• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sorry Mike, it is the West show today and I have work tomorrow.
No problem Martyn...now sorted with Pierre. In anycase, after planning , organising and running another " fish in" weekend, I would think more spearos are the last thing u need atmo!

Got in for a dive with the boys Friday after work, viz was poor in places but in sheltered spots we were seeing 4-5 Mtrs over the sand.
First 30 mins was pretty quiet for me then I started seeing plenty of huge mullet and a few bass. Took a couple around 3lb and watched and filmed plenty more including some really nice ones.
Heading back in I considered my dive was done when I saw a guilthead looking fish over the sand, it also saw me and started to swim off, took a really long shot and managed a solid hit. Fish went mental and I got to it as quick as possible.
At first I thought it was some kind of crossbread as it was completely light silver with only a small amount of black in the tail and other small areas. Got back to shore and showed a couple of the boys and they to thought it was strange. 15 mins later I lifted the coolbox lid and it was as if it was a totally different fish. A lot darker with the orange and yellow guilty features. This is the second time I have experienced this with guilts and such a shame my go pro had run out of battery when I shot the fish. Has anyone else experienced this colour change with them before or have any info about it? Do they change their pigment when over sand?
I seem to remember @foxfish mentioning he saw some silver like breams which had guilthead features. Could this possibly explain what you saw Mart?
809D5714-F61D-4F9A-AEEE-CA1DEFA7F37F.jpeg

Went in last night at Grande Rocques for an hour or so.

In hindsight, the conditions were pretty poor. Lots of chop and vis was patchy to say the least but was too keen to experience a night dive.

Despite the conditions, still saw plenty of bass and even a small sole. Wouldn’t have filled a burger bun but first time spotting a flat fish.

Already can’t wait for the next..

Anyone around Tuesday or Wednesday evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried posting the other night but had IT issues, but i was posting to ask if you guys had any good recipes for Gilts as i'd caught a reasonable one of 3'3 plus a Silver bar of 7'2. It was quite an eyeopening dive as i'd not been there before, but i basically got lucky and found some spectacular ground for both stalking and ambushing and saw plenty of sizeable Bass and Mullet which increased in numbers throughout my return.

I decided as i was still in Modus Giltus since seeing your fish in the comp i would try and edge along in the bootlace along side the drop off to the Kelp, once i had got away from the schoolies and mullet in the open things start to look more promising. After tucking in a metre or so from the open and barely kicking then holding a while before moving on a few times, i saw something out the corner of my eye coming out of the bootlace along side me and then it moved enough infant to say it was a nice sized Silver, i couldn't help myself as it swam into my sights. Perfect head shot behind the gills but it still went like absolute stink! completely tangling me up in the bootlace and spinning over my float line too.

10+ mins later i was finally able to resume activity but thinking surely i've made way to much disturbance to see much more. How wrong i was within 2 mins i was seeing Bass and some nice Ballans swimming under me without a care. When i was just starting to think that although it looked good and i'd heard of Gilts in previous years around the area but doubting it was my day i caught sight of movement just along the drop off, as i turned i could see exactly what i was looking for a Bloody Gilty! and for once it hadn't seen me! Even better it was distracted with eating something, I even managed to move slightly out and follow it in the sights before taking my shot. It was on like Donkey Kong!! and by christ this thing reacted every bit as furious as you'd expect towing the gun along before heading straight back past me, into the lace and spinning around the base of them until it was completely trapped and i was left scratching my head. Job done, i was well pleased once the fish was safely on the stringer and swam back in not seeing anything else other than Wrasse. Such an enjoyable swim and some new productive ground covered. It tasted well nice cooked whole stuffed with Coriander and limes with some chilli flakes and pepper wrapped in foil on the BBQ.

At first I thought it was some kind of crossbread as it was completely light silver with only a small amount of black in the tail and other small areas. Got back to shore and showed a couple of the boys and they to thought it was strange. 15 mins later I lifted the coolbox lid and it was as if it was a totally different fish. A lot darker with the orange and yellow guilty features.

Same happened to me here in Greece. Saw a bright silvery fish swimming by, took the shot, sketchy as fück btw, but hit it. Took it in and it was all silver. Once back at the house after some hours in the cooler it had changed appearance quite drastically looking like this... a lot darker with obvious yellow/orange features.

d071ee38f224ef7e853bb846feab6c0c.jpg

Reactions: little sarge
Nice catches guys!
Sound very likely I just saw a pair of giltheads then. I might start calling them silver sand giltheads....

Nice to hear a few of you guys also seeing and shooting guiltheads. @Ben Yeates did you do your first night dive solo or with a buddy?

Wife and daughter in Brittany visiting the in laws so had a chance to get some work done on the gun I am building with the help of Ed after not touching it in months. Thanks Ed she’s really taking shape now.

Also managed a couple of hours in the water with Ed and B too. Viz wasn’t great and I had expected better. Watched a small lone bass in the thick weeds then moved out where the string weed was very thin and almost gone but with a stoney bottom. Saw a lovely yellow band swimming towards me which really stood out as the weather was so overcast, fish turned as it spotted me and bang I secured a nice safe shot. Carried on a bit longer and watched a couple of grey mullet cruising along and spooked a couple of nice bass as I swam back to shore with the fog horn now sounding. Dive was no way as fishy as Friday. Guilthead was 4lb 6oz so happy with that and it should feed me for the next few nights.
7CCDFBD6-FF7B-4668-A0DE-374F98E2EBC1.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing some of these handmade spearguns.

Not sure I’d fancy a solo night dive [emoji15] [emoji23] went in with a buddy from work. Thought it might have felt a bit more eerie than it was though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any of you budding chefs recommend a good local fish that we're likely to come across spearing for a curry? I used to do a nice Monk fish recipe which was very nice, but keen to any suggestions. I'm half expecting Foxfish to recommend Red Mullet:D:D

Reactions: portinfer
I would never ruin a good curry with red mullet mate!
You want a firm fish (like Anglerfish) that doesn’t break up while cooking.
If you are going to cook your curry sauce and just drop in some fish chunks for a few minutes, then most firm fish will be ok.
If you want to cook your fish in the sauce for a longer time then you don’t want a small flaked fish that breaks up easily like pollock or wrasse but more dogfish or sole that stays firm.
Grey mullet is a favourite, there are lots of people who like strong fishy flavours and seem to enjoy a grey mullet curry!!!!

Reactions: westcoaster
I would never ruin a good curry with red mullet mate!
You want a firm fish (like Anglerfish) that doesn’t break up while cooking.
If you are going to cook your curry sauce and just drop in some fish chunks for a few minutes, then most firm fish will be ok.
If you want to cook your fish in the sauce for a longer time then you don’t want a small flaked fish that breaks up easily like pollock or wrasse but more dogfish or sole that stays firm.
Grey mullet is a favourite, there are lots of people who like strong fishy flavours and seem to enjoy a grey mullet curry!!!!

The Mrs lost my fav mullet Indonesian curry recipe, it diffused the mullet taste completely, and was amazing, the one I use now is pretty good, I’ll try to find it if you are not one of those offended by grey mullet [emoji23]

I ended up with a Gilty, should have been 2!! i missed the easiest shot on a point blank fish but then luckily while i was still annoyed at my self came across a small shoal that were to busy to notice me at first and took one of them. Like Foxfish said the more delictate fish(not Pollock) just on top of the sauce seems to work well hopefully the Gilt will cook the same way as the Bass as I find it chunkier than the Black bream.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT