• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Movies and Documentaries

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Remember guys, this is coming this weekend

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZHjv3ASfw]YouTube - Sanctum Movie Trailer Official (HD)[/ame]

They filmed some of this near our local dive spot in cairns australia .

Most of the the actual underwater cave footage for "Sanctum" was filmed at Mount Gambier, South Australia. They had a lot of local cave divers helping out. Was about %80 Australian actors for that movie (For those that know it actually had one of the guys from "Chasers" in it :). Has some really nice footage, some of it probably had some CG editing though I suspect.

Cheers,
Wal

Last edited:
I saw it the other night. Whats with the chasers guys voice he sounds like he was doing a skit on the show. Hey Wal whats up?
Bjorn said he met the director and said the majority was filmed indoors in a 7m tank just out of the gold coast somewhere doing long shoots over 4 months. Supposedly someone got bent filming it.

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNP7zul8ajM]YouTube - Submerged- Freediving Documentary[/ame]

Anyone know when William Trubridges "Breathe" movie will release? I'm dieing to see it! Also I'm trying to search for all of the listed documentaries listed above to download or watch. The Aida 2004 World Freediving championship and FreeDive - 2005 with Tanya Streeter etc. I just can't seem to find any torrent:( Anyone who knows something about this?

List edited on 21st April 2006. I decided to list them all out again for everyones easy reading. Lots of goodies added to it thanks for all your contributions guys.. Need all your opinions on something though, does anyone think I should have just edited on the original post?:confused:

Documentaries:
1) FreeDive - a 2005 made for TV documetary about Tanya Streeter training a novice diver to compete in freediving competitions

2) Ocean Men - Extreme Dive - A documentary featuring the rival freedivers o their time Pipin and Umberto.

3) Yasemin Dalkilic – World Deepest Woman - A documentary about Yasemin and her training schedules right up to her record breaking day.

4) Freediver's blues, A freediver story - (no info yet)

5) Cayman 2004 - PFI World Record Attempts

6) Cayman Down (2005) - PFI World Record Attempts

7) Caymam 2006: Sink Faze - PFI World Record Attempts (Due mid 2006)

8) Briseno Docu (Will find exact name later) 2005 - Followed Annabel Briseno on her world record attempts. Narrated by Tanya Streeter

9) Various Tanya Streeter Docu's

10) Sony FreeDiver Open Classic 2003

11) OceanMen TV Docu (as opposed to the IMAX version both are very different)

12) The Deep Breath - a documentary about Topi Lintukangas and his world record attempt in 2005

13) Mission to Blue – with Tom Sietas

14) Free Diving - about the Pacific Cup 2002 in Hawaii, shot by Miroslav Hrdý for Czech TV (starring Martin Stepanek and the Czech freediving team)

Movies:
1) Le Grandbleu aka The Big Blue - Movie about the rivalry of legendary freedivers Enzo and Jacques.

2) Into The Blue - Movie released in 2005 about scuba and freedivers recovering sunken treasure.

3) The Free Diver - a 2004 movie about freedivers achieving their goals

4) The Dive - Still in production and scheduled to release in 2008. It features the love story of Pipin and Audrey and is directed by Titanic's genius director James Cameron himself.

5) The Greater Meaning of Water - An Indie freediving movie on tomorrow(April 22 2006). hehe

6) The Amphibian Man by Vladimir Chebotaryov & Genadij Kazansky from 1961

7) Dolphins - a German film shot by Farhad Yawari (Iranian) in 1991

Competitions:
1) The Aida 2004 World Freediving championship recorded on DVD by producer Goh Iramoto

Hi all,

First post!

Not sure if there's more current thread with lists of major freediving movies and docs, but an updated list would be awesome!

One suggestion:
William Trubridge in "Breathe"

Thanks!

Anyone know when William Trubridges "Breathe" movie will release? I'm dieing to see it! Also I'm trying to search for all of the listed documentaries listed above to download or watch. The Aida 2004 World Freediving championship and FreeDive - 2005 with Tanya Streeter etc. I just can't seem to find any torrent:( Anyone who knows something about this?

Breathe hasn't been released yet, in fact I'm not sure if it has been bought by a network yet.

As for torrents - not something we can condone on this forum so we can't comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's an update of Sharkcin's list with some TV shows and movies added in, ordered by date. I'll improve it with more entries later.

Documentaries:
1) FreeDive - a 2005 made for TV documetary about Tanya Streeter training a novice diver to compete in freediving competitions

2) Ocean Men - Extreme Dive - A documentary featuring the rival freedivers o their time Pipin and Umberto.

3) Yasemin Dalkilic – World Deepest Woman - A documentary about Yasemin and her training schedules right up to her record breaking day.

4) Freediver's blues, A freediver story - (no info yet)

5) Cayman 2004 - PFI World Record Attempts

6) Cayman Down (2005) - PFI World Record Attempts

7) Caymam 2006: Sink Faze - PFI World Record Attempts (Due mid 2006)

8) Briseno Docu (Will find exact name later) 2005 - Followed Annabel Briseno on her world record attempts. Narrated by Tanya Streeter

9) Various Tanya Streeter Docu's

10) Sony FreeDiver Open Classic 2003

11) OceanMen TV Docu (as opposed to the IMAX version both are very different)

12) The Deep Breath - a documentary about Topi Lintukangas and his world record attempt in 2005

13) Mission to Blue – with Tom Sietas

14) Free Diving - about the Pacific Cup 2002 in Hawaii, shot by Miroslav Hrdý for Czech TV (starring Martin Stepanek and the Czech freediving team)

Movies:

1921 The Playhouse
This silent by Buster Keaton contains a static apnea performance of the type typical of variety shows in the 1920s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Playhouse_(film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0012570/
http://youtu.be/VAPQQOFvIqw

1968 La Mujer Murcielago (Batwoman)
Who wouldda thought it? Batwoman is a champion spearo! Her freediving exploits begin at 5 min. into the film. Her freediving abilities come in handy later as she must defeat the evil villain who has turned an innocent man into an amphibious menace.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235608/
http://youtu.be/pEBXb0LVmtI

1) Le Grandbleu aka The Big Blue - Movie about the rivalry of legendary freedivers Enzo and Jacques.

2) Into The Blue - Movie released in 2005 about scuba and freedivers recovering sunken treasure.

3) The Free Diver - a 2004 movie about freedivers achieving their goals

4) The Dive - Still in production and scheduled to release in 2008. It features the love story of Pipin and Audrey and is directed by Titanic's genius director James Cameron himself.

5) The Greater Meaning of Water - An Indie freediving movie on tomorrow(April 22 2006). hehe

6) The Amphibian Man by Vladimir Chebotaryov & Genadij Kazansky from 1961

7) Dolphins - a German film shot by Farhad Yawari (Iranian) in 1991

2010 Deep Gold
A Filipino/USA action epic, the movie begins with a very inaccurate portrayal of a freediving record attempt by protagonist Amy Sanchez. Amy gets drawn into a web of intrigue from which she extricates herself several times using her freediving skills.
Deep Gold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929742/
http://youtu.be/B1aMZxDKqrM

TV Series

1994-1997 Ocean Girl
The adventures of two boys living on a subsea research station, and a girl with incredible freediving powers who they must protect.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0108885
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Girl
http://youtu.be/VVXnGdfTlwA

2006-2010 H2O: Just Add Water
A Series produced for children through young teens, three girls living in Gold Coast, Queensland, find themselves transformed into mermaids who can hold their breath for fifteen minutes at a time. Season three includes a plotline about a freediver, Will, who is endangered by his ambitious sister’s pushing him too far in his athletic career.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0491603
H2O: Just Add Water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://youtu.be/xRvgy5LWOJo
http://youtu.be/t83_664brjk

2007 Aquaman
In 2006 the producers of the Smallville series based on DC Comics’ Superman character decided to propose a series based on DC’s Aquaman. They produced a pilot, and although the series never went into production, the pilot has become a popular TV broadcast item, and became 2007’s most-downloaded TV show on iTunes. In the show, Arthur Curry develops super freediving abilities, and learns he comes from Atlantis. There is plenty of eye candy for both the boys and the girls, with bikini babes and bare-chested hunks galore.
www.imdb.com/title/tt0498318
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman_(TV_program)
http://youtu.be/GvmB8uCSRMQ

Competitions:
1) The Aida 2004 World Freediving championship recorded on DVD by producer Goh Iramoto

Last edited:
Breathe hasn't been released yet, in fact I'm not sure if it has been bought by a network yet.

As for torrents - not something we can condone on this forum so we can't comment.

What is not condonable about torrents?

Many people host work, images etc on torrent sites which are of the 'legal' nature. There are file uploading websites, streaming websites, VPN, p2p, I could go on.... Just different ways of hosting/uploading/storing files.

Also, Ocean Men: Extreme Dive was re-uploaded by someone a month ago in 1080p :D

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uXlnIpcvxlA

What is not condonable about torrents?

Many people host work, images etc on torrent sites which are of the 'legal' nature. There are file uploading websites, streaming websites, VPN, p2p, I could go on.... Just different ways of hosting/uploading/storing files.
Torrents themselves are not an issue, however if they are used to distribute copyrighted material then I have an issues with that.

Stephan, did you pay for that photo? I think you know papa smurf isn't your idea, but still living "father Abraham's" (still living Dutch man, if I'm correct).

Actually when I think of it, all mine idea's are combinations of other people's.

There are meany cultures and nations where you cannot own abstractions, such as ideas, trade secrets etc. And there people have a different earning money model.

Most artist cannot live of 'copy-right', the record companies partly do. The artist they live of their live performances.
More copies to most artist means more exposure, and more live performances, more income.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Kars,

Copyright law and how artists and media companies are compensated for their work is struggling to keep up with technology.

New distribution channels like the kindle, iTunes store, Netflix, etc is a totally acceptable way of distributing electronic content. What I object to is blatant use of technology to distribute paid for items (like music and films) for free without agreement for the owner.

Your point on my use of the papa smurf image is relevant and true, represents a form of what I object to as I didn't ask permission, so I suppose I could be deemed to be a hypocrite.

Reactions: Kars
I'm just saying that societies can function well without copyright.
Artists and inventors had patrons, or knew how to earn a living of the production.

BTW if you value your favorite artist, make a voluntary donation.
Buying the CD only yields a few cents for the artist.

Oh and copying is not the same as theft, though 'the industry' likes people to believe that.

I'm sure I have also many inherent contradictions, but what can I say? - I'm working on them, because I seek to resolve contradictions and conflict and live at peace within myself.

Love, Peace and Courage,

Kars

It's a good thing the caveman who made the first hut didn't patent it, as well as Eric Fattah didn't do with his Frenze-Fattah method.

Last edited:
I have been working on music marketing as my main hobbie for the past 4 and bit years, every day I deal with this issue. I could bring this in to a whole other topic if not start a website about it, which I may have already done ;)

I'm just happy Stephen that you left the youtube link to Extreme Men Ocean Dive.

I'll just say this, they are indeed finding it hard to keep up, isn't it the same with a lot of industries though? Then distribution models such as iTunes, kindle, netflix are ok but they are still old-hat in my book.

The masses, including educated people (ignore my arrogance here please) download, fact. If we had this choice with using the latest technology to say erm purchase electric/hydrogen vehicles then we would scoop that up too! Sadly, that industry has a much firmer grip over their tech than the music/film industry does, just one of them things. Hopefully you get my point.

Copying isn't the same as theft, glad you clarified that Kars :)

I'm also starting a new audio project which will experiment with a number of new financial models over the next twelve months. Some of these models have never been used before either, some of them have been used for generations but with new twists.

make me Alpha - Leeds Alternative Experimental Funk Rock Band / Audio Project Check us out if you like :) We have just gone live with a pre-launch website about a week ago and only fully go live in about another week.

Thanks

that's awesome sross :)

I think DB should not take part in anything illegal, but on the other hand should not try to define what is moral or ethical. Copyright is not really about copyright or theft, artists do not loose due to copyright, the fact is if 1million people copy a song that is not to say 1 million copies were stolen that would have otherwise be paid for. Quite likely the person who copyied them would not have bought them in the first place so they are not affecting revenue (which goes to publisher not artist).

Torrents are not illegal, there are issues with some of the media that gets torrented (and this itself is not clear cut) but that is not the same... also talking about torrents or torrent sites is not illegal.

There is lots of info about piracy and copyright and to be fair its an antiquated notion... its just so publishers can control distribution and make revenue.

O'Reilly talks a lot about it, here is one of his commentaries.
https://plus.google.com/107033731246200681024/posts/LZs8TekXK2T
A key point is he knows his stuff gets pirated A LOT and I have some of his content, but he see's this as a distribution channel that gets his material to places it would never have gotten to in the first place. Once his material is there he has noticed an increase in purchasing "alongside" an increase in Piracy.

One argument made is that CD and DVD sales are dropping so lets stop piracy... thats bull... its just an antiquated delivery model that was always going to fail as people could source things cheaper and more efficiently... (netflix etc.)

Whats that you say.. its not about the publishers / distributers, its about the authors?? Well I'm afraid that is rubbish too... unless you are George Lucas or tom cruise its very likely that you will only be paid a fixed sum for any work you do and will have little to no share of any revenue that is derived from the original product.

The real problem is that piracy is showing how easy it is to publish media... and this demonstrates how pointless traditional publishers are, and that has them worried :)

Finally this is an issue that is also close to me as I too am a author and the companies that publish my material (I don't get paid for it) charge a ridiculous amount to to view it, and thus restrict its audience.
The Cost of Knowledge
Most authors put a copy on their own website but the publisher has been known to contact the authors themselves and tell them they are in breech of copyright... for their own work!!

Knowledge should be free, it informs future knowledge and creativity. This applies to binary constructs... which is digital media!
Its the same principle of taking a photo of something.

But possibly this is not the thread to talk about it :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT