• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Leicester UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Brynster -

Sure, your welcome to come with us. I've never actually been to Dosthill myself. We'd probably go on Sundays at a guess, depends on everyone else.

I'm quite felxible with my time so even if we can't all make it, I'd be happy to go long any weekend really - as soon as it's a bit warmer.

(and/or come and do some dynamic with us on tuesdays at Walsall.)

Cheers,

John.

Hi Brynster

As far as I know, freediving is banned at Stoney - and anyway its only 36m deep

If you'd like to come and play at Saltfree, you're more than welcome once you've done your course. Details are all on www.saltfreedivers.com

Sam

Its nice being wanted eh Brynster. lol

Just spoke to Stoney and your right Sam. It looks like at the moment they are not allowing it due to the fact they are so busy that they don't want to take on the extra group.

Shame, its a good site

Last edited:
Sam it would be a pleasure to come and play and then i'm sure i will be able to post comments like "it's only 36m deep"

Overall though, I'm really impressed by the level of interaction and support from all - while i'm really looking forward to the course, I was concerned about what would happen afterwards as i'm aware that it's only through training that you grind the basics out and as i've quickly gathered this is not the sport to do on your own.

So big thanks to all

John P, Leonardius, Steve,

I've been 24 hours passed my ** and keen as mustard to dive again!! So if there's any dosthill action can I tag along?

Bryn

Bryn, if you are free tomorrow you can tag along to Walsall for the 7.30 session. The pool is only 33m long and only 4.4m deep though :)

Many thanks - weekday evenings are somewhat of a struggle for me. Do you do any open water diving at weekends?

Brynster:

I've replied to your message.

I should be going to the next saltfree session (14/15 of june). We're also about to start going to Dosthill - probably Thursdays or Sundays.

My mobile no. is 07956038389 if anyone wants to get in touch.

Cheers for now.

If you guys are planning on coming to SaltFree - please sign up on our forum. At the moment only one person has their name down for that weekend, so I was about to cancel it. I'll give it a bit longer and see if anyone else wants to come

S

Hi guys,

Did you have any success in setting up freedive meets in the midlands at all? I live in Leicester and would be keen to buddy up regularly somewhere nearby if possible.

cheers
ryan

Hi Ryan,

That's awesome I live in Leicester too...yeah there's a few of us around here now.

I currently do pool training on a tuesday evening at Walsall - a bit of a treck TBH, if you wanna lift share there anytime you're welcome!

We often meet up at Dosthill quarry for some open water diving too!

Blue Straggler (Kenny) is trying to set up some more local pool training.

I'm also quite happy to just do no-fins training in local pools etc.

I don't know if anyone's diving this weekend...I'll prolly be going to walsall next tues if you wanna come along?

John

Last edited:
Excellent cheers for getting back to me John.

It's the open water diving I'm interested in though would be up for pool sessions now and again. So definitely up for Dosthill when you meet.

Regarding pool training, are any of you scuba divers as well? I'm a PADI dive master, but have been meaning to join BSAC for a while now, and my local club gets the reserved use of Aylestone Leisure Centre pool one evening a week. I've spoken to them and they told me theyre happy for me to freedive train in the pool if I'm a club member. Obviously this is no good to you if you arent into scuba, but otherwise it would be a way of getting a local pool pretty much to ourselves.

cheers
ryan

Excellent.

I will introduce you all to four guys who are diving at Dosthill soon too. They are not on DB yet.

They have a pool session. Nice little group starting around there now!

I have to send Kenny some NOP's and risk assessment stuff i'll do that tomorrow for the new pool.

Catch up soon guys.

BTW Ryan is a qualified 2* with Emma apparently so no issues there :)

Reactions: agbiv
I will introduce you all to four guys who are diving at Dosthill soon too. They are not on DB yet.

I beg your pardon? Both Kenny and I have been on here for yeeeears now!

Ryan, I'm based in (well, just outside) Leicester as well, and I dive at Dosthill with the guys. I'm up for some open water diving this weekend if anyone else is?

I am a qualified scuba diver as well, but haven't done much scuba in Britain; why bother with a padded dry suit in a cold, dark quarry when you can have a wetsuit?

John, Kenny, how are you fixed for this weekend?

Leo

Hi guys,

Ryan...interesting I used to do snorkel training at aylstone! It sounds like Kenny is able to organise a local pool though so we will be spoilt with that (fingers still crossed).

Leonard, I'd be well up for a session at Dosthill this weekend!

Last edited:
I beg your pardon? Both Kenny and I have been on here for yeeeears now!

Leonard, Steve meant the guys from the Derby area who just did their AIDA 2* with him - they are scoobies, one of them's an instructor, I think they discovered freediving whilst at Dorothea wondering why someone with no tanks just swam past them at about 40m :)
They have use of a pool that belongs to a school but it'll soon be closed for the holidays. It is 20m long and they get it on Friday nights. I haven't checked it out yet.

Yes that's right so your group just doubled in size :)

They are a good bunch and doing pretty well. Off to Capers tonight so ill get some e-mails done when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like there's a right few freedive freaks in the area after all!

I'm all up for Dosthill in future (cant do this weekend), but I've just realised I'll need to sort out a freedive wetsuit cos my 3mm wont cut it, nor will my drysuit for that matter(!) I was thinking of an Elios, but I hear the waiting time might drag. Any suggestions?

cheers
ryan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT