• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey summer fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
water temp : 15C
max depth : 10.8m
max dive time : 1.35mins
no of dives : 36
visibility : 6m
swell : not much but alot of wind blown chop
----------------------------

Alot of wind today and the chop was pretty bad. Anyway I decided to go and get wet. I managed to get down to the sea for low water and fished for two hours rising.

I got down to the waters edge and it looked quite rough and as I went in that ominous feeling of yet another day with b*gger all vis filled me with frustration :( But I emerged through the shore break and was met with clear 6m vis :) Yay ! Such a relief ! I hung there for a moment savouring it, and looked to my left and saw a line of muddy water while to the right was clear - yes, as cleanly demarcated as that.

Anyway I got on with the job at hand - mainly searching for a bass to replenish my winter stock in the freezer. On the aspettos in about 5m of water there was no swell at the bottom - a good sign. On the second drop I saw a nice bass heading my way behind some large mullet - it turned and presented me with it's lateral line so I took the chance and luckily stoned it on the lateral. A nice two and a half pound bass within the first five minutes.

I headed out along a reef following the weed/sand border dropping down into the beautiful calm stillness below the surface and resurfacing a while later back into the buffeting wind and chop. I saw alot of mullet on each dive and the occasional wrasse too.

Out on the end of the reef the current wasn't as strong as I expected - or at least it was very proscibed - one metre further out and you could feel it tugging you towards France ! A metre back and you could fish happiliy - the depth at the end was about 10m or so. You could make out sand or weed on the botom but no details - which is still pretty good considering the recent rubbish vis.

Well I had a few drops off the end and really enjoyed getting down to 10m (and back again) - definitely the secret is to be super relaxed for the whole dive - a bit hard when you are being thrown around on the surface but still I managed a good few dives off the end. On one of them I was on the surface breathing up and glanced to my right to see a large shoal of mullet and a lovely 4 or 5 pound bass in with the mix - I tried to line it up and took a shot but with the chop I would have been lucky to hit it 10cm away let alone several metres. They hung around for a bit - typically just until you have reloaded and then they were gone.

Rounding the corner with the tide coming over the reef I thought it safer to head back in and besides I was tired. Back into the shallows with about 5m of water and good vis - I dropped onto a patch of kelp and rock and was soon surrounded by mullet - one of them looked a bit funny so I shot it :) Yes another bass in he mullet gang - this time a five pounder and again cleanly stoned on the lateral line behind the gill plate.

Decided to call it a day and head for home but just on the way back in a bass came into view moving slowly along a gulley in front of me. The water was calmer here so I lined it up and shot from the surface. A clean shot and although it wasn't as close to the gill plate it stoned it too... Lucky day 8)

Attachments

• ek_6_5_2point5_13Nov05_02.jpg
    ek_6_5_2point5_13Nov05_02.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 190
Nice report Ed.Happy to see someone apart from the medfish guys getting some fish still.I've already started dreaming of new kit and plans for next summer.

water temp : 13C
max depth : 11m
max dive time : 1.17mins
no of dives : 34
visibility : 8m
swell : none

Had a dive this afternoon for a few hours, the swell was right down and the wind had dropped too meaning pretty calm conditions. I thought I'd try the west coast for a change as I can't remember the last time I dove there.

The reef where I like to go sometimes on a spring tide was pretty good. I had a good long part of the session in the shallows stalking fish in about 2m to 4m. Really clear in the shallows at about 4m visibility. I saw a nice bass in the current but not a hope in hell of getting it ! It was a good 6m away from me and also in a raging river of a current that I was trying to swim across. I gave up in the end - always forget how strong the rips are...

Anyway I got swept round by the current and angled towards some rocks so I could get out and walk to another spot. Alot deeper and alot calmer and alot clearer. I was amazed to see that the visibility made it look like the depth was 6m but in fact it was about 10m or 11m...

I shot a four pound bass on aspetto and it did the classic 'what's that ? Oh I better make a turn when I get close...' manouver - so shot just on the edge of the gill plate :)

I was seeing alot of smallish pollack too and as I was chilling out on the bottom admiring the numbers (shed loads of pollack all about a pound maybe) a red mullet swam through the shoal. I lined up shot it and then headed for the surface... duh... the spear got tangled in some kelp and I saw the fish tear off and swim away. I hate it when that happens. Poor fish, lucky crabs.

Anyway after working my way along the reef I found another good spot in about 10m or so and dropped onto the sand edge. Again all the pollack mobbed me and they were so cool to watch. And another red mullet made it's way towards me - I went for a solid body shot this time - two and a half pounds :)

Called it a day and swam the mile or so home - felt like ti was taking me ages ... now I know why I have been avoiding the west coast.

Ed

Attachments

• ek_4bass_2point3red_14Nov05.jpg
    ek_4bass_2point3red_14Nov05.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 195
  • ek_4bass_2point3red14Nov05_.jpg
    ek_4bass_2point3red14Nov05_.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 187
Hi guys!
I've not been around for a g e s and have not been in the water for as long - sadly. My gill flaps are sealing up. :(
I've got relatives in from South Africa for a few days so I thought I'd drop in to see what's around. Glad to see you guys still pulling stuff out the hat.
Hope to be in in the next couple of days... so leave some for me eh!? ..got hungry mouths to feed!
Might see you 'round.
ttfn [m]

Last edited:
Hey Marcel - plenty o' fish around still and the visibility has improved alot recently - it was shocking a few weeks ago. Quite a few red mullet around - or meant to be - especially in the evenings/nights... Give me a shout if you want some company.
Ed

Cheers Ed. Looking to go in the next hour or so if you fancy (sorry for short notice). Probably Cobo, unless you've better idea.
[m]

Last edited:
What can i say,this was a huge red mullet Ed.After all i wanna know that how did you cooked it :) ?

water temp : 14C
max depth : 8.3m
max dive time : 1.30mins
no of dives : 40
visibility : 5m
swell : mill pond flat :)

I couldn't resist going in today - it looked so calm and nice !

Anyway a nice trip down to the beach and out along the kelp/sand border dropping down into the shallows at about 4m to 6m. I saw alot of mullet and they were really big ones too. About half an hour into the dive and I was warming up a bit and making longer dives.

I found a nice point on the edge of the reef and dropped down into the kelp looking out onto the sand in about 6m or so of water. Towards the end of the aspetto after about 1:10 or so I saw alot of large mullet coming past so waited to see if there were any bass in the blend.

Sure enough they were there. A whole load of them came in just after the mullet. They all looked about the same size so I picked the largest one. I was about to shoot when a slightly smaller one shadowed it so I hesitated and waited for it to move. I have since found out that you can fire through fish... doh ! Next time I might get a double whammy...

Anyway, after shooting it I strung it and carried on diving - I am really poor at judging fish sizes in the water... so I made my way to another reef across some sand and dropped onto the neptunce grass but I had the wrong weighting for the depth (7mm suits are warm but floaty...) Saw a nice shoal of 4 or 5 pound bass go past but hesitated as I already had a fat one on the belt and a load in the fridge :)

Met Pete at about 3pm and tried another spot. Saw the size of the bass in tha car park and had a large grin :)

Well the next place was more of a night dive with dark waters and no torch... I saw a shoal of black bream on one dive which were really nice but maybe a bit too far to shoot and anyway I hesitated and they swam off. I was really after red mullet - my new fav. fish ... (Aydin : I baked it in the oven with a bit of olive oil and salt and a bit of lemon jiuce - soooo goood !)

Well might have anothe dive tomorrow - sorry to have missed you Marcel - I am free tomorrow and Miles might be keen for a night dive ... maybe an early evening one ? Cobo could be fun - I have not dived there this year ... drop me a line - I have this week off to sort out house stuff....

Ed

Attachments

• ek17Nov05_9threequarters_03.jpg
    ek17Nov05_9threequarters_03.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 182
  • ek17Nov05_9threequarters_01.jpg
    ek17Nov05_9threequarters_01.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 179
water temp : Brrrr C
max depth : shallow
max dive time : short
no of dives : not many
visibility : OK but milky
swell : very slight surge

Magnificent recovery from a bad day. :rcard
Car keys had been lost earlier in the day which had left me hiking from Cobo to Beaucamps to teach for a couple of hours. Hiked back with just enough time in hand to get to College of FE to teach ... wifey had found keys but as I pulled away from home the exhaust fell off (temporary fix failed). Applied another temp fix which didn't make it out of the driveway. Tried to apply a stronger fix but got to frustrated to do a proper job. Called College and sadly had to cry off. Was due to my parent's place at 5.30 for supper with South African relatives that are with us this week - called and said I was going diving to 'cool off'. :waterwork

It was a first for me... I've barely ever ventured out on my own, and certainly not at night - but, I needed it.

Waited 'til it got dark so I could do a proper job with the torch and slipped in at Cobo. Maybe 50m offshore I bumped into a lovely 2lb Sole - this was quite something because I've never seen any decent Sole down at Cobo, and I was only in maybe 3m of water! He was mooching in to see what the high tide was revealing in the moonlight - and then he died.

It took me a while to sort him out on to my improvised stringer. Normally I take a bobber with bag attached but that would have been too much hassle on my own. A bit of spare coathanger wire left over from the exhaust fix and a bit of string did the job.

No sooner had I started hunting again, after the Sole business dealt with, I saw a single grey figure on the bottom. It took me a moment to compose a plan of attack because I didn't want to scare him off. He seemed quite cool with me being there. I dropped, heavily belted, as he turned away from me then motionless leaving plenty of time to line up before delivering a surprise unequalled in his lifetime! In the lower side and out through the mouth. Job done. 4lb Bass in 4m of water.

Once I had faffed with the stringer once more I slid across the beach part way then back. Getting a little chilly after an hour I was thinking about heading in but took a mooch over the normally dry inshore reef. Away away from me I saw the dimmest glimmer of a silver broadside and then he was gone. I stuck around and then several times more I got glimpses in the now fading torch-light before I won his confidence enough for him to come in close. Just at the range limit of my gun but moving slowly I justified his confidence. 5lb Mullet in barely 2m of water. Super fish and a bit of a fighter.

Came in, after just over an hour, smiling. What a tonic. First Sole at Cobo, and my biggest Bass and Mullet.

Was also hoping for Red Mullet - also my fav fish. Saw a lot of evidence of Cuttlefish activity.

Pictures to follow. :p

So nice to have finally got back in the water. George is on a bit of a dry-spell with family and house. Ho hum.

See ya round chaps!
[m]

Attachments

• Sole, Mullet, Bass.JPG
    Sole, Mullet, Bass.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
water temp : 14C
max depth : 9m
max dive time : 1.27mins
no of dives : 23
visibility : 9m
swell : mill pond flat

Lovely weather for diving - I went to a spot I have been to a few times with a friend to try out her new D70 with housing - very very cool :) A nice 10mm super wide angle lens too - might get some pix from her sometime...

So calm, so clear, so few fish around to shoot :( !

Managed to find Dave's secret flatfish spot as it was clear enough and had a good look around but flatfish hunting at 9m is a bit on the extreme side (repeat dives in short time... tiring) - anyway had a bash but it was evident that there were none around - that's my excuse.

Saw alot of pollack, medium sized shoals, alot of wrasse and that was about it - alot of the weed has been ripped out and is on the shore leaving the seabed a bit clearer - might be a good time to look for lobsterosso's ?

Back to work tomorrow :(

Ed

Attachments

• VM_montcuet20nov05_01.jpg
    VM_montcuet20nov05_01.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 191
  • VMMontCuet20Nov05_03.jpg
    VMMontCuet20Nov05_03.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 204
  • VMMontCuet20Nov05_04.jpg
    VMMontCuet20Nov05_04.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Out in the boat on Sunday. First time for a month that it’s been calm. Went northwest for the high tide. Short days so got a move on and ran through the tight inshore passages at speed. 29 foot, 5 ton boat running at 20 knots, 20yards off the rocks, with just 8 ft under the keel. Fun.
Down 106 foot on the gravel but with decent vis and no swell for a change. Only found the one small brill.
This time of year can be very good for flatfish but they move offshore to breed in the winter. The timing of their departure seems to depend on the weather. Strong winds and heavy swells see them disappear early whereas settled weather sees them stay longer. This year has been a bad one. We’ve had a month of gales and mega swells. I fear most of the flats have already gone.
I had John the boatman and John the diver with me. John (diver) moaned about cold and wetsuits. Personally I find my compressed neoprene drysuit to be “the biz”, so no sympathy from me. John opted for the one tank approach due to his fear of the impending shock of cold water and seeing my lack of flatfish decided on a scallop dive.
Moved a couple of miles east and dropped John in to 60foot on the “Patch”. He enjoyed himself but only managed a couple of dozen. Before I even had put my tank on he was streaking (literally in the noddy) to the wheelhouse and muttering about warm clothes and hot coffee.
I dropped in to the same area and found, at 62 foot, a gentle trickle of tide and 20 foot vis. Had an excellent 40 minute dive collecting 3 and a half doz large scallops plus 2 bonus crabs. Both the crabs were a good size and were found hiding on the same patch of reef alongside the scallop ground.
Back in the boat I even managed some fish on the rods. Pretty enjoyable day for me, but then that’s any day diving as far as I’m concerned.
Back early and after an hour of unloading, mooring up, scrubbing the decks and rowing ashore, was home in time for tea.
I live to dive.
Dave

PS Don’t mention Saturdays snorkel expedition. It never happened. 4 spearo’s, no fish. Even Ed “the jammy one” was fishless.

Finlay ("Fin" for short) is 2 days old.
As the first grandchild of "Old Man Dave" and with a name like "Fin", guess what he's gonna be when he grows up?
That's my grandson.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Dave

Last edited:
Congratulations Dave ! Wonder when he gets to go flatfishing ! I think George had his daughter in mask and snorkle by 4 years ?!

Anyway - been a busy week ... couple of night dives, couple of day dives...

Had a nice dive with Marcel and Pete and Miles on Thursday. Calm and clear... lots of fish and good night life in general (aquatic night life) - and some phosphoressence (sp...) - never seen it before but very very cool :) I buddied with Marcel and shared a gun and between us we had 3 nice bass and 2 sole ... well one and a half - I had to return the first sole to Miles who dropped it... and his gun ... and other bits too ... :)

Pete and Miles had a sole and a bass between them. Saw some nice crabs too and a little cuttle or squid - Marcel saw it - superior light beam :) Must get one of those torches - D4 was it?

Had another night dive last night with Pete - couple of bass and saw some nice squid. Very beautiful colours. Went diving in a bay with plenty of streetlights and this made life easier... Freezing though...

And just back from a nice morning dive on the east coast with Pete - Dave was frightened by the ice floes in the sea... pah ! Anyway, a fantastic dive (11m max :) - getting there) - Pete found a couple of ormers which were inspected and returned (illegal to dive for them) - and I saw a nice shoal of bass and some mullet too (and the ubiquitous wrasse and pollack) - very clear - you could make out rough detail at 11m and good detail at 8m - made it a bit hard to judge ... ie what you expected to be 6m was actaully 8m deep. Very very clear :) Saw a submerged net so gave it a wide berth as I am knifew less at the moment.... Good to be in the sea and I enjoyed the 20minute vertical climb back tothe car - kind of gets you warm again... brrrr
Cheers 'Iceblock' Ed (not fun coming back to a house without heating...or hotwater...)

The season seems to be rapidly drawing to a close. However after some awful autumn weather the last few weeks this has been much improved. Ed recently had a week off and certainly struck lucky with the conditions. That was when he had his near double figure bass and his jumbo red mullet. Since then daylight dives have only been possible at weekends, weather permitting, for the “workers” amongst us. This has led to some increase in night diving. Led by example and sometimes in person by Marcel, these dives have been proving very fishy.
Personally I’ve been trying to get out in the boat with the tanks most weekends, to chase the flats, with some success. This weekend looked promising but proved just a tad too rough. If I was still commercial I would have gone but no longer. Commercial potter mate Chris went and confirmed my decision, it wasn’t nice out there. My only snorkel spearo trip had been the weekend before last when there was nothing doing, a la 4 divers - no fish, as previously reported. Also I’ve been rather busy being “Granddad Dave”. :)
So last night I thought I might join the “night diver” clique. I last dived at night over 30 years ago and that was with the tanks. To be honest I’m not sure that fishing at night isn’t a little cheating but I was intrigued so I thought I’d give it the benefit of the doubt. Ed was gracious enough to keep me company and a bit of instruction. Tide was rubbish being half tide going down. Pouring rain, cold north wind, swell and overcast – great!
Well I’m a convert. You can teach an old dog new tricks. It was really great. Vis was good and there was a lot to see. We (actually Ed) found a small sole, but we left it to grow. Didn’t see any bass, just the one mullet. There were lots of almost transparent smelt plus a little cuttlefish (sepia atlantica?) and a really neat little pipefish. Edible crabs were moving around all over the place in a way you don’t see in daylight. One might have made the grade but left it like the sole to grow a bit. Keen to go again and especially to try some of my fishy bassy day spots at night. Might be next season before that happens though.
After my last nights dive experience I decided to get off work early and use the last hour of afternoon daylight to try my east coast high tide spot. Think I’ll stick to night diving. Despite good vis, mucho looking in bassy spots, I only saw one mullet. Had a good swim back across “The River” of tide, urged on by fading light and the very real fear of being lost at sea at night.
Not sure if it will be worth going much longer as with less than 4 weeks to Chrissy mass its getting bloody cold and the fish are going off to deeper water to do their breeding thing. Still if Ed and the others are still keen then the old man won’t let the kids put him to shame.
Seasons Greetings.
Dave.

Nice weekend weather for a change. Today (Sunday) was really calm and sunny but very cold. Tides are neaping, so decided to go out in the boat to chase the flats with the tanks. Took some bait so we could set a few hooks as well. Just me and boatman John today.
Went north and set 25 hooks off the usual headland and then another 25 in the mouth of one of the bays. Suited up in my 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit, although a few leaks make it more semi-dry these days. Water’s about 10 degrees now so with an easterly wind and low air temp it was going to be chilly.
Dropped in to my secret corner in 90 odd feet, just at slack tide. Quite good vis but low light levels with the sun being so low at this time of year. Plenty of bait (sandeels) which was surprising and a good sign. 15 minutes later had done the patch for …………. no fish.
Set off to the next nearest gravel bank to finish the tank. Rather a suspicious amount of new bobbers (marker buoys) came into sight. Dropped in anyway and yep, nets everywhere. Did 15 minutes in about 80 ft, weaving around a couple of nets and then, out on some open ground, found a medium sized brill. Not much but better than nothing.
Kept my suit on as we motored back to the bay and the set line. I love working trots, the anticipation as you pull the hooks in and feel for fish is a buzz. There was still some bait left so even the crabs are finding it cold but we had caught loads of weed. The last few hooks saved the day though and some nice sized bream came over the gunwale. Hooray!
Rigged up a second tank and dropped into the bay from where we’d just pulled the trot line. Summer time this is a good plaice and especially sole spot. Don’t think even summer would have helped as the tide was pushing mega loads of dead weed over the sandy bottom. Didn’t look good so gave up after a fishless 10 minutes.
Next stop the headland with the other 25 hooks. Dropped in first to finish the second tank and to look for a few scallops. Down 25 minute in 65 ft. Nice dive with good vis, a steady trickle of tide and an interesting, if rather flat, mixy bottom. Two and a half dozen assorted size scallops lay in the fish box as I changed out of my gear and got ready to pull those 25 hooks
Never seen so many dogfish as came in on my trot line. I think it was 12, almost one every other hook. Dogfish city or what? Was kinda fun though and we put them back unharmed.
Well that was my day and now sitting at home in the warm, surrounded by Christmas decorations, I think that’s it for this season. Probably do a bit more rod fishing and some set lines if the weather allows but come January the boat will come up for its annual overhaul. It’s got too cold and there’s too few fish to warrant tank diving. After all I am “Old Man Dave”.

Just a couple of foot notes to finish. Mambas have arrived and Ed and I tried them out yesterday. I think that I was expecting too much but they are nice guns and next season will be the real test.
Ed says he’s had enough of cold fishless dives but when I suggested a night dive some time soon he says “I’m up for that”. So maybe the seasons not quite dead yet!
Lastly Ed and I are still planning an end of season “Review of the Year”, complete with picture fest, to celebrate the termination of Guernsey summer fishing 2005 prior to Guernsey summer fishing 2006 – the dark side.
Season’s greetings
Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT