• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hi from hollywood!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Since we're on the subject of monofins, has anyone successfully used one for spearfishing? I've got a friend that I think I can talk into the briney but he has a partially paralized leg and I was thinking that he'd get best results if both legs worked together?

thanks for the links carlos! i'm bookmarking all of them now. i was almost going to give up trying to find help locally. maybe i'm not searching the web well.

sarge.. i don't spearfish, but i was swimming with my fin and i got a really bad cramp in one of my legs. i wasn't able to really move it and i still had to swim all the way to the other side of the pool. i managed to swim just fine because i think the majority of your propulsion comes from the hips sorta and the legs just sorta follow through. the cramp sucked, but it didn't throw me off from being able to complete my lap.

with bi-fins a lot more of his forward movement would come from his legs (at least that's what i think, i don't swim well with bi-fins..) with the mono his motion is more hippy.

plus with the mono on you're capable of moving really quickly, i would think it may help sneak up on quicker fish. but i've never gone spearfishing. my friend is supposed to take me soon.. we'll see and i can tell you how spearfishing with a mono on works

Last edited:
Good luck spearing with a mono, i have a monofin, UFFFFF i could not imagine spearing with it though. never tried it though either :duh

i am sure if you practice like crazy you could probaly catch a fish or two...

:wave

johnny said:
Good luck spearing with a mono, i have a monofin, UFFFFF i could not imagine spearing with it though. never tried it though either :duh

i am sure if you practice like crazy you could probaly catch a fish or two...

:wave

Monofins have many uses Johnny ;)

well one of them is definitly not underwater hockey! ouch!
hmm, maybe you don't need a spear when you take your mono down to catch a fish- just sharpen up the sides and slash around til you have sashimi. :D

lol selkie.. my son is always complaining that i chop him up with my monofin blade while i swim in the water.

hmm.. now if i only sharpened it.....

Hmm :hmm

Hey Peter, I replied in PM. Not sure if you get e-mail notifications about them.
Let me know how your schedule is looking this summer ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT