• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Leicester UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

John P

May 31, 2007
Hi.

I'm a new member of this forum (I've been on the BFA forum for a while) so just thought I'd introduce myself.

I Live in Leicester UK - about as far as you can get from the sea in the UK:waterwork

I've been into freediving for a few years but only started training properly last summer.

I've so far completed the AIDA** course and am hoping to do the *** soon.

If there's anyone in this area of the UK (midlands) who wants to do some training etc. let me know.

Cheers,

John :)

Hi John

I live just down the road in Grantham. I often go to Wales and Cornwall so I go right past Leicester. I am quite lucky because I have a company car so it doesn’t cost a penny to go anywhere.

If you have any plans to go anywhere let me know. If the weather is good I am always tempted to head off somewhere. I have a Zodiac boat so new crew are always welcome.

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply.

I'm diving with Saltfree for the weekend in a couple of weeks.

I'm also going to Wharam (I think that's how it's spelt) on 30th June for a week with my folks (who don't dive). Theres a few nice places to dive down there - you'd be welcome if you wanted to come.

You have a boat - Wow, I bet that's fun.

Likewise let me know if you're planning any trips - my email address is johnstuff@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,

John.

Hi John

Have fun at Salt Free and Wareham. Thanks for the invite to Wareham. If the weather is good I might pop down. I had a look at places to dive there a few years ago. Worbarrow bay looked good but I never actually went in, it’s quite a walk from the car park. Nb it’s on an army range so make sure that the tanks aren’t firing. There is also Kimmeridge bay and Lulworth Cove. I had a dip at Durdle Door.

I have been waiting for good weather to go down to Cornwall. This week could be the week. If the weather is good I will be there on Thursday morning to Sunday afternoon.

I was planning to stop at the Trevair campsite. (4 miles East of Penzance) and spend time at Prussia Cove. Ideal campsite because clean, inexpensive and he has Air, Nitrox and Trimix for scuba divers.

http://www.trevair.freeserve.co.uk/index.html

I would like to go to Kiberick cove again and dive from the shore. One idea for the future is to launch my boat from Carne Beach and go round Nare Head to Gull Rock. The Hera ran aground on Gull Rock and is 17 metres deep.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yeah I'll deffinately check out the Durdle Door area - That was awsome last year.

Let me know if you need (or have space for) an extra diver when you are going on a trip - I'm always up for some diving if I can get the time off work etc.

Cheers,

John.

Hi John and Pete. I just spotted this thread, I only dip in to deeperblue occasionally.
I live in Loughborough and am up for some training.
I "train" each Tuesday in Walsall with a buddy alongside a scuba club (so we can use fins and masks etc); also I train on a more ad hoc basis in the Loughborough Leisure Centre pool with another buddy, just during normal swimming sessions, so it can be a bit ineffective sometimes. I am a failed AIDA** (couldn't equalise head-down for the depth requirement due to sticky ear, what a shame, was fine head-up on free immersion!).

I've made quiet enquiries into lane hire and/or setting up a local club for more regular/formal training, so far I've not had much luck but if we can add you two into the mix maybe we can get somewhere?
(I am an utter punter in terms of "performance", seem to have hit a plateau, so new faces might be inspirational!)

Cheers
Kenny

Hi Kenny.

Incase you don't read this for a while I've sent you an email aswell.

Yeah I'm deffinatley up for some training. What time do you usually meet on tuesdays? - I'd love to come along.

Or let me know when you are next training in Loughborough.

Cheers,

John.

Last edited:
Good to see a group forming in that part of the country. Good luck. I know one lad who is part way through his training and one starting soon from that area, i will post you their details when they have finished.

I train a lot in North Wales and sometimes some shallow stuff in a quarry near Lancaster. I have a pool session in Manchester. If any of you want to come over and train with us just drop me a line.

I can also finish off your 2*, who was the course with?.

"I am a failed AIDA**"

You didn't fail the course just haven't passed it yet ;-), we all have sticky ear days :-(

Steve

You didn't fail the course just haven't passed it yet ;-), we all have sticky ear days :-(

Ha! Yes, sorry for putting a negative spin on things :)

Oh the course was with Linda and Lotta in Dahab, it was great apart from the sticky ear (and my bi-finning ineptitude). I even had a samba, for added value :)

Last edited:
Hi John P

It looks like there may be some good weather ahead so I might head off to Cornwall soon. I have sent a PM with contact details.

Pete

I am a failed AIDA** (couldn't equalise head-down for the depth requirement due to sticky ear, what a shame, was fine head-up on free immersion!).
I have also had a lot of trouble with equalisation. It does get a lot better with training, and learning the Frenzel method has been a breakthrough for me. I am more interested in free immersion than constant weight, but I haven't been able to get to anywhere with a rope yet, except the SETT last year.

Lucia

Hi All,
only just joined DeeperBlue and spotted this thread. I hope someone is still checking it! I moved to Leicester a couple of months ago and I too am looking for a place to train.

I have been free diving for a number of years (well... more of a vertical extension to snorkeling really!), but recently decided to take it a bit more seriously. I'm going through my 2* currently (completed the theory and pool parts and waiting for some warmer weather to do the practical) and would love to meet other free divers in the area.

Leo

Hi Leonardius,

I've sent you an email and a PM on veganfittness.net!

Hope to speak to you soon,

John.

Hi Guys,

I'm glad to see some fellows in the Leics area. I live in Hinckley and I'm booked in with deeperblue.net to do my */** at the end of May down at Vobster.

I can tell you what will happen afterwards - I'll be bang up for more and training with other knowledgeable people; so to find out about others in the area is great!

If you could include me in any further discussions for training over this summer I would appreciate it.

I did speak to a chap called Steve Millard, who's the head learning fella at the BFA, and he was up for approaching Stoney Cove about a couple of diving days, so it would be good if we could follow this up.

brynster

I have approached Dosthill and they seem keen, i will be travelling down there in the next month to sort it out. I was thinking of getting established there first

Steve

Hi Guys,

You can freedive in Dosthill - atleast Will and Kenny have been. We're looking to start going again when the weather's a tad warmer!

We (Kenny, Will and me) train at Walsall (Gala baths) on tuesday evenings from 7:30 to 8:30. If anyone wants to join us you'd be welcome!

We're also thinking of finding somewhere to train on thursdays if anyone knows anywhere?

My email is johnstuff@hotmai.co.uk

Cheers,

John.

Cheers John. They did say they had some freedivers in a couple of times.

I approached them about teaching there.

Maybe we could meet up when i come down that would be good.

What size pool do you have in Walsall??

Have you approached Stoney yet?

Speak soon

Steve

Hi Steve, It's a 33m pool 4.5m depth at the deep end.

I've not spoken to Stoney myself (not sure if the question was for me).

Give me a shout when you're down this way!

John.

John P - As per my previous post, I would greatly appreciate it if I could tag along for some training sessions at dosthill once i've completed the */** course in may. my e-mail is brynster@hotmail.co.uk ; what day/time do you go?

Steve (apena boy); unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to speak to my contact at Stoney as of yet.

I train in North Wales for depth once you have done everything in Dosthill or if you fancy a change. I believe its 25-26m is that right? Good facility though loads of fish. Once the season kicks in we can have a chat about meeting up.

Stoney is 36m ish if i remember rightly near the Hydrobox.

Steve

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT