• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Tell you what Tom I have tried it on a few occasions myself! never caught one though. but it seems these fish are here every year. Don't know the size, will find out. The ones I have seen (eaten) were for sale at fishmongers, maybe 150lb

Just asked Dean, hes not sure but he had one two years ago 230lb

If we see one and you'll lend me your gun with the reel Ed, then I'd have a go, provided it's not too big.
150lber hit in the back of the head, swim like b*ggery for the rocks and play it on the reel. How much line you got on your reel Ed?
£5 or £6 a kilo, we're gonna be rich and famous, or dead, one of the two! Well do you wanna live forever, do yah?
Mad Dave

O - K .....

Guess I'll be diving with Mad 'Mako' Dave this week..... I think I have 50m but to be honest I have never tried. Could be fun finding out (oh and new shafts are about £18... so it has to be over 3 pounds....). You would have to go for the stone shot - where abouts is the brain in a porbeagle ? To be honest I would attach myself to the spear and fire it inthe other direction and hope to make the rocks.

Attachments

• po19-358.jpg
    po19-358.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 217
Thats one Seager and Merrien caught back a few years back, up by the hanois, weighed about 350lbs if I remember right.
Been bigger caught locally too!

Yes that's Richard Seager net caught fish and the pic's taken in the Fishermans Co-op.
Biggest shark locally was probably Des Bougourds approx 470lber taken in the 60's. He was rod fishing on the boat Stormdrift, skippered by Graham Cowley and they were down Jersey way with members of the Guernsey 30 fathom club. The fish was a huge pregnant female full of pups. It was the British rod caught record for years and also, I think, the world line class record. Des is still around and shares a boat with his sons. One son (Gary) is a keen scuba diver and fisherman. Graham Cowley got out of commercial fishing and is now full time retired although I know his son Richard who's an international airline pilot.
Anyway enough about these nippers - Here's one I caught earlier.
"In your dreams" Dave

Last edited:
Tell you what Magpie if there was a competition as to who can download the best pictures from the net, you would win! Very good.

Murky dive with Dave and Hev - I saw two nice squid on the way in and little else - all very stirred up water and bad back scatter - might not bother diving until Easter (ehem...).

Ed

I might be up for that Pete and Ed's sure to be there.
Have to say it was a poor dive. Low vis, swell, too deep, tide pushing in and lost-ish in the dark "again"!
This night diving is a steep learning curve. Still you gotta go to know and it's better than blobbing in front of the box.
Did see a small but definitely size plaice. First one for me at night. It was swimming along. Strange as I didn't think that they were nocturnal. Should have spiked it but I'm getting soft in my old age. Thought we'd get some sole and red mullet so now an imagining that I can smell plaice frying and kicking myself.
Am in the process of ordering myself a big torch. Then I can fry 'em underwater. Oh yeh!
Dave

Sounds good for tonight Dave. Meeting Ed at his place at 5ish. Already went down to Pembroke around 3ish today, very calm....looks promising. See you there.

Night Fishing (1)

Attachments

• P1020201(1).JPG
    P1020201(1).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 246
  • P1020207(1).JPG
    P1020207(1).JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 256
  • P1020200(1).JPG
    P1020200(1).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 238
Night Fishing (2)

Attachments

• P1020202(1).JPG
    P1020202(1).JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 215
  • P1020199(1).JPG
    P1020199(1).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 221
  • P1020205(1).JPG
    P1020205(1).JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 214
Yeeeeaaaah ! It was a good dive :) :) :)
I managed a nice sole, two red mullet and .... a turbot ! My first turbot - quite a small one but definitely a turbot :)
Pete just kept firing - even when he had seen the whites of their eyes ... I kept hearing poings underwater and a manic laughter ringing out from the bay as I edged just a little further away from this madman... Eventually landing three sole and four red mullet.
Dave had a late start but soon caught up with a pair of fine sole.

Really really nice dive - very chilled (despite the every lurking thoughts of toothy friends in the deep), nice clarity in the water, calm and plenty of fish. I think the drops off the end were quite deep and long but Pete would be a better judge of that with his D3 calibration.

I found the turbot as I was looking at a squid that was darting around - it stopped moving and I saw a faint outline behind it and a pair of eyes from a buried turbot - well slightly covered.

Bumped into four small bass but let them grow.

Yes - nice dive had by all - cheers for the pix Martyn :)

Ed

Reactions: naiad
Yes Ed it was a good one.
Not quite so good for me as you two pasted me, but well done anyway, especially Pete, or "Jammy" Pete as he is now known.
Plan your dive and dive your plan. That's what Ed said and that's what I did. I had convinced myself that the fish would be a) shallow and b) close to the reef. This was based on my previous (limited) experience. Good plan except the fish were off the reef and out deeper. Oh shit!
Oh shit again! Well that's what I said when half way into the dive I had seen one measly mullet and then I caught up with the boys to discover that they had had a field day.
Still luckily for me I managed to redeem myself with some desperate last ditch flatty diving. Lucky in that if I hadn't found the fish I'd still be out there now. However, 2 soles on the stringer and then 2 left in peace for another day saw me satisfied.
Couldn't find a red mullet though. Sharks must have got them all.
My brother came to meet us on the beach carrying his camera. He thought pictures of divers post a shark attack would be worth a few bob. However, he had to be content with taking some trophy shots. Maybe next time Mart?
Tomorrow anyone?
Dave

Nice work boys! :cool:
I wish my suit would hurry up! It was sent from Greece on Monday....

Magpie said:
That'll be this one then...
Is that state-of-the-art Japanese fishing float a c1970 Domestos toilet cleaner bottle by any chance?! rofl [Dylan Thomas ... powerful stuff]
[Night fishing looks like it was quite a success (I have enough trouble seeing during the day!) -- is the long wooden speargun an Omer American Master?]

Last edited:
Most certainly NOT - it is a Totemsub Pelagos 100.

Yeah - night fishing is good but it seems to be filed under the same heading as 'fishing with dynamite' by our Meditteranean bretherin... apparently it is 'unfair' and 'unethical'. Pretty nonsensical argument, but make your own choice and have done with it.

Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT