• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

he finally went too far!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i think that the problem is in why people watch the shows. if you wanted to learn about the environment and animals natural behaviour, then watch something presented by David Attenborough. but people arent that interested in the natural behaviour, they are interested in the human/animal interaction. why else would they film someone getting into a pond with 200 wild alligators and film him swimming up to them. its not like he had a camera to film the elusive gator-flea than only occurs in the male alligators left armpit, requiring him to swim with them.:hmm its more like a circus. we have a facination with the ability to control wild animals.
so are the shows right or wrong? i think that the rising popularity of shows like this are a step in the wrong direction from and environmental point of view, unless your idea of the natural environment is domesticating all animals. in my opinion, you should only take what you need from the environment, but then my lifestyle, along with everyone else's here isnt sustainable, so what right do we have to draw lines?

True, but if you didn't wan't to learn about the environemnt you could still watch it anyway, and learn incidently. Say to a 10 year old kid, David Attenbrough would be boring, but someone like Steve would be able to entertain as well as inform.

But well said Griff, what right do we have to draw the line on what's acceptable environmentally and what's not.

Reactions: Griff
brady

I rather people show the humorous side of public perception than think the tiger or bull shark is a killing machine that will hunt them down and destroy them for food. This perception is wide spread and in my opinion much more detremental than someone risking their own hide just to get a laugh or do some serious research on missunderstood creatures. I am not necessarily talking just about the US but all countries were peoples fears can lead the to indiscriminantly kill as many creatures as they can find just because they think its then or the animal. I am not advocating any of these shows but i do feel they serve a pourpose even if it is to show that a shark can be worked up by bait and still be able to tell a human from food. You guys are entitled to your opinions but this is mine. Im sure these show are much more informative than something like jaws that has done nothing but harm wildlife and made people fearfull of the ocean and swimming pools since it was released.
just my 2 cents

Originally posted by Griff
its not like he had a camera to film the elusive gator-flea than only occurs in the male alligators left armpit, requiring him to swim with them.:hmm

Now that's just plain ole funny.......:D

Re: brady

Originally posted by Spearooo
I am not advocating any of these shows but i do feel they serve a pourpose

Maybe someone can go out to the reservation and poke and prod some Native Americans around. Anything to raise awareness of their mistreatment right? :hmm

Re: brady

Originally posted by Spearooo
i do feel they serve a pourpose even if it is to show that a shark can be worked up by bait and still be able to tell a human from food. Just my 2 cents

The kicker is that the shark did try to get at Steve-O...thats why Manny grabbed it and rode it away. The whole time he was on this thing it was trying to buck him off and kept lurching backwards trying to get a nibble. It looked like Manny wouldnt let go b/c the way he was on him the shark couldnt get to him...

I actually like Steve Erwin. I think he does much more good than harm. Like everyone else though...just my 2 cents;)

Originally posted by Cliff Etzel
Sven - You have such an eloquent way of stating the obvious...

Yeah, well thanks but that's why it's called obvious, Cliff. rofl

sven

Re: Re: brady

Originally posted by rigdvr
The whole time he was on this thing it was trying to buck him off and kept lurching backwards trying to get a nibble.

That's just Manny's idea of foreplay.... Unfortunatley they cut the next shot of Manny giving the poor thing a papsmere, all in the name of awareness of coarse.:duh

Reactions: Amphibious
I didnt see the guys riding the shark ,but I have to say that Steve Irwin doesnt seem to try and unneccessarily agravate any of the animals he is handling , he actually seems like too much of a tree hugger to me .
Although I think he is a bit too loud and likes to egsagerate a bit too much .
If you want to see more realistic Ausie adventure stuff try Malcolm Douglas.
I watched another nut today on dicovery an englishman playing with gators in Florida and swimming up to them in the swamp you wouldnt get too many blokes trying that with any salty crocs here in Australia - not twice anyway.

hi

Yeah too right about crocs, them Gators in the states must have a hella of a lot better attitude then the crocs here

cheers

Yeah too right about crocs, them Gators in the states must have a hella of a lot better attitude then the crocs here

- ivan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, theres a big difference between your crocs and ours......at least the freshwater ones, yours are twice as big and have a better capability to exert energy on a longer basis, plus ours crocs are endangered, we have plenty of alligators though, our salt crocs are nasty, just like yours, still a few cruising around south bay and the florida keys but under a 100 left. Do you guys have alligators or just crocs? - Jack

- Just checked my Control Panel and saw a bunch of karma I got from this thread....the negative ones are hilarious, I wish they would sign though so I could give pos. karma on the neg. karma for making me laugh. :t

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
hi

Nah we just have crocs LOTS of crocs. They are so far from being endangered its not funny I think they are a pest and would be quite happy if the government ever let us hunt them again to keep the population in check.

There are lots of mongrel crocs which come out of the rivers and move along the beaches and costal islands. I personally know a guy who got attacked by one whilst spearfishing at my favourite spot, he survived Just.

I saw a model of one which was shot by a lady a while back it was 26ft long but they said its not the biggest one that has been taken, shoulda seen the size of it, You and me both would fit in its mouth :D

cheers

Yeah, nothing that big in the states....a 15 footer here would be huge, they have a few bigger but they are all in captivity, you can hunt gators in florida, i think they have a lottery every year for a license.

Ivan
did that croc you saw look anything like this one from Normanton - see att.
Regards Peter
PS this is a fibreglass croc or my boy wouldnt be anywhere near it.:cool:

Resized your photo --> Willer

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PILOT
hi

Poacher the 26fter that I saw was at the old Hartleys creek crocodile farm. Which is a farm bout halfway between cairns and pt douglas. How long is that one.

cheers

Ivan
That croc in the pic is called Kris the Savana King it was .6m or 28 feet and 4 inches long shot in the Norman River at Normanton NW Queensland in 1958. if you put search - crocodile normanton in google search or other good search engine youll find it.
Regards Peter

Must have 1958 in the era of the Dinosaurs...

I think I'd prefer to meet up with a GW rather than that thing..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT