• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help on holding breath

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi, Just on a point above about blacking out in a dry situation which is usually done lying down as was said if you do your body wil resume breathing but is there a possiblity of swallowing your toungue ?
I seem to remember it from somewhere but that it was pretty unlikely unless you were particularly prone to it.

Good question, fcallagy.

Could somebody whos ready to help me, make me some CO2 and O2 tables? I'm not sure if I adjust them right. My maximum breath hold thus far is 2:15.

And how often should I do exercises with the tables, if I want to make progress fast? I read one guy was doing it four times a day.

:)

Mr_[LEFT said:
Miyagi[/left]]Good question,
fcallagy.

Could somebody whos ready to help me, make me some CO2 and O2 tables? I'm not sure if I adjust them right. My maximum breath hold thus far is 2:15.

And how often should I do exercises with the tables, if I want to make progress fast? I read one guy was doing it four times a day.

:)

I believe you take your PB (Personal Best) time and take %50 away from it. So your PB is 2:15... so your holds should be around 1:08 seconds. As far as waiting periods I would take it easy. This is where I am unsure of.

As far as times to do it. I wouldn't do it 4 times a day. Each time you do it you do a lot of attempts.

This is an example that may be what your looking for:

Hold for 1:08 seconds.
Breath for about 1:00 then
Hold again for 1:08.
Stop and breath for 1:00.

You do this many times. What you are essentially doing is doing breath holds with C02 still in your system. This will help you build your tolerance towards C02.

From the tables that I have seen people do 7-10 holds in big block of time. If I remember correctly that person that did 4 of these a day had problems with them turning pale white. I believe that is over stressing or doing too much for one day.

I don't mean to take over your thread here but I have a question about the tables. Say if you were to train c02 tolerance for a week how long would you have that tolerance for? I know this is a pretty hard question to answer specifically but does this stay with you for a long time? (I am just trying to figure out when to start training because it is in the off season for me :()

Hi Morg & Mr Miyagi
What was said is true I dont think anyone else does 4 tables a day and nearly all would advise aginest it. I think 2 or 3 times a week is ampleCheck out Ahraon and Mt Solomans tips/ rules re training on statics. Do maximums infrequently and dont repeat one table after the other. also you need to allow your body to adapt to what your doing. As for how long the effects stay with you i.m not sure i hadnt tried a pb or tables in a few months and my pb was 3.45 last night eveb though i had eaten i said i,d do a few and struggeld to get past 2.17. I think a certain amount will always be with you as mentally you know you have done x or y so you know its achievable. But different days due to stress etc not fasting or not relaxed will give diferent results. Most tables have a rest period of 2 min in between holds starting on 1 min would be pretty hard

Last edited:
fcallagy said:
Hi Morg & Mr Miyagi
What was said is true I dont think anyone else does 4 tables a day and nearly all would advise aginest it. I think 2 or 3 times a week is ampleCheck out Ahraon and Mt Solomans tips/ rules re training on statics. Do maximums infrequently and dont repeat one table after the other. also you need to allow your body to adapt to what your doing. As for how long the effects stay with you i.m not sure i hadnt tried a pb or tables in a few months and my pb was 3.45 last night eveb though i had eaten i said i,d do a few and struggeld to get past 2.17. I think a certain amount will always be with you as mentally you know you have done x or y so you know its achievable. But different days due to stress etc not fasting or not relaxed will give diferent results. Most tables have a rest period of 2 min in between holds starting on 1 min would be pretty hard

I got confused here because isn't the normal time to rest that amount of time? Like he is holding his breath for roughly 1:00 and then resting for 2:00? To me that sounds normal. Wouldn't he shoot for something lower then 2 minutes because he wants C02 in his system before he makes another hold?

Because I did my PB doing this method and my PB is also 3:45. That hold was on my third attempt and I had done the 2x my hold rest (2 Minute hold = 4 Minute rest).

I was trying to achive my personal best but if what you say is correct then I was training c02 tolerance as well. This might make sense because I am having little difficultly reaching that point again without practise. (Its only been a few weeks since I stoped training so hard).

In the "New Freediver in Training" I posted phase I (week 1) Tolerance tables, FYI. The proper use of Tolerance tables is as follows: Do no more than one phase per week. If you can't complete either table, continue at that level every week (I go one level back - reduce the starting point by 15secs) until you can complete it. So, on day 1 do your 02 table, on day 3 do your C02 table. The next week do the next phase.

You won't see any improvement by doing it more often or by doing multiple tables in a day or week.
If you are simply diligent and do these tables as I suggest, you will be doing the single most effective exercise to increase your dive durations and your comfort levels.

And the tables become longer over time, for example: by the time you reach level ten you will be doing the last two breath-holds of your 02 table at 4:45 secs with 2min between...... try that now if you want to see what diligent tolerance table practice has to offer compared to where you are as a beginner.

Also, as you move up into phase 12 and up, the ventilation durations decrease to one minute instead of two (for the 02 tables).

When I was starting out I concentrated on running, swimming and heavy punching bag practice to build cardio/pulmonary health and made certain that I did my weekly tolerance tables. The result was that I increased my durations and comfort level well over 100%......

Last edited:
Thanks lungfish. Do you think I should do exactly the tables you posted? I can easily do the CO2 table, but I don't think I can hold my breath for 2:30 yet (the last one in the Phase 1 O2 table, you posted). So should I do your tables until I complete them, or make my own ones (in which I'm not sure about the resting times)? Just curious, since in the "How to begin freediving" topic they say you should do your own table with 50% of your PB etc...

sure Mr. M,

You can start them with 15sec shorter duration (phase I would become phase 2). Once you can complete the first level, you will start to notice a distinct difference in the sensation of breath holds. After you get through Phase 4 or so it will be quite noticeable and the whole sensation of the exercise changes.

Just don't overwork yourself. The muscles involved in breathing are no different than the rest of the muscles in your body. If you over-work them, they don't perform well. So only do your tables once a week, 02 on one day and C02 on an alternate day and concentrate on your overall health level and diving technique.

People talk alot about PB and getting to a very long static duration. I think it is better, and less of a psych-out, to concentrate on simply completing the tolerance tables every week and only occasionally testing your personal best after some preparation time of weeks or months. If you do it too often it stops being motivating....

chris14 said:
I am very new to freediving and I was wondering how I could hold my breath long. Right now i can hold my breath around 1:10 and I want to be able to hold my breath to at least 3:00. Also when I take I ventilate and lake a breath i fill dizy and my vission blurs but after a few seconds everything goes back to normal. I was wondering if that was bad or if its normal.

chris
Remember that it is not the lung or lung capacity breathholding..it is just the brain holding it ..i suggest you try to search and learn good breathing technics and my 2 cent: breathing very very slow deep but normal while closing your eyes decrease the heartbeat ratio(3min) before dry hold at home and try not thinking anything and never think holding your breath,too.. it helps you :D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT