• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Gulfstream Upwelling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You have any Aquarius missions in the near future?

I meant to mention on our second Clark dive we were smack in between the two water masses. Absolutely no current, and as we floated off the hull, looking towards the bow we had a wall of green water off to the left -- off to the right we had blue. The vertical delineation was very distinct and very weird looking.

One of my buddies sent me an add for a DiveAlert - maybe I should check into one of those, eh? <G>

Cheers,
Mike

...more info from the University of Washington...

This just in from Nate of the U of W. I mentioned the topic and widespread interest here on Deeper Blue.
He was happy to oblige....Thanks, Nate!

If folks are interested in the true "big picture" of how normal/abnormal ocean
temperatures are around the world, check out these links:

the past week:
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/map/images/sst/sst.anom.gif

the past month:
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/map/images/sst/sst.anom.month.gif

the past 3 months:
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/map/images/sst/sst.anom.seasonal.gif

Very cool!!! Thanks for sharing OceanSwimmer!!! I'm truly intrigued now....Will study these more!

The water here is still 20 degrees below where it should be, but is warming considerably thanks to our previous "tropical wave". Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth we are hoping now that the next "tropical thingy" to come out of the Carribbean will level our temperatures off. ;)

Ok, its begun again. The warming trend that began 10 days ago is now abating again. For a few days there was a measurable temperature increase - ten degrees or so....Now it is dropping again with the move of this tropical storm. (I think that is what is driving it - but the last one brought in warm water?) Anyone else seeing this happen?

--- Yep, the temps are dropping and I think Jay called this: it's wind-driven. Looking at the satellite maps, we all have some activity happening, both in your neighborhood, Kim, and here on the West Coast. It was described on the news last night as 'transitional weather patterns' -- meaning Summer is holding on whilst Fall is moving forward...;)
---Yes, that's a good analogy!

....yack

...This just in; we are having a Red Tide underway here in San Diego...:naughty and no, loopy and Shadowkiller... I don't want to hear about it! :mute

Reactions: Shadowkiller
Re: ....yack

Originally posted by OceanSwimmer
and no, loopy and Shadowkiller... I don't want to hear about it! :mute
Oh!!! An unjust accusation my lady! Most uncouth of you... :t

FYI we are having our own "red tide" at the moment. Its just a small algal bloom but makes diving a bit spooky. :cool:

Just a wee little tidbit ...

The anual Sardine run off South Africa was a non-event this year - the first time in many, many years that they failed to take the migratory route up the East coast of South africa. This was largely due (according to the scientists) to the above-normal sea temperatures. The sards only migrate in water under 20 degrees C, and the water this year hasn't dropped below that ....

Mmmmm ...

Sounds like it is pretty much nasty everywhere right now. I heard an interesting theory yesterday from a gentleman who was a meterologist and boat captain for the last forty years. He posits that when the water temp off eastern florida drops below 80 degrees F it acts as a "foul weather block" preventing tropical storms etc from coming in. He believes that the upwelling events here are more severe in years when there will be more hurricanes and tropical storms in the Atlantic. I have seen no proof for this - but it is an interesting concept. Just thought i would share.

I'm gonna jump in now, cause I've been really bummed about the cold water from Hatteras down. I've only been diving NC for about 8 years, but this is the coldest (and darkest) I've seen the water in August since I started. Where I usually enjoy temps in the upper 70's F, its been 65F, and visibility down to 25 feet. Kim, I do find the comments by your friend interesting and it does seem to me that we haven't had as many tropical waves originating in Africa and coming across the South Atlantic as we typically do. Most of what seems to have developed has started in the Carribean and moved through the Gulf to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and north. Also, we have had the wettest, coolest summer I can remember ever in this area. You would have a hard time convincing folks here it was global warming with only a couple weeks of summer weather so far this year.

:yack
Well, it's here and it's not pretty.
Red tide has hit our beaches

--whew-- I can't wait for this to be a memory!

Update 9/22/03
The water is still brown here, despite the passage of time and tempers. Freedivers in San Diego are an unhappy-looking bunch...is it the 'heartbreak' of dry skin?
One of our senior members said he has NEVER seen the water do this for such a long time in his history of freediving (he is one of the fellas who freedove in the 30s and 40s.)
He also mentioned (and I liked this perspective) that perhaps just because we've not seen it before doesn't mean it hasn't happened. 'All part of a bigger cycle we have yet to understand.'
Our group is lucky to have seasoned members to remind us it isn't all about US :D
It's Nature doing what she has to do....

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT