowing how to get rid of region codes on DVDs, and also those nasty Prohibited User Operation codes that force you to sit through adverts for new movies and little morality plays and FBI warnings about copying, let me know & I'll post the recipe (hey, moderators, let me know if this would be a little OOL for the DeeperBlue forums too).

Last edited:
Just reading the news on DB and came across a film Patrick Musimu is involved with. The film is called 'WAVING AT MY ANCESTORS'.
There is a very interesting clip here: WAVING AT MY ANCESTORS Some of the sound editing is a bit off but there is some good photography. I like the concept of using old techniques like the Skalopetra in a modern context. Due to come out mid 2011?

Another "Hollywood feature film" for you.

Beyond the Reef aka Shark Boy of Bora Bora. This film is awesome. It is gorgeously shot, it looks as crisp and clear as Into the Blue yet it was made in about 1980. It is a cheesy story but more than passable. I enjoyed it. In some ways it's not a million miles from Into the Blue. Well, Into the Blue crossed with Tarzan perhaps. There is quite a lot of freedive footage featuring our leading man Dayton Ka'ne who certainly seems to know what he's doing (who here fancies equalising the huge mask in the youtube clip below?!) and some rather bold close interactions with an ENORMOUS shark (he's raised this shark since it was a baby, it's his pet and it's dependent on him)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC70PSUvJg0]YouTube - Beyond the Reef[/ame]

Looks like someone has put the whole film on youtube, for those of you like to watch films on youtube.

Reactions: CEngelbrecht
Yay! My first post!
Freediving Documentary: Freedive Paradise 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not forget the great movie "Tabu" (F.W.Murnau / R.J.Flaherty, 1931) which is mentioned by Jaques Mayol in his "Homo Delphinus"
see also
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabu_%28film%29[/ame]

I found this short docu from the UN University on the Ama divers of Hekura Island in Japan fascinating:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTIf2vA-_JQ&feature=related]YouTube - Where the sea whistle echoes[/ame]

It was the first time I had seen a video of the Amas' surface whistling breathing technique.

I found this short docu from the UN University on the Ama divers of Hekura Island in Japan fascinating:

It was the first time I had seen a video of the Amas' surface whistling breathing technique.

Thats great, thanks!

:)

When is it out for general release?

Sorry if its on the link I didn't follow it
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi,
The film has been completed. Upon the request of many, we are adding special features to the DVD with additional diving footage from the Caymans. The DVD will be available next month on Amazon.com
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Greater-Meaning-Water-Collectors-DVD/dp/B003LMVHNS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1281727633&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: The Greater Meaning of Water - Collector's Edition DVD: Sky Christopherson: Movies…[/ame]
Thank you,
Sky

From 17th to 21st January, the French-German TV channel Arte will air a series of five documentaries about freediving. Created by Boris Raim, Christian Pétron, and featuring among others Fred Buyle and William Winram:

Accueil - ARTE=

Arte is available in cable networks across Europe, and also beamed from several satelites, and it is a free channel

Hi buddy marcus has a copy if you still interested

kenny that is a lot of random mutterings and even when you find proof you were wrong you still argue with yourself :) maybe there wasn't two virginia foxs' but you were arguing with yourself whilst watching it and you remember both view points rofl

anyway more importantly do you have a copy of phoenix blue. I've wanted to see that since i saw it advertised in freediver mag!
posted via mobile device

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I managed to watch it, all the way through :)

Seeing the old Freediver.co.uk logos and shirts etc was a blast from the past, made me smile, good times.

See you in a few weeks hopefully :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I've not seen it, but I hope there will be some online option to watch it some day.

Reactions: apneaboy
yes yiu will me dale and sam are comming for the comp just sorting out register form.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I managed to watch it, all the way through :)

Seeing the old Freediver.co.uk logos and shirts etc was a blast from the past, made me smile, good times.

See you in a few weeks hopefully :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT