• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
gilthead was caught by a friend 4lb exactly

check out john holtrops home page follow multihulls til trident 15

Reactions: portinfer
Hello Chaps.
I'm new to this forum and to spearfishing. I've just ordered my kit, under Ed's expert guidance, and hope to catch a few more bass this summer than I usually manage to on the rod. I figured if they won't come to me, I'll go to them!

Anyway, giltheads are just as rare over here for the fishermen as they are for spearos. You only hear of a couple a year usually, and they're almost always from the same place as those ones were this year, or the approximate area anyway.

You couldn't really say what their "season" was because not enough are caught. The Blacks and Couches come in around July, building in numbers through to October before falling off until January, but whether Gilts follow that pattern :confused:

It is strange there aren't more caught as I understand they're fairly common over on the french coast.

The humps do look amazing!

Hi Tom - welcome to the forums ! Hopefully you'll find what you are looking for here and in the sea. Good luck for the season.

Hi Magpie

Based on the fact that Guiltheads come predominantly from slightly warmer seas, I think our best chance will be from mid summer to early Autumn. I caught a few in the Azores, we were rod fishing from a breakwater. I could see shoals of them, someone had a 10lb fish but we could see much bigger ones. The fish pictured was caught at night in August, my friend was fishing behind the oil tanks, I think our best chance will somewhere on the east coast.

Hi Ed and Dave. Hi Marco, Laura and Fabio. TJ is that you?

Not much to report and as Ed's already posted a picture of the dover sole I had last weekend, here's a picture of the red mullet I persuaded to leave the sea during a night dive with Ed a couple of weekends ago.

4.jpg

Reactions: portinfer
foxfish said:
These pic's show the "Humps" one day last summer.
Looks gorgeous. Nice boat too.

Coincidently, we are currently looking at brochures of Guernsey for our Summer holiday this year. Guernsey has been suggested -- surprisingly, not by me -- but I am not fighting it!. I am thinking of taking the car (good idea?) -- so I can bring my spearing gear.

We don't get a lot of time off, so I would like to make the most of the opportunity. I would rather not drive a lot. Any suggestions as to which coast to stay on or where to stay? Wherever it is, it needs to be clean, as one of the party has bad allergies :(. We like quiet locations (e.g. out of town). Somewhere close to the sea would be preferrable, easy walking distance with spearing gear would be a bonus (as it might allow for a pre-breakfast/evening dive session). [Alternatively access to boat/kayak/dive taxi might be handy? Is there anything like that available? There is a possibility that I might bring a kayak...or, less likely, a small rib]. A swimming pool would be nice but is not required.

Any suggestions for must see/visit locations (of all kinds), recommended spearo spots (I promise to eradicate the fish stocks). Also, any rock climbing spots (or sea-level traverses) & rod fishing (beaches/piers/boat trips?).

West coat would be good for peace / clean water / fish / kayaking. Anywhere from Pleinmont up to Fort Doyle in the north... not sure what your budget is but you might like to contact "visit guernsey" the tourist branch here. They should be able to sort you out.
As for driving lots... a long journey here is 20 mins...
A mate has the only thing vaguely resembling a taxi service (http://www.islandribvoyages.com/) - he is a keen spearo too so would possibly entertain dropping and picking up service to some of the islands - you would have to contact him to enquire...
As for recommendations I always find the tomato museum or the telephone museum to be uplifting and a joyful experience - failing that the Little Chapel normally works its charms on me :)

Ed

Reactions: Mr. X
beetroute said:
TJ is that you?

Hello Pete, yep its me. Didn't recognise you in that pic at first, can't think why, is it the ears, or the eyebrows, or maybe the smile....
I dunno :confused: :D

Mr X.
Yeh, definately somewhere on the west coast will suit your purposes. There are quite a few hotels right on the coast, as Ed says, the tourist board will sort you out.

Plenty of places to Kayak all round the island with easy access wherever you go. Bring the car to get around, but you won't be in it for long.

I know not a lot about climbing but the south coast is all cliffs so you could explore around there. Lots of places for rod fishing too, mostly either piers or rocks. There are one or two charter boats too. Let me know what you'd be after and I'll point you in the right direction (though no guarantees of fish!). As for spearing spots, don't ask me, haven't been in the water with a gun yet, though that's soon to change :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Hi Mr X. I'll send you a PM or an email ref your request to pillage our fish stocks.
Trip report; In the sea last night for a quick hunt. Haven't been for a couple of weeks since the epic 2 hour west coast "Where the hell are we?" dive. Again persuaded Ed to come with me. He had already done a one and a half hour day session with Pete and Miles so his New Year resolution to say "No" sometimes already looks shakey. Well good on you Ed is all I can say.
Tried our nearby north bay, but on inspection the usual corner required surf boards, so we decided to try the other side. This is "Marcels Corner" and it was high tide, so put on my best Canadian accent and gave it a go.
Out to 10ft it was swelly and with not too hot vis. Pushed on out to a max of about 25ft but the vis was still "smokey". Did some flatty type diving, trying to follow the reef edge. A big full moon came out from behind the clouds and lit up the surface. Haven't seen that before. Very atmospheric and also handy for finding your way. Something else I hadn't seen before were the little fish, that were maybe half an inch long, that kept swimming through the torch beam and lighting up like fireflys. Amazing. Couldn't exactly tell what they were as they were pretty quick.
Catching fishwise, it was'nt anything to write home about but I did find a sole about 1.5lbs uncovered in about 15ft and dispatched it using my gun as a hand spear. Saw a largeish freeswimmer (bass or mullet) pass underneath me deep down, just in the limit of the torch beam. It didn't stay to be inspected. Swimming back in I found a red mullet peering out from between two rocks, on the reef edge, in about 10ft of water as, I was down on a dive. Closed to 2ft range and stoned it with a head shot.
Well, that was it. Only in about 45 minutes and Ed was already out, I think he was knackered and I don't blame him. Not too cold and as far as I am concerned it was another fun dive.
Regards to all.
Dave

Thought i'd check this thread seeing as you asked dave! Nice work for actually catching at this time of year! Perhaps i'll pay a visit to the Channel Islands one day...

Well Mr x, you want to come spearfishing in Guernsey.
Can I suggest you also go to Sark. Unfortunately spearos are banned but you will find it a wonderful place to participate your other desires.
I can guarantee you will find the most spectacular cliffs , caves & remoteness you will ever need.

The 20' deep Adonis pool in little sark reached via a 300' Cliff scramble

Attachments

• Copy of P1020019(1).JPG
    Copy of P1020019(1).JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 212
foxfish said:
...Can I suggest you also go to Sark. ...
Looks beautiful. Did you enhance the colours? That's amazing. I have heard people talk of Sark before but couldn't understand the excitement...I guess that gives an idea of why. (Long ago, I visited Lundy...amazing place. A lighthouse, a pub a church & maybe a half dozen houses - perfect!).

Last edited:
That just about sums up Sark as well. Though there are a few more houses, a couple of pubs and a few hotels.
But no cars, they're banned. You encounter the odd tractor but other than that its walk or cycle.

Only problem with sark is what civilisation there is is on top of the island, so its a long old slog up and down the cliffs to get to the sea. But its worth it as that picture shows. Doesn't look like any enhancement to me, it'd be even clearer if it was a calm day but the surface is a bit ruffled there.

Try: http://www.sark.info/

I have some news for you night time spearos.
It would seem from the recent threads Pembroke & L'Ancresse are popular spots. I guess this would seem a safe sheltered area but what about the sharks!!
For the last few years January & february has seen commercial fishermen catching porbeagles in there nets. I known this because I have shared in the consumption of several!
A friend of mine Dean is one of the pro fishermen who sets his nets in the bay for Red Mullet. I was speaking to him today, apparently two were caught last week both at night!!!

Funny you should mention that ... for the last couple of weeks I have had a niggling thought of porgies. But casually threw them to the back of my mind thinking that they would not be so shallow and would probably be daylight hunters and also I figured that they would have followed the mackerel away... I guess not... Dave is our Wed/Thurs night dive still on ? Might see if Hev wants to come as he has been chomping at the bit to go (might let him test the waters first though :)) Pete ? Miles ? Up for a spot of sharking ?!

Suddenly it all seems even more insane ... night diving with little torches ... in January ... with sharks ...

Do you know what sort of size these porgies were? Just wondering what gear I'd use if I got the balloons and the shirvy out and tried catching one on the rod.

I've got rods that'd be alright but might need some reels with a bit bigger capacity (this is all fantasy cos its too cold for me to be sitting out on the rocks all night, but doesn;t hurt to think about it :))

Tom - I can see you wrestling the largest red mullet out of the sea on that gear :)

They've got a nasty side them red mullet, oh sure they look all cute with their stripes and barbules but you get on the wrong side of one and you'll know about it! :martial

Just make sure you stone them when shooting or you'll need more than your knife for protection! :ko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT