• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch : a -328m no limit dive ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

OceanMan

Feb 22, 2005
Hello all,

Herbert Nitsch's website has a brand new look http://www.herbertnitsch.com/ !!

And a brand new challenge (according to the website) !!!

Herbert wants to perform a no limit dive to 328m (1000ft) in summer 2008.
A training dive to 216m is planed in 2007.

.... is it serious or what?? .....

... I know nothing is impossible but ... -328m !!!

Oh what the hell, maybe. After all, Herbert is one hell of a terminator rofl rofl

Go Herbert go !!

Last edited:
In Egypt he did mention that he was going to do something "big"...

If anyone deserves to get it, it's Herbert. He's the hardest working freediver i've ever seen.

Cheers,
Ben

I think he's really serious about that.

I wish him luck on that incredible journey

Lets say the sled is going at 2m/s on the way down and up (he averaged 1,5 down and 2,5 up on the last record dive - if I remember correctly) he is looking at around a 5:30 dive time... and around 3:50 will be bellow 100m.

This sounds tricky - a 3m/sec or faster sled might be required allowing that he can equalise that fast...

But - I am sure it will be a hell of a ride.

Cheers Stavros

Herbert told me about this project when I talked to him at DEMA. It isn't a joke. Herbert said that no-limits, from an athletic perspective, is almost impossibly easy, compared to constant weight, no-fins, variable, etc...

He said that diving to 200m, it didn't even feel like a 2 minute static. He said he would retire from records once he reached 1,000 feet.

Eric, what is your secret to know always a bit more than everybody else about great freedivers? Do you use some kind of truth serum to make them talk? rofl

He said that diving to 200m, it didn't even feel like a 2 minute static. He said he would retire from records once he reached 1,000 feet.
This is kind of a goal of a freediver's life then. Impressive.
I agree it is (kind of) easy regarding to the apnea, but regarding to narcosis and DCS, it must be tricky.
He should build an automatic sled because at 328m the narcosis would be so strong that I doubt that anyone could trigger an air tank properly to fill the air balloons.

Hi All

I work in the media, and have said in a thread before that even though CW, Free Immersion etc, are the disciplines that are 'pure' and the true test of the modern freediver, it is always No -Limits which will get the media's attention. To them, it's about 'The deepest man'. Thats it. Tell them that the 100m mark is now in the books as a Constant weight dive, and they reply " But did'nt Mayol do 100 meters in The Big Blue?" Even after explaining the disciplines, they will revert to.." Who is the deepest human"

So, my point...:D, I predict with great confidence that this dive from Herbert will once again give freediving a massive boost in media coverage, the first dive to 1000ft, CNN, Sky, ESPN, all the networks will be scrambling for footage and the story! And once Herbert cracks it, DB can prepare for a million 'newbie' threads me thinks! :D

Jeff

I wonder how the safety would be arranged. I personally wouldn't want to be the safety scuba diver deep down there. I don't know if I remember it right, but one guy did 300m+ scuba dive and it took him about 8 hours to get there and back and he had a LOT of tanks hanging around him.

Maybe it's time to start use some special kind of small submarines. :)

..216 meters..328 meters!..WOW =0
It's damn risky..But who knows?
I'll keep my fingers crossed for everythig goes well.
It would be a Really BIG THING..Really NO LIMITS:)

I wish I had 'Test Dive' to 216 meters ;D

BTW sorry about off-topic but..What is Herberts EqEx technique?

Filip

BTW sorry about off-topic but..What is Herberts EqEx technique?

External balloon Herbert blows up once submerged (it is empty on surface), and then fills back for equalizing in the depth. In other words, it is an external or extended Mouth-Fill technique:

(click image for more details)​

Last edited:
all i can say is woah !!! thats gonna be a lot of equalizing there
Not really - the deeper you go the slower you need to equalize. So between 200m and 300m, you need to equalize approximately in the same way as you need between the surface and 5m. Hence the sled can go pretty fast, as long as the speed grows up progressively with the depth.

Just some short info...

The numbers on Herbert's site is not 100% accurate.

In No Limit:

Herbert is going for 214m this summer, 2007.
214m = 700ft+ (702.13 to be exact)

2008 there is a plan to make a 1000ft dive (305m)...
...if everything is going well that is.

Then I guess we will have one or two deep Variabel dives as well :mute

/B

(the 328m on the site should be 328 yards instead)

ps... tho you never really know when it comes to Herbert's diving, 328 meter
could be possible and with that he would be the deepest diver in the world, incl scuba. :duh

Last edited:
THANkS trux:D
There's no better way to show me what is EqEx like showing me the picture of it.;)

Now I'm confused about that technique...it feels little false..but on the other hand this is the air from the lungs..

I' don't know:t

Hello

I agree with Filipson.
The EqEx is a sort of external help. It seems strange to me that AIDA registered Herbert records using the EqEx.
I know that he respected the rules using only the air of his breath made at the surface.
But I keep thinking it is a way to bypass the rules (like lawiers do). He interpreted the rules.

But I did nont want to contest his performance.
I am interested in the reaction of the freediving comunity in front of his objectives.
When Musimu told he would perform a dive at -200m, lots of people did not belive him. Why, in this case, the reaction seems different?

Thanks.

Nicolas

If Herbert makes it, it will be a huge day for freediving. I am a fan of traditional disciplins FIM,CWT,CNF but if this works it will be awsome. How deep do you think people will go in CWT etc?

Yes, if he makes it's ....I think it will be a long time before someone dares to break it.
Still I don't understand how will he manage to withstand the narcosis,DCS...etc.
We know how Carlos got his injury and trying to descend to depth that is almost twice as that is ,at least, very challenging.

Carlos' problems were due to a dive time that was close to (or more - I am not sure) 5 minutes (depth of 182m) ... Herbert is basing his statement of the 1000ft dive on a dive time of around 4minutes ... and a very fast sled ;)

Cheers Stavros

Just some short info...

2008 there is a plan to make a 1000ft dive (305m)...
...if everything is going well that is.

you are right
1000ft = 304,79m
but 100m = 328ft

anyway it's out of limits human possibility

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT