• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from the tiny red dot on the atlas!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

salibandy

The Mothership is coming!
Oct 31, 2007
Greetings everyone!! I'm Mark, coming from sunny Singapore, the island nation represented by a tiny red dot on the world atlas.

I'm an avid scuba diver, just a humble beginner with only 50 dives to his name. I aim to learn as much as I can about scuba and I get that chance right here in Singapore, being surrounded by many diving enthusiasts.

I'm also keen to learn about freediving; that's why I joined this forum. Freediving seems to require quite a bit of knowledge, so I have ordered a copy of the Manual of Freediving: Underwater on a single breath. Knowledgeble freediving friends in this forum, could you tell me if I've made a good first step into the sport?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome rslomkow. I will definately read the thread in detail soon enough.

Do you have a copy of the book?

I have [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Freediving-Underwater-Single-Breath/dp/1928649270/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2942923-3244723?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193848001&sr=8-1"]The Manual of Freediving[/ame] and enjoyed it, though I was already familiar with most of the contents from personal experience and having read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/FREEDIVE-David-Sipperly-Terry-Hardcover/dp/B000MBO5F8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2942923-3244723?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1193848007&sr=8-1"]Freedive![/ame] by Terry Maas. Pellizzari's book is much more geared for a systematic approach to training. He also has some nice yoga exercises stripped of their spiritual connotations.

One thing not covered in either of these books is a good explanation of the Frenzel ear clearing technique, which Eric Fattah (Member of this forum) has document very nicely here.

Freediving reminds me a bit of motorcycling: it is safe for people with self control, and can be very dangerous for those that lack it.

But I think low intensity Freediving (dive times under 1 minute, no penetration of wrecks or caves) is safer than motorcycling. I am sure someone will disagree with me on that. ;)

Try to find a buddy! That is the best thing to help you be safe and he/she can help you along.

Last edited:
Thank alot. I just found Eric's document moments before i read your reply.

It's hard to find a buddy in Singapore, but i've mailed a few people and am waiting for their response. Hopefully i can find a buddy, as I'm not going to risk training alone. It's too dangerous yeah?

Actually, freediving is like everything else. Not just motorcycling. Think about it. The only danger you have to worry about is yourself. More likely than not, if you end up in trouble, you've either done something wrong or pushed too hard or something.

Hey Singapore! I have family moving out there soon and hope to me making a couple of trips over there each year to see them, you're my new man to know :friday

hey salibandy, do you ever come to Dubai? We're the red dot on the Middle Eastern horn. :) Welcome to Deeperblue. :)

Hey Singapore! I have family moving out there soon and hope to me making a couple of trips over there each year to see them, you're my new man to know :friday

Hi there Pastor!!

I'm just a beginner man. Haha. But trust that I will train hard. When is your family coming over? Where are you from?

Hey your sig is of a speargun. Maybe when you come over you can teach me. I'm very interested in spearfishing.

Mark

Last edited:
hey salibandy, do you ever come to Dubai? We're the red dot on the Middle Eastern horn. :) Welcome to Deeperblue. :)

Hey there island_sands,

No i can't say I've been to Dubai. But from what i hear from my sister (she's been there), it's a very beautiful place with beautiful people. I really wish to go there some day. I hear Dubai has an indoor ski slope? How cool is that?

Mark

Not sure yet Mark, they are moving out there in the new year to look after some night clubs. I would imagine our first trip would be in the summer, July/August but I am hoping to be there for the Grand Prix too so it's a case of we'll see. More than willing to hook up mate :)

Ah. Nightclubs *eyes glistens* Interesting.

Hey, if your family needs some help (issues with passport, sight-seeing information or whatever), just tell me and I'll see what I can do.

When the Grand Prix comes, I'll definately camp at home. I don't like loud noises and crowds. Or maybe I'll rent a room located way up high in a hotel and use binoculars. That way, I can paint a big-ass banner that screams 'Go Kimi!'.

Yeah, the Cannery group part of Lifebrandz, do you know them? They run the Ministry of sound and some others.

He thinks his apartment looks over the track so if it is I'll be well chuffed :)

Last edited:
Woah. I don't know Cannery or Lifebrandz, but i definately know MOS.

What exactly do you mean family? As in, how are you related?

If his apartment looks over the track you will be well chuffed indeed.

Hey there island_sands,

No i can't say I've been to Dubai. But from what i hear from my sister (she's been there), it's a very beautiful place with beautiful people. I really wish to go there some day. I hear Dubai has an indoor ski slope? How cool is that?

Mark

yes it does, with real snow! rofl quite bizarre, seems as though we are surrounded by desert :)

Awesome. I saw a programme about it on the Discovery channel, and it is amazing.

How's the diving/spearfishing over there?

Awesome. I saw a programme about it on the Discovery channel, and it is amazing.

How's the diving/spearfishing over there?

quite good, there are a couple of threads about spearfishing in musandam and uae from Nesim, with pics over the threads. Those guys have had some interesting catches.

Woah. I don't know Cannery or Lifebrandz, but i definately know MOS.

What exactly do you mean family? As in, how are you related?

If his apartment looks over the track you will be well chuffed indeed.
That would be my wifes son, he is taking over as vice president of Lifebrandz but looking after the Cannery on Clarke Quay, I think this must be where MoS is?

So that makes him your son, but the way you put it, step-son? Sorry for asking such a personal question.

Vice-president eh? Wow, he must be a smart person. You must be proud.

No her son not mine, "we" don't have any kids. Yes for someone so young he has done remarkably well for himself, my missus is proud for sure.

So where do you go diving in Singapore? It looks like it's all city and docks, do you have to travel far?

Yea. It's an urban jugle, as the ministers like to call it. The water's horrible, in that visibility is 2m, max? It's because of all the reclaimation work that has/had/will be going on.

To go diving we will travel to Malaysia, which is up north. From there we'll board a boat to one of the islands off the coast to dive, where the water is much clearer, about 20m+.

I'm thinking of Riffe (its the only retailer for speargun here) for a speargun choice. What do you recommend?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT