• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey summer fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Thought I'd start a thread on fishing in Guernsey.
Just to keep track of conditions and catches as a reference for next year and to hopefully encourage more people to take up the sport and get out of the armchairs and into the brine !

Last week over the Liberation Day holiday I went a fair few times with Dave and Charlie. Quite a few bass around and the Sunday session was good with Charlie catching a 7.5 pound bass and me getting an 8pounder. Charlie renamed it 'Big Sunday' in commeroration of us both catching bass in the same session and both bass being beauties...

Hopefully there will be more big days to come.

I heard that Adrian caught a 5 pounder the weekend before but guess he is busy at the moment ?

Been dropping in a few times this week after work and seeing between 5 and 10 bass each session and not always coming home empty handed.

There are a pair of new bass guns on the table and soon Pete will join the fold sporting his own hand crafted teak 80cm bass stick. Just as soon as those Italians send the triggers....

Cheers
Ed

Sat 14/05/05
Strong easterly wind, dead neap tide. Vis - moderate to poor. Dived shallows on west (sheltered) coast.Very, very, very few fish seen.
Todays result: Ed 1 (bass) - Dave 0.
Boo Hoo!
Dave the roving reporter.

Quite a dull day in terms of the weather - all a bit overcast and so on...
Went out along a reef but nothing to see other than the occasional large wrasse and smaller little red wrasses.
Decided to head back in - all over kelp and then came across a small patch of sand just behind a small vertical reef - tried a 2m aspetto but a bit too bouyant. Managed to stone a 2 pound bass as it came past - quite a long shot and looked like it wouldn't come back so I took it - shot in the tail right on the lateral line.

The shaft stopped at the flopper and it didn't even open but the fish was dead. Went in after that as it felt surprisingly cold - checked the Mosquito and it read 11C... much colder than the recent temperatures in the same bay of 12C and 13C - and even 14C in the sun at midday in the shallows.

You can really feel the difference at 14C - seems to be the comfort level for me in my 5mm suit.... need to eat more lard sandwiches I think.

Well looks like my mate from Alderney may be taking up the sport for 2 weeks before his ear op.....Could get lucky with a nice bass....but at 6'7" and size 14 feet it might be hard to get the right kit for him.

Cheers
Ed

Saw first spider crab inshore today. A small male. Sure sign of summer but unfortunately also a sign that any flatfish that were inshore will move offshore 'til June/July. Ho Hum back to the bass then - providing Ed doesn't get them first. That boy should be :ban

Aha ! Busted again !
Dave 'I don't think I'll go tomorrow' F. !

Any luck ? I'm not going today - just too dreary....grey old day...

Tried East coast high tide spot. Had a family "do" later so low tide was out. My high tide spot is very small, only room for one, therefore "Jonah" wasn't invited. Got my just deserts. Blanked. Stop laughing Ed. Saw in total 2 wrasse plus that spider. Vis was fishable, maybe 8-12 foot. This spot is usually guarenteed a small bass or seven, like 90%+ success rate. Never seen it so dead. Neap tides are usually ok here but there are a few shoals of sandeel appearing (good news) can only be those Easterlies (wind in the east, fish bite the least). Oh well back to work tomorrow for first Monday in 3 weeks. Was getting used to those 4 day weeks. Now getting used to catching nout! Tides a bust all this week after work but maybe I'll get desperate and try something. Might even take Ed,then at least I can look at the fish he catches.
Good spearing to all
Dave :waterwork

Bass season is closed for anglers for a month from today 15th May in Ireland.
Maybe the Bass have gone away from Guernsey to spawn?

Hey Huan - I think that I am right in saying that they spawn here from about mid January to late March. Certainly all the fishing boats target them then (crazy to target spawning fish but that is another long story...).

I think that you may be right with the bigger spawning bass - they could move offshore or elsewhere but the fish that I have been seeing fall in the 1 pound to 8 pound category with most being in the 3 to 5 pound category. So more juveniles and less of the prime breeding stock ?

I'll have another look for them over the following weeks :)

Seems to be a possible connection between bass inshore feeding habits and a big spring tide. In other words I noticed alot of activity before the lowest low and highest high (full moon ?) and a day after it tailed right off and is now more or less finished.

Probably a combination of stuff too - in the shallows when I saw the most bass it was a day before the spring and the water was 14C in the shallows. The other day it was back down to 11C... also overcast - so might be necessary to have a spring tide with good sunshine and warm shallows ?

Observationally yours,
Ed

Easterlies here and worldwide are a waste of time.
I have never had good fishing in any sort of east (NE, E, SE) winds.
I find that high tide is the best for Bass round here,Better Vis also.
I think the bass come in to feed at HW and hang round the stringweed beds along with mullet.
I was out on the kayak the last day and nothing to be seen, apart from a decent Pollock which I was too rusty(slow) to hit.
Ed get a kayak you won't look back.

Ahhhh kayaks....

Now there is a good story.
Still trying to get hold of one - tried to get a Fenn Mako surfski. Seemed to be the best kayak type craft that would meet my needs and be fun to mess around with but I could either pay over the odds for it and have it shipped to me here direct from SA or I could pay slightly less than over the odds for one and drive over to France to pick it up (just got my licence and still no wheels...).
So I looked into getting a Cobra Expedition and got a price from the dealer inthe UK but he is refusing to answer my mails and I haven't got round to phoning him - think that it will work out but seems like alot of hassle to get contact from him...

But yes - keen to try kayak fishing - also fun to get out on the water and cruise around...
Ed

In again today. No wind and flat calm. Dead of the neap today and last low tide available this week after work (7pm low). Only 2.5 metre range, thats only 4 foot rise/fall either side of half tide. Pretty unusual small tide as we have a range of up to 10 metres here in Guernsey. Vis was good at 15 to 20 foot. Swam nearly 2 miles all around a large offshore reef. Absolutly dead. All my usual bass corners were empty. Only saw 4 mullet and 5 wrasse in 2 1/2 hours. Shot 3 of the large wrasse (4-5lbs) to make a change from mullet, bass and pollock. Ed whimped off so no bass to report (what's her name Ed?). It's really not worth going at the moment but tides are now making and the East wind has gone (for good I hope). Besides if you don't go you definitely can't catch. Few days off and try again. Anyway can't go tomorrow - it's my birthday (lost count how many) and I'm under orders from "she who must be obeyed" to be sociable (not in my nature).
Stay tuned for future updates from the fishy isle.
One year older man Dave. :friday

Huan said:
Bass season is closed for anglers for a month from today 15th May in Ireland.
Maybe the Bass have gone away from Guernsey to spawn?

Does this ban apply to spearos too? If so when is it over? A group of us are planning on taking a trip there next month on the 18th for a weeks spearing after a week in North Wales
Cheers

It’s the weekend, neap tides have changed to small springs and that deadly east wind has gone south. Trouble is that the wind is force 5. Rough on the east and west coasts, forget the south. South wind has brought swell, offshore reefs are white.
Went over the low tide in the small sheltered bay down west where I shot 4 bass and 3 mullet last week. Walked half a mile down to the sea edge and slipped into the little bay. Small tide so a bit high but good enough. Vis was good at 15-20 foot. Crept around the reefs in super stealth mode. A few minutes in spotted the first bass, a small one about 2lb. It didn’t see me in the thick bootlace weed, depth 2-3 foot. Stoned it with a headshot from 2 foot range. Strung it and back to creeping in a zigzag to cover all the ground in this little bay. Bass number 2, a 3 pounder, fell to another 1-2 foot headshot. Next fish saw me and scooted. Had time for a long shot but missed. The last bit of the bay produced another 3 pounder. Saw this one just disappear behind the bootlace in about 4 foot depth. Tracked the gun 2 foot sideways to the next gap in the weed and nailed the fish dead centre as it appeared. Didn’t risk a headshot as I think the bass was aware and the weed hampered me (good excuse for a bad shot at a range of 2 foot). Applied the coup de gras with the knife from my arm sheath. Reached the mouth of the bay with 3 of the 4 bass I reckon were in it now on my belt. It had taken about 40 minutes at slow to stop stealth mode but good result. The mouth of the bay was 4-10 foot deep but here the dreaded swell reduced vis to 6-10 foot. Crept around in the lee of some small reef heads. Slightly better vis. Saw a mullet suddenly appear (how do they do that?) from super shallows between two reefs. Wasn’t after mullet but this one had a death wish. It offered me its broadside at 3-4 foot range as it slowly circled. Took time to sight the gun for a dead centre shot, essential for those soft-bodied mullet. Good shot, followed by more finishing off with the knife and adding to the stringer. Moved towards the edge of some sand still trying to hide in the bootlace weed. Vis now about 8 foot and depth 5 foot. Saw a decent fish, well saw the back (tail) half, as it was in mid depth behind some bootlace. Took an instant shot, without sighting, at the mid body from a range of 6 inches. The 6mm spear passed straight through the 5 lb bass. Finished it off easily as it was stunned and made little effort to swim off. Spent another half hour, making it a 2-hour dive. Saw 2 larger bass and 2 small ones together. No more shots though as all were spooked. Back at the car I discovered I’d forgotten my towel. Literally, had a rub down with an oily rag (found in my car boot).
Ed was busy buying a car so I was solo but I did take some pic’s . Should be one showing “Secret Bay” in the background.
This is the old rambler signing off – happy huntin’.
Dave :king

Last edited:
Too fed up to write a report on todays effort, so leave Ed to do it. Suffice to say ; Ed 2 and Dave 0.
Not Again!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave :waterwork

Well the Sunday session started off with quite alot of wind and a fair amount of swell so we tried a different area...
From the carpark it looked ok and the sun was breaking through in patches giving the sea some deep turquoise areas over the sand.
A hop across the rocks and down across the sand into the water - visibility was low, alot of silt and sediment in the water. I took one side and Dave the other, as Dave had driven he had 'ladies choice' so took the bootlace and me the rocky reef with a nice drop off onto sand.

A short flip over to the rocks and didn't see much so thought I'd try a short aspetto at 2m.
Down on the bottom the visibility was low and then I saw about four bass heading my way, they were about two metres off the end of my spear and just dull shapes but up closer they were definitely bass. A croak or two like Shane makes in his videos helped as I went down I reckon. Anyway as they turned I shot one - turned out to be roughly a two and a half pounder.

Waited a couple of minutes inbetween dives and slowly made my way along the reef diving down another three or four times.

I got pretty near the end and saw a mullet go beneath me. A short drop to the bottom in about 5m of kelp. I just sat on the edge pointing out to the end of the reef with the sand on my right when I bagan to notice murky shadows over the sand. Alot of murky shadows.

Suddenly I was shoaled by mullet ! Never seen that with so many and so close before. Some nice ones in the bunch too but I had heard, although never seen, rumours of a solitary bass running with the crowd.

Guess I got lucky 'cos as the breath was going I saw the familiar angular gill plate and got a decent shot just behind the 'ear' on a four and a half pound bass. I'm not sure if there were other bass in the mix but this one came home with me.

Tried the point for about half an hour I guess and I saw another beauty but it had totally stealthed me and appeared half way along my spear and going a fair lick, so I didn't even shoot.

Went off for a safari after that.
Around some points and rocks and the occasional aspetto but the swell and poor visibility was turning my stomach quite badly. Seemed to get worse the further down I went. Dropped to 6.5m but couldn't hang around ...

On the shallower aspettos I saw alot more mullet cruising past and pretty hard to hit if you were trying as the visibilty and their clear colour meant that you had to take an instinctive shot.

Saw a couple of nice lobsters in a pot (ethically beyond my reach - but good to know that they are around) and a spider on the rim of a pot that ethically may have made it home with me ... jury is still out on 'ownership' in that situation so I left it.

Back in the bootlace and in stealth mode with worse visibility if anything... Found a small curve in the weed/rocks and headed out with Dave going around the outside and me just drifting in the weed. Saw the purple/silver back of a decent sized bass motor out from under me and then 30 seconds later it barrelled straight at me ! I took a shot at this charging bass but think it went too low and ll I caught was granite.... Shame as it looked to be in the 6 to 7 pound range.

Quite exciting to see it motor at me. As I was reloading I saw another bass hover in the weed - a long shot but I took it and missed as a swell came in and lifted the gun slightly at the last minute (ehem... not my aim I assure you guvner !)

Anyway called it a day and swam back to shore - Dave was going to make me walk home but in the end I got a lift from his boatman (don't worry - hopefully get my own wheels on Monday, all 998cc of raw power .... Still, must remember to catch less bass with Dave around....)

Ed

Last edited:
A few days of rough seas and consequently poor vis has been followed by flat oily calm but with a low swell. Didn’t think that the vis would be fishable but Ed was keen and tide was 2 hours up after work. Went west coast to “Ed’s spot”. He drove so ladies choice. Could hear the surf booming on the offshore reefs a mile or so out – eerie! Definitely a shallow diving day plus we were both a bit knackered being wage slaves by day. Vis was fishable at 6-10 foot. Saw a shoal of small bass, let them pass. Found a small shallow bay, which was warm and calm. Spotted a bass about 2-3 lbs but it spotted me. Tracked it at 4-5 foot range but with the gun trailing the fish. Suddenly it cut close and the gun caught up. Took a reflex shot at 3-4 foot. Caught it behind the head but high. Suffice to say it tore off just before I got my hand on it. Shit! I hate loosing fish, especially if I wound them. Two minutes later nailed one of a pair of mullet, again in the shallow bay. Felt better. Not long and I came across a solo mullet. Totally stealthed it. Head shot at 1 inch range (really). 120 cm spear went clean through plus about 2 foot of line. Tide was really flooding now so back inshore but once there vis was crap. Home early after 11/2 hours. Ed blanked (now there’s something you don’t often hear). He hadn’t seen much either. Still there’s always tomorrow.
Dave

Pretty calm day and hot too inth office so I bailed and hit the east coast - in for about 15 minutes and on a shallow 3m aspetto and saw three bass in the poor vis.
Gently swung and another poor shot in the tail as they went past away in the distance.

A nice 4 pounder. Had a look around for another bass or two but called it a day after an hour and tried another spot with Charlie on the west coast.

Better vis, not much swell and ... less fish !

An hour later and I had seen one mullet.

Oh well - the bass grilled up nicely on the bbq - a bit too fresh for my liking (I generally leave them a day and they tender up and relax) but it went down well.

Cheers
Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT