Tuesday, April 07, 2020
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

herring roe on kelp

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
Burnaby BC Canada
apart from eating it raw, what are the ways to prepare it? Is there a way to pickle or what spices would go best with roe on kelp? What is the best way to store it? Hard to fing anything on the internet on this subject. Share your first hand knowledge please. For example, can a seviche type recipe work on herring roe on kelp? I tried salting (not good), and blanching (also very so-so) and so far I find eating it raw is about the best. But then, added some tobasco and soy and it was something interesting. I am sure there must be tried and true spices that do better though.

Brochman

Jul 16, 2016
Shetland
Cut the Kelp with the Roes on it into sections (about the same size as a fish finger) Roll it in flour which has been seasoned with some white pepper, salt and Paprika then fry the Kelp Roe strips in butter. A bit off Sea Lettuce makes a nice side dish to the Roes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew the fish

marco15499

Laguneros Spearfishing
Apr 4, 2011
North Miami, FL
Interesting... Is it easy to spearate the roe from the kelp?

We italians make pasta with everything. I bet that some olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and cherry tomatos with the roe on top of a linguini plate would make an amazing meal. You have to pour some of the pasta cooking water on it to add some moisture and finish the cooking in the pan where you cooked the sauce.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2020 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT