• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It's has been a two days of really good diving sessions.
Did drops of up to 6m and was rewarded with a mackerel and a bream yesterday.
Today I had a Guilthead also in similar conditions. Did drops along the kelp beds towards the edge of the Sand and waited. Saw some mullet approach and waited for them to pass and could see the yellow speck and a silhouette of guilt in the background. Slowly swam forward and took the shot.!!

Attachments

• 20180801_183325.jpg
    20180801_183325.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 287
  • VideoCapture_20180731-204615.jpg
    VideoCapture_20180731-204615.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 272
  • G0022966_1533064553434_high.JPG
    G0022966_1533064553434_high.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 283
I've been away in Sark for a few days so not had chance to spearfish until today, I took my kayak down the beach so me and my boys could do some plugging and have some fun and give my wife a rest from digging various random sand creations. The water looked Gin clear over the high and our lures only got a couple of tentative enquiries and followers with no actual hook ups. Plenty of Thinlips were breaking the surface though and one beasty bass cruised along side us when we were over a sand patch which made the outing worth while in my sons eyes.
My spear gear wasn't far away and after lunch and a little down time i decided despite being a neap i'd go get it and have a butchers for a Guilty rather than sit on my arse. I loaded the kayak with my gear as i couldn't justify the time otherwise, paddled out to an area i've dived from a teenager and every year since but never from a yak unless fishing (felt like i was cheating).
However, after hoofing a boulder anchor over the side i was just deep of the areas i wanted to hunt and decide to go against the minimal tide with the sun at a handy angle too. Within a minute and before i'd even got cover a good sized (5-7lb)mid water swimming bass cruised right in on me and offered an easy shot and for a split second he was mine! but sanity prevailed. I swam from boot lace patch to the next hanging on the edges where i thought i could use cover to outwit the cunning Guilts, with every patch i was able to drift into bass in varying numbers, none massive but a lot of takers to the point where they were making me jump as i was looking mid water ahead and they were below me, the mullet both greys and Thinnies were pushing their luck too, if it not for the fact that i really wanted a shot at Guilt and not give the spook factor of a shot i would have gone for the Thin Lipped. My return journey was as exciting until i realised the time and had to move my arse or risk being publicly chastised on the beach. In all i would say that what i saw today bass wise was pretty encouraging, no Guilt sittings but i'm still learning, but if i'd really needed fish to eat i would have been in luck, so like you boys had said to an earlier post of mine neaps are well worth diving.

In this afty looking for some gold but found silver instead! Viz was mixed with some bad patches. Saw plenty of 2-3lb fish which I just watched. Took a nice one for the family bbq tomorrow though. 68cm but no scales, would guess around the 7lb mark, took a pic on the fin for scale or international measurement as @portinfer calls it.
Good company and enjoyable dive.
431FCCBC-0FDF-4418-8A17-F7D48137E1F7.jpeg

Last edited:
8pounder-3august2018.jpg

I've been out of the water for a few weeks but made it in last Thursday for a swim around and test the gills.
Saw loads of small bass and got shoaled twice in the shallows as the little curious silver beasties came to investigate zipping through the bootlace.
Tried a drop but the lungs are still a bit fecked so only managed a minute at 3m. A nice shoal of bass came in but all min size - good to see the numbers over the sand. Went stalking in the shallows on the way but but nothing big.

Went with Edd on Friday afternoon to an old favourite. Doing more drops and the lungs felt ok. Maybe a minute and a quarter down to 8m I think. Loads of little pollock but not much else... until I saw two blue-silver backs disappearing down a gulley in the kelp.
I dropped and followed where they had gone, grabbed some kelp to wait and sure enough one of them came back to check me out.

I wasn't convinced I had a decent shot (turned out it was behind the gill) as the water was a little murky so let the fish run to ground. Scooped it by the gills and stringered it.

Showed Edd and we both thought it was a five or sixer. Back on land it looked bigger! Went 8lb 14oz / 4kg.

Boatworks but make sure it the real stuff as they sell a cheaper version as well.

Boatworks but make sure it the real stuff as they sell a cheaper version as well.
Pretty sure its the cheaper stuff Mart, but only needs to hold until an of the shelf replacement arrives Thursday hopefully.

Some French spearos shld be arriving in Guernsey in next few days ..can anyone spare some time to give them a few pointers on Guernsey venues etc?

They are travelling by yacht and are currently in Jersey.

Some French spearos shld be arriving in Guernsey in next few days ..can anyone spare some time to give them a few pointers on Guernsey venues etc?

They are travelling by yacht and are currently in Jersey.

The "Frenchy boys" should be sailing to Gnsy some time 2mos..they are early 20,s and all speak english. I have pointed them in the direction Belgreve as a starting point.They will only be staying a couple of days. Is anyone able to meet up with them? Not necessarily to dive..advice and a friendly face wld do. They normally dive in Brittany and St Malo area, and have already offered to help out us Jsy boys if we fancy a trip to France...which we do! so if Gnsy boys make contact....you might also be able to plan a French trip.

The "Frenchy boys" should be sailing to Gnsy some time 2mos..they are early 20,s and all speak english. I have pointed them in the direction Belgreve as a starting point.They will only be staying a couple of days. Is anyone able to meet up with them? Not necessarily to dive..advice and a friendly face wld do. They normally dive in Brittany and St Malo area, and have already offered to help out us Jsy boys if we fancy a trip to France...which we do! so if Gnsy boys make contact....you might also be able to plan a French trip.
Can help Mike!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT