• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Go Pro Action camera's alternatives?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For a cheap alternative you can go for a Blackview Hero 1.
m.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_182280.html

I really like the cam and find the colours less saturated than then Sjcam. Also no issues on a bumpy motor ride (high revving engine) Worth to check out. Just as sjcam comes with loads of accessories.

Hi, Suzanne
I use Isaw Edge price about $250 and it's made in Korea. Why I choose this, there's lcd and various brakets. The thing is the lower price!

Let me link my facebook diving video taken with Isaw.

Hey Phil, very nice! I didn't know Isaw edge so far. Great quality!
I have been using SJ4000 and it's pretty for the price.

wow, Thanks! I was thinking about buying one of Sj cams, but I heard the file format will be avi. or some other format, which means I needs to incording to mp4. to edit. I'm not a person who's really familiar with computer things. This is one of the reason why I choose Isaw.

I'm a new member here and your reply is the first. Thank you Gricwb~

SJ4000/SJ5000 (30m water resistance) // watch out a lot of fakes out there//Qumox relabels it, but most time a real SJ

GitUp Git2 (has exact same sice of GoPro 3-4-->gopro housings and accessiores should fit) // I ordered one and I can give a short review when i got it. Maybe the best choice for a budget arround 100-150€. A remote control is available (3m wr)

Socoo S60 (60m wr) camera has no extra case like GoPro & co, has a remote controll (10m wr)

Actionpro X7 (60m) already tested and quiet good camera

Xiaomi Yi (think the SJ5000 is the better choice; after buying the equipment its about the same price; maybe the lense has to be taken out and glued in again to get the right fokus for freediving)

SJ M10, really small cube // watch out a lot of fakes out there

Hope this helps a little to find the right camera :)

limpsi-boy, nice guide!! :)

That's true about SJ's. The first one that I bought was fake. I had to make a lot of search to find a original one.

Hi :)

Did someone tried the Sony FDR-X1000V 4K Action Cam

=>

=>

=>

or the new Sony HDR AS50

I'm looking for submarine videos made with these Action Cam

Thanks
dcvf

I gave away my gopro and i now have 4 generations of Nikon AW series. The Aw130 is rated at 30M without a housing and has features not available in the gopro--It is definitely worth looking at..

Hi
Comparison between AW130 and TG4

Picture
- ** for AW130
- *****for TG4

Video :
- *** for AW130
- **** for TG4

Sorry it's in french watch only the conclusions

- AW130 => http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/nikon-coolpix-aw130-p24275/test.html
- TG4 => http://www.lesnumeriques.com/appareil-photo-numerique/olympus-tough-tg-4-p25713/test.html

Max deep
- 30m for AW130
- 15 for TG4

Conclusions :
- *** for AW130 price 230€
- ***** for TG4 (with RAW) price 360€…If housing for 45m + 345€ ( better but 3x time the price …for 45m)

dcvf

Hi everybody

@ Viktor17

Can you show us a film made with this SJCAM X1000

My last film ( first episode) made with Sony HDR-AS15… it's there =>

I've a new Sony HDR-AS50…but not yet used …

Concern my #31, I don't understand why "***" appears in the message :( ?

dcvf

Hi everybody

@ Viktor17

Can you show us a film made with this SJCAM X1000

My last film ( first episode) made with Sony HDR-AS15… it's there =>

I've a new Sony HDR-AS50…but not yet used …

Concern my #31, I don't understand why "***" appears in the message :( ?

dcvf

Oh sure. I will try tomorrow to send a few links

I got the Qumox Sj4000 for less than 100 Euro. What I like is that the cam has an integrated display and I have dived with the housing to 40m.
To edit the videos I convert the video files first and than use the gopro studio(freeware).

In my last video I didnt use any color filter. I feel like that the picture is a little bit too blue. As specially this is true for the deeper dives.

[photo="medium"]12999[/photo][photo="medium"]12998[/photo] I purchased an SJCAM SJ5000 for general freediving and shallow use...and promptly took it to 130 feet...worked fine...and with the extra battery and 32 GB memory card, was $129.00 USD. A far better price than the GoPro.

Forgot to mention, the Kodak SP360 has a spherical lens and the videos can be projected various ways using the software. On the channel above, the videos with "Sphere" in the name are spherical projections. If you view them on an Android device (or some PCs) you can rotate around the image by either scrolling left/right, up/down, or by rotating the Android device. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYEOAlH_hPVxVEYyXbUzvsw)

I've owned numerous GoPro cameras and numerous of these knock off alternatives as well. I consider myself an amateur/enthusiast videographer, and I use them extensively in action sports in extreme environments and climates so I feel pretty familiar with what they're all capable of. (for the record, I love them all, it's just a matter of using the right tool for your situation)

Bottom line opinon (descending price and recommendation):
Attempt at quick explanation:

You can buy any number of $40 'action cams' that come in waterproof cases that do 1080p @ 30fps with average cell phone quality. You can also buy loads of newer $80 'action cams' that claim to do 4k @ 30fps & 1080p @ 60fps. However, none of them do. It's only 2.5k upscaled to 4k @ 12fps. And 1080p 30fps interpolated to 60fps. You can easily analyze the frame data (as I have done).

All the $40 cams are essentially the same, and all the $80 cams are also practically identical. LOTS of different names, but basically the same. The newest SJCam (the original GoPro knockoff maker) labeled 5000+ is the only one that's slightly better (all the 6000, 7000, 8000, etc are SJCam ripoffs, not SJCam), but the SJCam 5000+ is $120, so there is no reason to buy it since the GoPro Hero is also $120 and is significantly higher quality (don't believe anyone's quality comparisons, more below).

Any of these $40-$80 'action cams' will probably suit you fine if you just want to pop it on your head and catch a few shots (I'd recommend 2 $40 cams since the 'higher settings' on the $80 cams are BS). But think of it like a Polaroid vs. a 35mm camera (old school analogy, but valid IMO). They're not equal, regardless if they both can print a picture the same size. If a Polaroid of your experiences suits you fine, then you're set! If you want more, you can do it for half the price of GoPro, but not less.

None of these other 'action cams' are 'GoPro Killers' except the new Xioami Yi 4K (which is why it is $250, not $80). The chipsets, lenses, sensors, etc. on $40-$80 cameras are physically incapable of producing the same quality image as higher value electronics and optics. On a tripod shooting still subject matter the image may appear comparable, but in motion while shooting moving subject matter it becomes obvious they can't keep up.

To use an audio analogy, people tend to act like GoPro is like unnecessarily overpriced audiophile sound equipment and the knockoffs are equivalent to Sony/Panasonic stereos. This is not the case at all. It's more like GoPro is like Sony/Panasonic stereos and the knockoffs are exactly what they are: cheap Chinese fakes you get at a flea market.

Beyond image quality is durability, build quality, and functionality. GoPros are essentially indestructible. I've abused many and trust them thoroughly. Every single part and component in a knockoff, and the manufacturing of it (and the quality control of that process), is the lowest of the low. That's how the price is reached. These are not coming out of the same factory, nor using any of the same parts. They all tend to overheat, and the battery life on all these knockoffs is tops 1 hour of use, which is 1/3 to 1/5 the time of a premium action cam.

This isn't an "Apple vs Android" opinion thing. It's physics. There's nothing wrong with 'cheap Polaroid' for many circumstances though, just don't believe any quality claims, and accept that knockoffs are cheap, disposable workarounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swan007
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT