• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from the tiny red dot on the atlas!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
To be honest I don't know that much about Riffe guns in general, it would be a good question to ask in the hunting section. Mention visibility and fish size etc I would imagine something around the 55" mark would be ideal but the only Riffe I know anything about at that length is the No Ka Oi which has a tendency to shoot low

Alrighty thanks.

When you're coming over just drop an email yea? I'd be happy to meet up and have a drink.

Hi!

I'm from the tiny red dot nation too! Just getting back into freediving after a year's break and looking for training buddies. Hope to get in touch!

Well the family have been over today and are moving out to Singapore in March. So I will definitely be over there later this year. So what's the deal with spearing there? The water would be pretty dead I imagine and trips would be needed yes? Where's the places areas to go?

The water in Singapore is not good for diving although some desperate people (including myself during the Malaysian monsoon seasons) do try. The easiest trips to do are to the Malaysian east coast islands for good water and good marine life. There's a chain of islands there generally known as the Tioman islands and it includes Aur, Dayang etc. The trips are over the weekends, leave on Fridays evenings and back on Sunday. For avid divers who have decent day jobs etc, this is the best option because we don't have to take leave from work. Conditions there depend on the time of the year you go. Oct-Feb is monsoon season. The best time of the year will be right after the monsoon and right before. A couple of times in March, I've seen big pelagics. Besides the Tioman islands, there are liveaboards that go a bit further to wrecks and rigs etc. Some require a few more days than just the weekend but those are great. I don't spear but have seen people do so on a few occasions. Generally great viz there for spearing. What fish do you spear usually? I think the locals mainly go for the parrotfish, groupers, occasionally jacks and trevallies.

Would love to meet you when you're in Singapore. Is your stepson a diver / freediver too?

Reactions: Pastor
Lifebrandz is the company that owns quite a number of club/pubs at the cannery! Fashion bar, MOS, etcetc, and most recently Lunar!! Welcome to Singapore in advance! Do swing by and teach us some spearfishing!

Cheers!

Reactions: Pastor
Well I wouldn't hold your breath, it looks like being next March now before we get over which seems a hell of a long time away :( On the bright side it does give me time to make up a couple of guns to take out with me and leave there for what will be more regular trips :)
Anyway we will all certainly have to meet up and try to take advantage of the fact that we might get a free night out ;)

2009 March? Wow!! That really is quite a long while! No worries, just declare your arrival and the small number of freedivers here will definitely be keen to meet up, yes? Haha! Night out definitely sounds good!

Cheers!

Hey Petrified,

Where in SG do you currently train at? Read somewhere too that you got a pair of Cressi fins. You got them online? I'm looking to buy a pair of freediving fins too but not sure where to start.

Pastor,
2009 March is a long time away. Would be great if you can pop into Singapore earlier! And a nite out definitely!

There are very very few shops that stock freedive fins in Singapore! The only 2 shops i know are Koni investment @ Pandan loop that stocks tigullio's and www.sportsunlimited.com that has an old old stock of Cressi Gara 2000HF's if i am not wrong. Email me or contact me on MSN and i will try to help out to the best of my ability! =)

I'm sure Pastor is coming to Singapore this March! Which is really soon, and just in time for the opening of dive season which is around March/April?

Careful with those guns! Guns and Planes don't go well together! Haha

Cheers!

youre full of surprizes arent you pastor, MOS have played in Egypt several times, good parties..
Singapore eh..looks like a good setup there, but if the viz isnt too good, then im thinking short guns

Hey! Since starting my hunt for fellow freedivers in Singapore, I've uncovered about 5 of us now. We're thinking of organizing a drinks session to get to know one another and hopefully start training together. You guys up for it? (Salibandy, I don't have your email. If you don't mind, can you give me your email so I can send out a note to organize this?)

Petrified, thanks for your help! I've got tiny feet (even for a girl) so finding fins that fit is a problem. I've tried a pair of Cressi at this shop in Adelphi but was too big. Do these places you know stock small sizes? I wear XS Plana Avanti scuba fins, or XS Mares booties...

Pastor,
If you're planning to spear in Singapre, a dagger will do coz you won't be able to see a target beyond your arm. Haha! Seriously, come to Singapore but hope over to Malaysia for spearing. :)

Spearing in Malaysian waters is illegal, technically. We all know what happens with some $$. Koni does not stock fins, only masks.

Adelene, I wear a 38/40. If you want, you can try my fins. Petrified aka Jimmy, I've answered your pm. I am game for a meet and greet, I'll leave it up to you guys to plan and I'll just show me face.

Pastor my friend, in Singapore, one must know people who know people who know where to go to spear. A normal band gun is too long for the viz in the local waters. You won't be able to see the end of your gun at all. A pneunatic gun is advisable, being shorter. As other's have said, the surrounding archipelago is more productive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT