• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

herring roe on kelp

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
apart from eating it raw, what are the ways to prepare it? Is there a way to pickle or what spices would go best with roe on kelp? What is the best way to store it? Hard to fing anything on the internet on this subject. Share your first hand knowledge please. For example, can a seviche type recipe work on herring roe on kelp? I tried salting (not good), and blanching (also very so-so) and so far I find eating it raw is about the best. But then, added some tobasco and soy and it was something interesting. I am sure there must be tried and true spices that do better though.

Cut the Kelp with the Roes on it into sections (about the same size as a fish finger) Roll it in flour which has been seasoned with some white pepper, salt and Paprika then fry the Kelp Roe strips in butter. A bit off Sea Lettuce makes a nice side dish to the Roes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew the fish
Do you have any pictures of these "roe on kelp"? I have never seen it and would be interested to.

4542D3F6-E419-4417-B476-496EC19B7B18.jpeg

Interesting... Is it easy to spearate the roe from the kelp?

We italians make pasta with everything. I bet that some olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and cherry tomatos with the roe on top of a linguini plate would make an amazing meal. You have to pour some of the pasta cooking water on it to add some moisture and finish the cooking in the pan where you cooked the sauce.

Interesting... Is it easy to spearate the roe from the kelp?

We italians make pasta with everything. I bet that some olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and cherry tomatos ...

as I understand, traditionally it is not separated from kelp, grab and eat.

Pickling roe on kelp is a unique and interesting idea! The combination of the brininess from pickling and the umami from the roe can result in a delicious and flavorful dish. Here's a simple pickling recipe along with suggested spices:

Pickled Roe on Kelp:

Ingredients:

• Fresh roe (salmon roe, for example)
  • Kelp (seaweed)
  • 1 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
  • Fresh dill (optional)
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Roe and Kelp:
    • Carefully remove the roe from the sac, ensuring it stays intact.
    • Rinse the kelp thoroughly to remove any excess salt or debris. Cut the kelp into manageable pieces.
  2. Combine Pickling Ingredients:
    • In a saucepan, combine rice vinegar, water, sugar, salt, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, and sliced garlic.
    • Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Once boiling, remove it from heat and let it cool.
  3. Assemble the Pickling Jar:
    • In a clean glass jar, layer the kelp and roe. If you have fresh dill, you can also add a few sprigs between the layers.
  4. Pour the Pickling Liquid:
    • Once the pickling liquid has cooled, pour it over the roe and kelp, ensuring they are completely submerged.
  5. Refrigerate:
    • Seal the jar and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, allowing the flavors to meld. The longer you let it sit, the more intense the pickling flavor will become.
  6. Serve:
    • After the pickling process is complete, you can serve the pickled roe and kelp on crackers, toast points, or as a unique topping for salads.
Note: Feel free to experiment with the spice blend based on your preferences. You can also add a bit of chili flakes for some heat or adjust the sweetness and acidity to your liking.

Enjoy your homemade pickled roe on kelp!

visit HH Processors

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT