• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help me design my bag...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Memo,
If it hasn't been suggested so far, straps to carry it like a backpack would make lugging it alot easier. I bought a Cressi Team bag and found it very uncomfortable to carry with one hand at the side.

Great opportunity!

Good luck,
Tad

yes! its a good idea :D I'll talk with the manufacturer about the double strap to carry it like a back bag. at least it will have a single, comfortable, strong shoulder strap.

Bit late, but if you are thinking of making some carrying starps for your bag, you should consider the structure of your bag.. I mean it is quite a different thing to carry a sack with straps and a packbag. you should propably leave little tubes in the very bottom of your bag for "frame" that would keep your bag in shape if you carry it on your back.. such structure would also give extra protection to the fins and your gear if you ever fly with your bag.. .. I try to get you a scetch of what I mean.. I gotta go now.. later..
Pekka

Ok here I am back thinking about the bag.. hmm about the structural support from frames, it not only keeps the bag in shape it also makes it much better to carry... I'll post a picture of an bag that has VERY extensive aluminum frame, I have tried it with heavu load and still beauty to carry and now that I think of it the hip-strap is the key for distributing the weight of your gear when wet and all the lead...

So think about it.. perhaps worth adding to your bag. ?

This picture is of Savotta 906.

Attachments

• 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 195
I dunno about the manufacturers capability Pekka, I'll ask them about some frame but pretty sure that they couldnt manage it :(

My hiking pack has an internal frame.. just pulled it out and its made from thin plastic.. almost like tuppaware sort of stuff.. if you wanted a frame or structure to your bag, im sure the manufacturers could sew in the 'pockets/sleeves' and you slide in some plastic (maybe small diameter water pipe?) or wire if you wanted (old tent poles?) but if your carrying it like a backpack model it on a backpack as the part that would rest against you should be shaped to you slightly especially when carrying that weight a hip strap is also advised and possibly even a chest strap. The weight likely to be contained is... 8/9 kgs of lead maybe 5kgs suit (especially if wet) another couplekg's of accessories.. and if you carried spare lead!! could be a heafty thing... if you were goping the backpack route id be more tempted to modify an existing backpack than start from scratch. I like the original holdall idea better, although its not as good for walking distnces with... all depends on where you dive an how you get there i assume.
Joe

I used to pack all my stuff into my backpack, it was around 12-15gk, not including anything extra. The thing was heavy as hell especially as I had to walk about 3miles to get to the bloody beach for some diving.. I strongly suggest GOOD straps and hipstrap.. and as Joe said you dont need to ask your manufacturer to supply the frame, but just make spaces for them, with velcrostraps so you can put them in easily and take out if needed..

I think ultimate bag would have good wheels or something, I got so sick of carrying my bag everyday... after days diving I certainly didnt feel like carrying my bag back home...

Pekka

In my case, I want a tidy and well organized case to put all my equipment in, transport with car, put into the boat :D so no more hiking with this bag.

Bag will have 90% a single, reinforced, wide, comfortable shoulder strap and ofcourse two handles. The extra weight section will have its bottom reinforcement (I'll make them from plexiglass and put into the pockets later).

by the way, I've just met a gun case manufacturer for our next "help me design my gun case" project :D

funny to come across this thread, as tommorrow i will start the first stages of my gun & gear case. however, i am planning on making mine out of fiberglass composite to hold: 55" gun, fins, belt, weights, mask, knife, etc. basically everything but a wetsuit, but i may add that later if the mold allows. basically i am looking for something relatively lightweight, inexpensive, and that will pass any airline baggage requirement so i dont have to pay extra. i know in hawaii 6 feet is the maximum bag length, weighing about 70lbs, so i have to fit it under that. hopefully it was not look to ugly, as fiberglass tends to be kind of diffcult to make it look "professional".

funny to come across this thread, as tommorrow i will start the first stages of my gun & gear case. however, i am planning on making mine out of fiberglass composite to hold: 55" gun, fins, belt, weights, mask, knife, etc. basically everything but a wetsuit, but i may add that later if the mold allows. basically i am looking for something relatively lightweight, inexpensive, and that will pass any airline baggage requirement so i dont have to pay extra. i know in hawaii 6 feet is the maximum bag length, weighing about 70lbs, so i have to fit it under that. hopefully it was not look to ugly, as fiberglass tends to be kind of diffcult to make it look "professional".

Indole,
A fiberglass case sounds cool if it can handle the abuse from baggage handlers and as long as it doesn't weigh too much. The weight limit on local flights now is 50 pounds, not 70 like before. I have a duffle bag and when I load my belt, fins, riffe float, knife, wetsuit, fins, socks, gloves, kui, floatline and some clothes, I'm close to the 50 pound weight limit. So, make sure your case is not too heavy. Try weighing your gear first so that you know the max allowable weight of your case. Keep us updated.

Just a quick note first to ask how your case is coming along memo? and second indole you mentioned that fiberglass is hard to get a proffesional finish on, if you take your time smoothing the edges and apply first a thin 'skim' coat of car filler then sand that and apply a coat of filling primer and sand that (may need more than one coat depending how rough the mould is) its quite possible to get a smooth polished finish and you can spray it any colour you fancy... Im planning on using this method for my gun case and maybe my fins too. Good luck.
Joe

I've made some paper sketches to show the manufacturers but suddenly I remembered that I had some final exams :D . So as every university student I quit my hobies up to the 21st of this month :(

As soon as the process ends I will take the pictures immediately and post them here..

Glad to hear your putting your exams first... something i never did and.. well enough said! Good luck in your exams and hope all works out well!
Joe

I have been reading this thread and have been quite inpressed with the ideas and everyone pitching in to help. So here goes....

If were making a bag to carry all my gear (and perhaps plus some).....I'd like to go with the long thin idea...ie perhaps 5ft by 1ft....put the fins in the middle end to end using the length of the bag, suit on one side and various pockets on teh other side...also with the posibility of adding a zip off addition to add gun/spear tubes or straps and a long shoulder strap. a large zip would cover the suit and fins so when opened, the fins and suit are exposed in one go. and a series of large pockets for spares, padded pocket for mask, weights etc and a very sturdy bottom, so it doesn't scrutch up in the middle easy.....I reckon that would be a lot easier to carry and the option of adding guns and/or spears to the deal.......

my Aus$0.02 worth

Oz

The dimensions will be more or less 95cm long, 30cm height, and about 60cm width.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT