• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holiday Guernsey 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ask Gloworm about that story :) It happened on his way home after the Herm night!

P.S. Thanks for the Ormer shells and Pashmina!

Evening chaps and chappets, got home a while ago after a funky crossing on the fast cat with plenty of grey faced peeps and a lot of full sea sick bags. The Dorset crew stood up to the challenge well with packs of crisps, burgers, pots of soup and lots of coffee.
Twas indeed a week to remember with superb food good wine and even better company, top marks to Mart and Sarah for all the hard work they put in with the evening meals and organising of festivities and to the Sarnians for the Demon Ice Cream and the company, Dave as ever you’re a world of knowledge and a top bloke and Derek is “The Man” and most definitely the Don of the Island, was nice to catch up the Jonny 250 family and good luck with the whole golf bit to Mrs 250.
Although the weather was again a bit of a bugger it’s not all about the fishing it’s a whole Guernsey experience that counts for me, and it don’t come much better than the lads have shown us this year.
Really Big thanks to one and all that got evolved with our visit.
As for the dodgy bloke and the female cyclist there was also a kidnapped Iran lad but I’ll let john tell the story of that one.:friday:fridayroflrofl

Reactions: Sarnian and foxfish
Well that is it for now, Birchy has gone home & all of a sudden I feel pretty lonely!
From my point of view the event was great, the fishing was not great but the company was the best.
I loved every evening & nothing gives me more pleasure than cooking for you guys (although Herm night was great too!)
I hope we can do it again next year & maybe think of something to match the cray?

"The Crayfish"
I thought it was a fantastic creature that was more than just an eating experience!
The worry of not getting one, the excitement of getting one, the actual collection of the beast, the 24 hour defrost, the actual defrosted creature was just amazing.
All these things for a foodie like me was like heaven but to be able to share the meal with the most appreciative friends I have was the real highlight. :):)

I hope you can all make it back next year.
Mart.

Reactions: podge
The Spaniard clan will be back next year and I will be able to load a 2 metre bluewater gun with 6 bands so watch out all you invisible bass!

The crayfish was great, a first for me, but the lobster was fantastic! I need an approximate recipe for your 'hot sauce' as I dreamt about it last night..:t

Reactions: Sarnian
Our little soiree tonight with a mere 8lb bass was no comparison, but still stuffing it with guernsey butter, parsley, rosemary, garlic, ginger and lime and an hour in foil in the barbie seemed to work OK. may post pics later.

I agree Spaniard, all those sauces were amazing. I think we all need to open a restaurant - even if we were the only customers!:)

Pics now attached. There was enough to feed 10, and the cooking method seemed to work OK, although it may even have needed to be cooked for less time at a lower temperature. It ended up being over an hour, and the barbie temperature was mostly around 200, although I tried to keep it lower than that, and was aiming for just an hour. It was then left for about half an hour in the foil, during which it may have continued cooking. Unfortunately there were no juices left, which I was aiming to pour off and pass around to go over the fish.

Anyway it went down OK, with a beetroot salad made by a friend, a bean salad with fresh green and white beans from the show, and boiled potatoes from a friend's garden.
For starters we had Guernsey smoked mackerel, and finished off with a selection of Guernsey cheeses, including a new blue cheese. I also made a dessert with peaches from the Normandy market which came over, in sauternes and lavender.:p

Attachments

• BassAug09.JPG
    BassAug09.JPG
    354.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Bass2aug09.JPG
    Bass2aug09.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 119
Top marks & cooking :) I have been wanting to try that peaches recipe, was it as good as it sounds?

Can't remember where I saw it, but yes it was very good, makes all the difference if you can get fresh French peaches though, or at least white flesh ones.:)

Cheers mate - excellent. I had forgotten about the lemon rind, and substituted Guernsey cream for creme fraiche! :p

Stella(r) Nights!

Finally back in front of a decent PC and keyboard after an amazing week!

Starting with the expedition to the usually underwater islands to my final successful dip in the swimming pool it was all brilliant, as were the stars, of which there seemed to be twice as many than usual - wonder why?

Thanks one again to all our gracious hosts, and of course, to the visiting, highly appreciative, companions.

Things didn't start that well, when despite Mart's and Derek's pictures of the glorious weather, the vis at the Humps turned out to be pretty naff, as pretty much everywhere all year.

Nosing around in the weed though, I saw a couple of Greys, which raised expectations a bit. Nothing compared to the dangling though, as we pulled out 5 or 6 mackerel at a go. Fed the 5000 on Monday night no problem!

Is fresh mackerel fillet in the top 5 best tasting fish - I think it might be.

First dive with the guys was in average conditions, which turned to be good in the end. Seeing none of the suggested lobsters, conger, and certainly no bass, when I came across a petite but elegant mullet nibbling at some weed he had to be the one. And he was. With no one getting owt on the remaining dives I was amazed to end up the fish-in winner. Thanks guys for the neat prize and to Dave for the trophy.

Still enjoying being on the Island after the others had returned I figured I should do what I had travelled there for ( apart from eat and drink )

A study of the crashing surf ( see Dave's pics ) on the west coast revealed only one potential location - the fabled swimming pool.

Sheltered on all sides at the right tide state, the surface was only being whipped into small waves by the wind, so in I went.

Finally - some vis! Up to 5 metres in places. I was almost hypnotised by being able to see stuff beyond the end of the gun. And I did. First bass was head first into some weed. What to do? Guess where the head is? Shoot the tail end? Wait for it to emerge? Make a small disturbance and see it disappear? You guessed it.

Adrenaline cut in now though, and the 5ft depth of the pool seemed as nothing! Next bass I saw may well have been the same fellow, parked right by the side of, and parallel to, my gun as I emerged from some stringweed. No chance.

The big fellow was part hidden behind a kelp frond, and luckily he chose to emerge from it in the wrong direction - for him.

Handling the creature is dead easy when you can stand up - I
thoroughly recommend it. 5 pounds 4 ounces on Dave's scales, and my personal best. Expertly filleted in a few seconds by Dave, it now awaits consumption by our good hosts. Hope you enoy it as much as I did.

Thanks once again to all, and I hope to meet up with at least some of you again soon.

More pics when I can find the blooming interface lead.

Cheers
Birchy ( all right your lordship?)

Reactions: derek foxen
I think another successful event. At least despite not very good diving conditions.

While Birchy was still here I went off for a few days to London to see the sites and take in the last showing of the full size anamatronics dinosaur show. Very good it was too.

Back today to rain and gales. Good news for me anyway is my ear finally seems okay after nearly 2 months.

Itching to get in again. Maybe, just maybe the weekend.

Dave.

Attachments

• CIMG3570.jpg
    CIMG3570.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 123
  • CIMG3605.jpg
    CIMG3605.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 128
  • CIMG3613.jpg
    CIMG3613.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 123
  • CIMG3616.jpg
    CIMG3616.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 124
Ok then lets look at July summer holiday dates.

Sunday 1 August 2010 2.3 05:55 Summer Hols
Sunday 1 August 2010 8.1 11:54 Summer

Not much point in considering night diving in July unless you want to get in with a belly full of beer at midnight though?

Last edited:
I know that i'm pretty ignorant as to the best times of year for spearing here, but looking back over the last few years June seems to be the best month for the most reliable conditions..? 2008 had some bad vis, but even so there were bass reports through June. My impression is that July - August just get windy and can be good, but perhaps there's more luck involved in whether the weather is good...?

You might be right Jonny but considering Dave is a key player & he will be at work in the week?
I dont think we can rely on past times as things are changing so rapidly of late - only 5 years ago our bays were teeming with bass - now we can just hope they return in time for next years fish in?
I would like to set the date before the end of January just so the boys have a choice of accommodation.

OK here we go then how about staging the fish-in around the weekend of July 24-25th?
Medium tides & low around early afternoon :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT