• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hi from hollywood!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

monofin_diva

Jun 21, 2005
i found this board while searching for more monofin information.. i've been on for like 3 hours just reading thread after thread (getting a lot of my questions answered in the process)..

just about anything involving water fascinates me..guess i'm just a typical pisces. i just find it most natural for me to swim underwater with a monofin. i'm interested in increasing both my static and dynamic apnea times.

i also have a thing for mermaids (as you can see from my avatar) so i guess that's why i love my monofin so much.

i hope to be able to contribute

Welcome to DeeperBlue !
I am curios, where do you practice apnea finswimming ? Have you discovered a pool in LA area where they allow "hypoxic exercises" ?

i have 2 pools that i practice at. one is my own pool.. it's very long so its good for lap swimming, it's 9 feet deep.. and no one cares what i do in it..

the second pool belongs to a diving enthusiast couple i know.. their pool isnt really shaped for finswimming because its oddly shaped but it's great for apnea training.

thanks for the welcome

Lucky you ! Having your own pool that is long enough for fin swimming is awesome !
Have a good night and enjoy the website. DeeperBlue is propably the best resource on the net when it comes to Freediving.

thank you, i'll have a good night!!.. i'm reading a really interesting thread right now that lead me to some amazing monofins. i can see i'm going to be here a lot..

thanks again for the welcome

Welcome to Deeper Blue, Diva! :)
Yes, you'll find a lot of info here on monofins. You might want to try to get over to Catalina with one of those monos and check out the clear water. The waters off our coast have been pretty murky lately.

i've snorkel'd catalina before.. it's SO beautiful. i want to go down and check out that one wreck thats there but i'm not a good enough diver yet. :(

i also haven't had a chance to take my fin into open ocean yet. i need a stiffer fin i think.

thanks for the welcome

there is an olympic sized pool near me over here in griffith park.. BUT they don't even want me to use the fin at all.. i guess people complain about the waves i create in the water.

i'd be up for a short drive out to santa monica for a swim. i suppose i can understand them not beeing to keen on apnea training.

maybe one weekend we can connect and swim.

monofin_diva said:
i've snorkel'd catalina before.. it's SO beautiful. i want to go down and check out that one wreck thats there but i'm not a good enough diver yet.
What wreck is that? Where is it and how deep?
:cool:

Hi Diva,
I'm halfway to Roan from you but can't help any with free-diving training. I took the weekend beginner's course from the folks up in BC but am only interested in spearfishing, greedy pig that I am. Welcome, anyway!

lol.. greedy pig. i have a spear fishing friend in hawaii and his freezer is STOCKED with lobster and tuna. if that's piggish then count me in. i really want some help with my finswimming :( and i cant seem to find any coaches anywhere. maybe next time i'm in europe for any length of time i can connect with one there.. perhaps when i go to germany again.

roan.. i think there are at least two wrecks at catalina.. there are perhaps more. one is named the SureJac which sank in the '80s and it's on the east side of the island. i think it's like 55 feet long or something and if i remember correctly it's like in two parts at various depths.. deepest is 90 feet i think.

then there is a larger one which i know is disintegrated pretty much (people would use it to drop anchor on) it's called the Valiant and it's like a 130 foot yacht or something that crashed in the '30s. it's definitely in segments and the ranging from 70 -100 feet on the leeward side of the island.

maybe there are more, i'm not sure.

as soon as i get comfortable in my diving (AND certified AND take a wreck diving course).. then i'll definitely take a looksee.

'an addendum" i just did a search for "catalina shipwrecks" there are actually a ton of them there..

here is a very interesting link i found about various shipwrecks all over the world.. you gotta scroll down a bit to get to CA wrecks..lol actually most look like they met their fate off of catalina island.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-shipwrecks

Last edited:
monofin_diva said:
there is an olympic sized pool near me over here in griffith park.. BUT they don't even want me to use the fin at all.. i guess people complain about the waves i create in the water.

i'd be up for a short drive out to santa monica for a swim. i suppose i can understand them not beeing to keen on apnea training.

maybe one weekend we can connect and swim.

My wife and I are usually there on Saturdays after 11:00am . We are easy to spot. The only ones with long fins and neoprene suits at the deeper end of the pool.

Oldsarge said:
Hi Diva,
I took the weekend beginner's course from the folks up in BC
OUTSTANDING, SARGE! :wave How did that go (the course)?
Let's get in the water and slay some fish.

Last edited:
Pete, it was amazing. Kurt and Maartin took this landlubbering spearo wannabe and in one weekend had me doing a three-minute breath hold. Honest, by the clock, three minutes! I've got Fridays free and after the 21st, nothing scheduled for sure until school starts in Sept. Let's murder some scaleys.

Peter,
Would love to join you and the oldsarge if that is possible.
I sent you a PM with the details.

looks like we're 3/4 of the way towards a finswimming/ freediving club..

ok maybe not.. but it sounded good saying it.

-diva

monofin_diva said:
lol.. greedy pig. i have a spear fishing friend in hawaii and his freezer is STOCKED with lobster and tuna. if that's piggish then count me in. i really want some help with my finswimming :( and i cant seem to find any coaches anywhere. maybe next time i'm in europe for any length of time i can connect with one there.. perhaps when i go to germany again.
Hi Diva

Wellcome to DB, I'm sure You will enjoy it a lot.

I think you can find some help not so far away from home. MT and Aharon Solomon are at La Paz, in Baja California Sur, they have a freediving school, and they are very good trainers. I'm sure they can help a lot with the monofin technics, training and many other stuf related. You can take a freediving course too in very nice place with them.

Take a look at their webpage FREEDIVERS

You can read this articles too:
MONOFIN FOR FREEDIVING

MONOFIN FOR FREEDIVING 2

this articles say something about them too
MEXICO I

Saludos

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT