• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch 214m News from Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The dive is a symbol to an even greater cause.
The cause/message must be then Cocal Cola! Drink more Coca Cola and you'll dive like Herbert!

Just kidding, now seriously: Thanks, Alki, for making this possible (both the records and the live feed!)
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Thanks Alki for making this event possible. Herbert is absolutely the best person for this task, in my opinion. I have complete confidence in the success of this event, this year and next year.

Herbert's homemade pipe mask recieved a fair bit of attention in these threads...

I reckon it looks funny, but would like one myself for no fins diving!

However Marcus tells us that he will be using fluid goggles.

I thought the pipe mask may have been a central element considering the static deco stop he plans to make.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Personally from having no experience whatsoever at depth I can't see the rationale behind using goggles anyway because he is on a sled and should know by feel alone where every thing is? With the pipe mask Herbert will need to use air to compensate against mask sqeeze but with the fluid googles it will be a different experience completely. In any case what does he need to look at and see with clarity? Watches, depth gauges?
Excuse my ignorance but why would mask type affect his deco stops?

I would argue that one of the main reasons that Loic Leferme died during his 171m no-limits dive was because he could not see what was happening (no fluid goggles).

Clearly his sled struck something underwater, but, being unable to see anything, Loic could not have known what was happening, or how to best escape the situation. Similarly, Audrey Mestre chose not to use fluid goggles on her fatal 171m dive (although she would often use them in the warm up). She could not see Pascal Bernabe, and thus had no way of communicating with him in terms of what to do next.

I think it is 100% essential that Herbert have good vision underwater.

Reactions: shoutatthesky
Thanks Eric

From that point of view eyewear seems to be essential in this type of diving. Thanks for clearing that up.

AAAGGGHHHH technical problems with the sled…. Oh well we went out into the gorgeous blue again, a quick dip to -100m holding a weight (just to stay fresh!)
The “NEW EQEX” is in full action (Thanx Palmolive ) This has now been modified for inverted use (head down) and “Hands Free” use, from now on it will referred to as HF.EQEX

We were ironing out lanyard problems for Variable weight. Well put it another way we tried a lanyard, it wasn’t good so we are going to have to change it today!! (Research and development!)

We also tried out another retrieval system, which we may use as a backup and will defiantly working on it for future (maybe a lift method for No Limits… more info to follow after todays escapades!)

2 dives planned today;
AM. Variable to 120-130 trying out lanyards and HF.EQEX ….
PM. Safety mechanisms testing with the sled.

alext+dryCH.jpg

The No Limits World Record team consists of:
• Herbert Nitsch– Athlete, HF.EQEX development
• Marcus Greatwood (Me) - Coach, Spare Rope Coordinator, Parts Scavenger
• Alex Sarasitis – Technical Designer, Inventor, Conceptual Maestro, inventor
• Karsten Schneider- SCUBA Coordinator, Advanced gas blender, Master
Helium Mixer, Pilot (Alt 0),
• Alex Tzanerakis- Freediving Safety Coordinator (dry), Abrasion Manager, Official portrait Photographer
• Andy Laurie – Herbert’s P.A, G.D (General Dogsbody), Freediving Safety Coordinator (wet)
• Arnaud Palu – Operations Manager, Chief Panicker

Last edited:
Oh and by the way check out Karsten.... more to follow

karsten+herbertsml.jpg

Last edited:
sorry but, what is that thing is his head for?
And thank you very much for keeping us updated!!
Go Herbert !!!

Last edited:
I think he'll be standing on a weight, sitting on a saddle with this float above his head instead of an inflateble baloon. Upon reachin then end of the rope the weight will remain at the bottom and the sled and Herbert will accelerate, rocket to the surface thanks to the aquadynamic float quicker and safer.

yeah but what's all this about "inverted eqex" - or is that for other disciplines?

As I'm following this event with great interest, I try to keep up with all the info and write about it on my site. I even made a special category to keep track on what's happening over there. You can visit it here: Herbert Nitsch « Shark Freediving

I just wrote a very lengthy article about the safety concerning this event that may be of interest to some of you. If you have any comments put them down over there.

Anyway good luck to Herbert! I think he really can do it.

And I replied to the comment ;) There not personal best but pre-requisites before the attempt. But you already know by now ;) Skype is sometimes very useful...

Sitting here waiting for the guys to return from (yet another) Technical training session with CH, I feel the necessity to clear-up a few points.

The HF.EqEx is an innovation on the bladder idea behind the EqEx. The balloon that Herbert filled gave too much resistance so a bottle is now being used, this can be held in place using a line to the sled (or weight)… Thus “Hands free”.
They are holes in the bottom of the bottle (to allow water in and compress the air) and a tube to go into the mouth.

The joy of this system is that it can be employed in the head down position (with a slight bend in the tube), as well as head up.

For all you budding sled divers we have found that a Palmolive Washing up bottle works best.
Unfortunately all photos are being treated as “sensitive” incase someone uses the idea to beat Herbert to -214m.

The CH is a non-compressible foam buoyancy device. Herbert will need a lot of weight to take it down but releasing the weight gives instant lift, and no valves to fail.

Indeed the lovely piece on Shark Freediving gives a lot more details…

:)
MIG

p.s. Just for the record; Herbert easily equalised down to -122m head down, just holding a few SCUBA weights in his hand whilst testing the HF.EqEx.

Last edited:
Somehow the HF.EqEx just doesn't seem right. I realise it is allowed, but for me using an external device to equalise seems like cheating. Then I guess he is using a highly technical sled, safety divers, boats, etc. So what does it matter.:confused:

A proper mouthfill technique can allow a diver to reach 250m without the EQEX....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT