• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

foxfish

Silver Smoker
Dec 31, 2005
New thread for a new year, I wonder what is going to happen regarding any bass restrictions?

Here is a interesting vid to keep you on edge .....

Happy and healthy new year everyone. Enjoy your travels Foxfish , hope you see some big fish drink some fine wines and have great weather.
I think any shore restrictions on bass will be self imposed as the authorities cannot impose uk/european sanctions on guernsey shore angling .... Very divisive issue ...... when cod stocks collapsed i dont recall a clamour for any shore restrictions anywhere ....
Reverance for one species over another is a shame in my opinion ..... Enjoy it all ....

Reactions: Magpie and foxfish
I see the fishing forum is just about to shut down, goes to show how much things can change in such a short time.
I am going in 5 days time mate, not sure how much spearfishing I will do but, I will be rod fishing a lot!
My mate has a house there and a boat and he lives right on the sea edge in the Bay of Islands.

Reactions: Rouge Moullet
IMG-20170123-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20170123-WA0001.jpg

Great first dive of the year. Viz was great.
A fresh at first but definitely worth it.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

New thread for a new year, I wonder what is going to happen regarding any bass restrictions?

Here is a interesting vid to keep you on edge .....

Holy! Is that filmed in Guernsey? Guess that diver needed a change of suit after that! [emoji50]

Anyone lost a speargun? Remi Naftel found it at rocqanie

Does anyone know what the recreational bass restrictions are ?

Hi folks
My first post on the forum. I am used to diving in Scotland where we often don't see much fish life until June. Currently in France and thinking of making way home via Channel Islands in April. I have the spear kit in the camper and was hoping to try out some spots on route.
What are the chances of fish being about in Guernsey in April?
Either way it will be good to see some new dive spots, but always nice to be in with a chance!
Cheers
Sean

Hi Sean, April has traditionally meant plaice and big bass but as in most parts of the world, fishing has declined in Guernsey too!
However you might be lucky and find we have a good run of plaice this year and the water will be nice and clear... it will be cold!
Over the years, big bass are often caught in the spring but I am not even sure how the land lies regards any bass restrictions?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply foxfish. Sounds like there is a chance of seeing some fish which is great news. That's interesting about the plaice, do they come into shallows in numbers in spring time?
It would be fantastic to have a try for bass but understand it is very early in the season. A real shame about declining stocks. As you say we have seen this all over with most species. Is there a chance bass fishing may be banned this year? My knowledge on bass is slim, I have only seen one in northern Scottish waters before, think it's a bit chilly up our way for them!

I am not up to speed on the bass situation as I have been out of the island for the last 10 weeks. I believe most of Europe and England will have, or do have, a bass ban of some form but Guernsey has its own set of rules.
Maybe someone else can tell us more?

I am not up to speed on the bass situation as I have been out of the island for the last 10 weeks. I believe most of Europe and England will have, or do have, a bass ban of some form but Guernsey has its own set of rules.
Maybe someone else can tell us more?
I'm under the impression we can only shoot one a day from July 1st to December 31st and the rest of the time its catch and release only

There are no "SHORE" restrictions on bass captures .... Jersey have just introduced one (January) but this is self imposed..... The bass club (GBASS) have introduced restrictions on their membership because they are afilliated to the uk BASS ANGLING SPORTFISH SOCIETY ....so must be seen to support that legislation ...... As a shore angler in guernsey i find it easy to catch a bass if i want one .... even now at this time of year .... I enjoy all species , never one more than another ..... to make one special is always detrimental .... tightlines....

Reactions: foxfish
Interesting, if I'm not mistaken then it's acceptable to spear a bass from a shore dive? At any time of year?

Interested to hear the reply, seems strange to bring in netting, angling and spear fishing under the same rules. A little unsure if this is the case but seems to be from the information I got online.

On another note, when do you normally start to see pollack around the Channel Islands? And do you ever see cod?

Cheers again
Sean

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT