• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch 214m News from Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MIG

Mar 11, 2005
So here we are on the beautiful island of Spetses, 2 hours out from the Port of Piraeus. I arrived on the flying dolphin with my family two days ago and we have spent the time taking in the wonderful views in the glorious sunshine and enjoying the lovely food. We soon found the best way to get around was by quad-bike.
freya.jpg

Herbert however, arrived from Athens yesterday on a rubber dinghy, as the service RIB needed to be brought across it made sense (at the time) to come across in it!!
He has spent the last week constructing his new sled and counter weight...."CH" with Alex, Karsten and Alex.

The event’s sponsor Alki David extended his generous hospitality to freediving champion Herbert by providing accommodation in his beautiful home. (Filmon)

The final parts of "CH" were being constructed today… well they were until somebody mentioned spearfishing for dinner.

The No Limits World Record team consists of:
• Herbert – Diver
• Me (Marcus) - Coach
• Alex - Freediving Safety Co-coordinator
• Alex – Technical Designer
• Karston - SCUBA Co-coordinator
• Andy – Herbert’s P.A
• Arnaud – Operations Manager

Tomorrow, once it’s finished we will test dive the “CH” to try out Alex’s new innovation. I have attached a picture of the new black “CH”. (Trygons)

The next few days will be crucial to ensure the world record goes smoothly, but the weather is great and the forecast is excellent.

MIG

ch.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BatRay and fcallagy
Nice, I love these online reporting journals of freediving events in progress, especially when they're completed with good pictures and video's!
I hope everything goes according to plan!

Good luck,

Kars

Thanks for the update Mig. It is great to be kept up to date with your dive. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck Herbert, and good luck to the rest of the team as well.

Donna

I'll be heading down to Spetses on Saturday with Fred Buyle for a couple of days and then will be back towards the end of the event to see the "Dive". By this weekend the judges should be there and there is probably going to be some serious diving.
I'll post on whatever is happening.
See you there Markus

Cheers Stavros

This is exciting. Really big (in our little world). This deserves lot more attention than certain glassballs. Interesting to see Alki David involved again, nice.

Good film - (Dan Burton saves Fred Buyles life, basicly).

Sebastian
Good luck in Greece - but dont rely on it ;-)

Gotta sign up for this thread to get all the updates! please keep up posted

serge

Training went well yesterday although the new “CH” is still not operational so we had to rely on the old system. The local engineers are working in conjunction with Alex S to get the full system working. Alex S (the inventor and conceptual maestro), is now developing the braking system from deep tests with the 1st ”CH”. The “FP”, (which is designed to push Herbert into the shoulder straps on the assent), is also being modified to allow expansion of his torso during Packing.

Although Training in Athens went exceptionally well, and herbert is going deep everyday, it will be a big relief when we dive with the new system in its entirety. Trygons have supplied all the mechanical parts as well as the suits for the dives and we can’t thank them enough.

We have some problems getting some things on the island, for instance we can only get hold of 1 Gay Light (a pink 2W LED light capable of descending to the required 200+ m).

We also require redundant O2 kits in addition to the 3 we already have been using. The Kits we have at the moment are: - Decompression (at depth, 5-9m depending on the dive profile and O2 quality), Surface Deco and 1st Aid. For the record FilmOn and Bios have generously allowed us to have exclusive use of their Deco Chamber in the case of emergency, which just happens to be on site.

Weather was not good this morning and we (well I) are glad we could not get go out… Bluugghhh big swell!). Thankfully the rain has stopped and its 1 hour till the boat officially leaves… I best start getting my kit together….

P.s. Fluid goggles… we are trying out the “New” set today... again developed by Alex S at Trygons, these babies are gonna rock………
If they work….
And stay on….
And don’t get lost like the last pair... :eek:

P.p.s the team so far

Herbert Nitsch– Athlete
Marcus Greatwood (Me) - Coach, Spare Rope Coordinator,
Alex Sarasitis – Technical Designer, Inventor, Conceptual Maestro
• Karsten Schneider- SCUBA Coordinator, Advanced Gas Blender, Master
Helium Mixer
• Alex Tzanerakis- Freediving Safety Coordinator, Abrasion Manager,
• Andy Laurie (on his way)– Herbert’s P.A, G.D (General Dogsbody).
Arnaud Palu (on his way) – Operations Manager, Chief Panicker

Last edited:
Excellent stuff Marcus, keep the updates coming!

Please include a list for us of all the things Andy has to do as chief PA/DB - make tea, wash and dry wetsuits, coil rope and the like. And what does an Abrasion Manager entail?

I can't wait to see the proper CH in action - the photo looked a bit more stealth than I was imagining. What dates are we likely to see some attempts?

Best of luck Herbert and team!

Cheers,
Ben

ok we need one of our greek members to be the "online reporter" for the dive... my fingers still hurt from the last wroldcup in Egypt :)
any takers?

Hiya All,
the problems with online reporting from Greece are:
1. None of the Greek GD members are in Spetses at the moment.
2. The people (the two Alexes) in Spetses are way too busy and its quite hard do get info from them
3. I will not be going down to Spetses this weekend (when the actual dives are supposed to be taking place) as I need some training and rest (don't forget we have Maribor WCh coming up) + we 've arranged to do some UW fliming ...

The good bit is that Fred Buyle is arriving on Saturday and going directly to Spetses so he will most likely be giving me some inside info on whats going on down there.
If everything goes according to plan I will be going down for the end of the records attempts next weekend - so I 'll be able to keep you posted on the grand finalle...

Cheers Stavros

Alki:

"The whole point of this is a message.

Any one got an idea what that might be?"

- People can dive beyond 200m on one breath safely?

Thank you Alki for supporting our passion,
Love Peace and water,

Kars

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT