• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Friction trigger

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I see that there are 58 pages for that thread to date, so a lot of interest and different opinions being expressed! Plus a number of guns being produced rather than theoretical arguments as to what will work and what does not. The roller contact surface moving forwards with the shot seems to be a big advantage as is it dropping away at the same time to increase the clearance to the shaft. Maybe enough to let a shaft tail stop out without it crashing into any obstruction in the muzzle.

it dropping away at the same time to increase the clearance to the shaft. Maybe enough to let a shaft tail stop out without it crashing into any obstruction in the muzzle.
My design was tested by Vladimir
http://www.spearfishing.lt/board/vi...sid=1fd2e54a19a058e42628f4e84eccbccd&start=80
and his gun lets a shaft tail stop out from muzzle clear...
More... he tested a shaft OD7 with tail stop OD8 and a shaft OD8 without tail stop at the same gun (same eccentric) - the gun worked with both.

I understood that the "Wasp" speargun, as produced, was an interim design using some existing speargun components to facilitate a production gun in the short term and that a more purpose built version would follow at a later date. I decided to check for any update, but as far as I can tell the "Wasp" speargun remains unchanged. Of course if the gun has proven entirely fit for purpose over the past time period then there would be no need to change it. Variable length spear loading stroke offers a range of shooting powers to meet changing conditions and nature of target fish species.

but as far as I can tell the "Wasp" speargun remains unchanged. Of course if the gun has proven entirely fit for purpose over the past time period then there would be no need to change it.
"Wasp" is "OSA" in Russian...
Oleg, Sergey, Alexander are the names of project members (design, idea, management).
There are some ideas to do the gun more advanced, but serial manufacture does not make inclined to...
Yes, the gun has proven entirely fit for purpose...
It's almost no complaint... some "children's diseases"...:hurting: :)

Thanks for the update and the explanation of the name, from memory there was another "OSA" gun based on the "RPS-3", but this gun must be produced in greater numbers. Your own gun, also shown on this thread, is an extremely interesting design which captures the imagination, but would I guess need to use all purpose built parts rather than utilize existing components from another model.

Thanks Pete. Here is a link: http://www.podvoh.net/forum/apgrejd-ruzhej/1407-apgrejd-pnevmata-rpp-60sm.html?start=120
But this is different from what I try to sketch. Anyway, I am just spending my time not to be boring...
I was re-reading this thread and tried to follow the above "podvoh.net" link when I got this.
decline.jpg

Apparently a "shutter" has come down as other links to this web-site now return the same message!

My design was tested by Vladimir
http://www.spearfishing.lt/board/vi...sid=1fd2e54a19a058e42628f4e84eccbccd&start=80
and his gun lets a shaft tail stop out from muzzle clear...
More... he tested a shaft OD7 with tail stop OD8 and a shaft OD8 without tail stop at the same gun (same eccentric) - the gun worked with both.
Have you thought of sending one of your guns for testing in the more salty water of say, a tropical location, than you would find in the Black Sea or similar marine locations near you. While titanium can shrug off the effects of saltwater, the same may not be said of exposed springs, even "stainless" steel of certain alloys that make good springs. A gun that can survive saltwater and non-fastidious owners who do no more than basic rinsing will access a much larger market always looking for something different, and that works! I don't know their survival rate, but a large number of "Kobra 500" guns from Chelyabinsk were sold worldwide from here in Melbourne by "Jim", no doubt one of your former countrymen. I purchased a "Kobra" from him to examine the construction, especially the use of plastic which had not been a strong feature of guns from your country and was perhaps wisely avoided until now where big advances are being made, but maybe not to everyone's liking given the skilled use of all-metal construction.

Have you thought of sending one of your guns for testing in the more salty water of say, a tropical location, than you would find in the Black Sea or similar marine locations near you.
No.. I just invented the new friction trigger mechanism - not specific gun.
Eccentric may be made of titanium or stainless steel.
I know about the problems with corrosion in solt water, but in just any guns there are various metals...
One of solutions of this problems (on a level with protect coating or so) might be electric isolation of agressive metal by mins of dielectrical gaskets.
http://garpun.spb.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=905&start=90
For example

I'v done some experiments about this...

Brass and alumimium in solt water..
Left end with gasket - it has no corrosion at all after 36 ours...
Right end (without) has...

JACK (Eugeny Rutkovsky) has done a lot of experiments about corrosion
http://fishgun.spb.ru/index.php?page_id=poleznoe&item=koroziya
He says that titanium has the corrosion activity not more bigger than cuprum alloys..

I read the article, very interesting to see the corrosion damage on parts, especially the "Taimen" piston which looks beyond salvage. However corrosion needs water to provide the cell conductive path and for it to be inside the gun it either comes from the front or the rear. If the gun has never lost pressure then it may have been injected by water in the barrel being struck by the piston and before having time to escape (no muzzle relief ports) matches the pressure in the gun and flows rearward around the piston seal and into the gun's interior. Guns tested here with vacuum barrels that leaked unexpectedly have turned oil in the gun a milky white. Detection precedes a cure and my thoughts are a gun sat rearwards on a pin that depresses the inlet valve will blast oil out of the gun into say a cup which can then be examined. If oil is good, then no concern and oil is replaced by a stroke of hand pump with oil inside to make up that which is lost before restoring pressure to the gun. Contaminated oil is seen, then gun comes apart.

Most corroded guns I have seen were left with water inside, however water outside does not have a great effect. For example how many "Taimen" guns have lost the "D" shape in the alloy cover plate that the sear pin sticks out of, it being titanium? Not many I would think as the "D" shaped hole in the cover orients the cylinder of the sear. Relative size of anode and cathode is important, as are protective measures and their durability. For example entire "Pirometer" gun is painted, stainless steel inner barrel is surrounded by black material to isolate the barrel from the alloy mid-body section and trigger parts are stainless steel, yet the ravages of corrosion are not obvious. Inside is a different matter, but guns that have had oil added seem to survive, whereas grease is not enough as it stays in one place, which may be the wrong place.

This table was found showing galvanic interaction of various materials.
Galvanic2R.jpg

Also of interest:https://www.researchgate.net/public...water_using_electrochemical_noise_EN_measurem
sear cover plate.jpg

Last edited:
If designer has done their job and eliminated any holding crevices for saltwater, and user washes out gun or soaks it in a tub to leach out any remaining salt droplets, or dissolve any salt deposits that have developed during an unavoidable delay before cleaning can commence, then even guns with not the best match of materials will survive. If internal problems are suspected, then quick check of state of lubricant will reveal any problems, particularly if lubricant settles out in glass to reveal water layer on bottom and then gun must come apart. Plenty of threads on this, including my own which at one time was a sticky, but now buried many layers down. Of course during pumping water from atmosphere can enter gun and contaminate oil, particularly in humid weather, but experience will show the difference as water from atmosphere is in a sense "distilled water" with nothing present but H2O.

https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/pneumatic-dismantling-how-to-get-inside.90024/#post-854689

Back to the "OCA" ("OSA"), here are some photos of the "Wasp" put up by the manufacturer's representative (Alexander Penza) of the gun when it appeared earlier on www.apox.ru. Note the forward latching layout also used in guns such as the "Kobra" and the "Prizm" or its actual designation "RPB-1M".
Изображение 135 R.jpg

Изображение 131R.jpg

The "Wasp" name had previously been used for this gun, the RPS-3 as it should have been made in the first place. The throttling created by the tiny holes in the barrel has less effect when it occupies a proportionally shorter length in the longer embodiment of the gun. After 80 holes have been passed by the departing spear tail the barrel reaches full flow. Refer to the "RPS-3" thread: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/hydro-pneumatic-gun.76715/
Wasp speargun long & short.jpg

Last edited:
Check out this 71 kg Catfish being taken with a Russian "Wasp" pneumatic speargun! The friction trigger version that is, not the RPS-3 derivative shown immediately above.

Last edited:
"Wasp" friction trigger gun has been voted as Winner of the contest "100 best goods of Russia" .
https://electropribor-penza.ru/catalog/osa.html

I wonder what this means This product does not require permission to purchase and use it. I have seen references before to spearguns not requiring permission to use in Russia, so which guns do need permission and what is it that creates this different treatment of them?

Just looking at the big catfish I wonder which is the best way to cook them as there is a lot of meat there. One of those would make a hundred fish burgers, but they may have a high fat content, and possibly some form of grilling would be best. I love fish burgers and there is a good recipe for them here.
Lionfish-Burger.jpg

Here is a blog on the swinging arm friction trigger mechanism with vee-form shaft gripping "flange roller" that does not actually rotate as such. The article can be read without the usual distractions of derails and confused comments by those who type before they read, or perhaps even think, on the main forum pages in Russia. Work from member "mexanik", also seen on page 1 and page 2 here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar
"Wasp" models listed in the operating manual.
OCA TABLE 1.jpg
OCA TABLE 1English.jpg

oca flea.jpg

The above gun is a Kayuk, but you can see where the lower grip on the Wasp comes from. Another gun using the skeleton handle is the Dolphin. In the West we don't see this style of grip, well not yet anyway.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT