• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gara 3000

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Leaving aside all the anatomical specifics, Murat ( :D - hey it's hard to resist, you know) I personally prefer softer blade for long surface swimming, which is always the case in Black Sea or the Med. Especially if you practice the sport only during the summer/fall. It takes some time to get used to the rigid blade. And a too long blade will make the reef search hunting technique even more difficult I think and that one is my favorite.

Never tried the 3000 though, so those are just logical considerations and not facts... :)

Ivan

Originally posted by Wishbone

Waaaay too much information, mate but thanks for sharing it! Do you want me to forward it to any interrested parties? rofl

No problem as long as girls are invited too.;)

Hey, you guys are aware that the 3000's are for sale at diveinn now, right? :confused:

Anderson

Reactions: gitano
Originally posted by andrsn
Hey, you guys are aware that the 3000's are for sale at diveinn now, right? :confused:
Anderson

They are now boss...:cool:

So...what's the deal with the Gara 3000? Other than improving its efficiency/performance on the up-kick, is it softer/harder than the ld's or hf's? What type of diving is it better suited for? I read all the posts but didn't get much info on the 3000.:waterwork

according to a swedish freediving webstore, the 3000 are softer than the gara hf. That is all the info i can find. hope it helps,
Erik

Thanks for answering Erik!! I've been waiting for a reply for a while now. I just didn't know if the 3000's are supposed to replace the ld's or what.

If anyone else has any further useful info...it would be much appreciated:D .

I emailed cressi in USA asking about how it differs from the older gara hf, and here's what they said:
"Less rigid, more flexible."
Pretty short and concise :) but I guess that's basically the only difference...
Erik

Thank you both for the reply. From what you guys are telling me and what I gather from looking around, I guess it's supposed to be easier to kick (softer) but more efficient because of the improved upstroke. So perhaps it will perform as well as or better than the HF, but be easier kickin'.

Originally posted by kirehe
according to a swedish freediving webstore, the 3000 are softer than the gara hf. That is all the info i can find. hope it helps,
Erik

Whats the adress to that site...??

Thinking of buying my first "freediving" fin.

Whats the deal with carbon fins, I think I saw somewhere on the forum that they break easier, witch means you have to be more careful?

I want a longlasting fin... so plasic might be the way to go...

Anyone with experience from both gara 2000 hf and 3000...
wich one preforms best on the surface...?

Last edited:
Couple of minutes...

My brother intends to buy gara 3000, he already tested them. I had them on my feet for about five minutes, that`s what i can say: compared to the gara2000hf (which i own), they need less energy to achieve cruising speed, in fact you can hover through the water slowly with minimal leg movement. On the downside they just don`t have the thrust and acceleration of a 2000hf. It`s not that bad, but i like a bit of action when taking off ground. So, summa summarum, they are what they`ve been advertised for: more effective. The price is a loss of a bit of power. So what do you want?

Greets, joe

Reactions: kirehe
squip,

Month ago i bought my first pair of free diving fins. I was thinking to buy ld coz i am a much surface swimmer no deep diving yet. But when i visit the store, the saler said me he has no more ld and they are discontunied. So i had to buy gara 3000. The first observation against hf is 3000 are longer and more flexible. The plastic on hf is realy hard. I made two dives approximately 2 hours total. I only made surface swimming not diving. I fell pain at the end of the dives (especially in my anke which was injured few years ago). But i think its because of me not the fins.Its my first pair of long blade fins (before i was using soft scuba one) and i haden't developed my technique yet. I was overpower the downstroke while surface swimming but someone in the form told me that i should concentrate on upstroke rather than down.If the fins does not float while swimming that may be work.I will try that next time and hope to find best technique for surface swimming and then i will improve diving. I have much more work to do with em:confused:

squip,

the swedish address is www.onebreath.nu. the owner is gunnar nordstrom, who has been around at several international competitions for years. I've been in contact with him before, and he's been very helpful.

carbon fins are more delicate to hits on rocks or bottom than plastic. but even so, they are quite tough and shouldnt break under normal usage. you might want to look in to fiberplastic, which performs more or less like carbon but is almost as tough as plastic. check out www.finswimming.ca for blades.

for more swedish info on freediving, see http://www.webvideo.nu/freediving/swedish.html

Erik

I lost one fin last week and now only have one LD (real useful :hmm ). Unfortunately, LD's are discontinued and I liked the softer blade. Now I'm not sure whether to get the 3000's or get some OMER Milleniums.

Does anyone know how:
1-the 3000's compare to the Milleniums in stiffness and
2-how much stiffer the new Cressi's are compared to the LD (a lot or little).

Bottom line is that I don't want anything stiffer than "standard" right now since I don't dive all that deep.

surface and

I'd love to know how the gara 3000 owners assess the fin for surface and shallow water. I generally like to snorkel/skindive in 10-20 ft water and am wondering if the 3000, being more flexible than the 2000HF is flexible enough for this kind of use.

Also, any of you out there with slightly more slender men's feet (like a B to C width, rather than the standard D [U.S. sizing])? Any recommendations on fins that fit more snugly without forcing you to go into a smaller size, cramping the toes?

Thanks,

Clinton

Hey Clinton,

I currently don't own the 3000's. I'm trying to see if it is a reasonable alternative to the discontinued LD's even though it is stiffer. Hopefully, the difference isn't that big. I enjoyed the LD's a great deal, but it's now discontinued so I guess it's pointless to talk about it. I'm still waiting for someone to respond to my previous post to see what I might get next to replace my LD's.

Other than Cressi, Sporasub also seems to make footpockets that are narrow. I haven't been able to try one on that's my size, but that seems to be what people agree on. OMER pockets are even wider, and Picasso the widest (what people consistently agree on). My feet are narrow, and I still fit in OMER with 3mm socks. Beuchat and Esclapez might provide a good fit also. I looked at some and the foot pockets seem comfortable and not wide. Unfortunately, they didn't have my size so I can't say with certainty. The only problem people report about Esclapez's footpockets are that they flex a bit much, but other than that they are a respected fin.

That's about all I gathered from reading through many posts and looking at equipment around town. Hope this helps you a bit. The process of finding fins is long.

Today i had a chance to test my gara 3000 for 1 hour. I did only surface swimming. First, i can't compare gara 3000 with other LONGBLADE freediving fins coz i did not used any other yet.
I tried to concentrate on upstroke rather than down but it seems this couldn't work coz the fins are so much positively bouyant they don't want to sink without much effort. So i ignored the vertival movement and tried horizontal movement. I dunno if this works with other fins but these fins have great dynamic structure.When i swing my leg horizontally to the back the fin changed the shape and became "U", so it easily push the water then i could moved easily with minimum effort. But this is not the fastest way to swim. If you need some more speed try bcyles it is more faster but you will consume a little bit energy. But when performing bicyle action pull your legs at maximum to the stomach by that way its much easier to get the fins underwater rest is will be easier. This is what i obseved for today as a newbie.I will report later experiments results.

Take care.....

Thanks, Murat. Have you tried a dolphin kick on the surface, by any chance? Even in short fins I've found that surface swimming isn't always all that great. So, I've tended to use a dolphin kick, espically to get back to the boat fast.

--Clinton

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT