• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holiday Guernsey 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i wonder if we should just try a high water dive? High must be around 12 so if i can muster up the crew fairly soon at least the tide will be coming in & there is not much wind at the mo?

OK here is the plan - meet at the knife in one hour (10.30) (did I mention that I feel rough!)

The beast has awaken from his frozen block - amazing creature!!!!

Attachments

• P1040852.jpg
    P1040852.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 161
  • P1040853.jpg
    P1040853.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 158
  • P1040854.jpg
    P1040854.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 160
Once again I seem to have a headache! I reckon those Dorset boys must have brought us swine flu or something!:t Or perhaps I'm allergic to crayfish?

Another historic last night meal yesterday.The monster cray, dismantled by Mrs Sarnian, the shellfish cracker.It's now a tradition for her to splatter everyone with shellfish flesh, and yesterday was no exception. Podge trying his best to use up what little insulin his body had left, and surprisingly Mrs Spaniard polishing off at least 2 lobsters single-handed!:)
And finally, the 2009 trophy went to ... Birchy, for his magnificent catch of mullet!:)

And so it's over for another year. The local economy has once again been boosted by record sales of Rocquette cider, real ale ,gallons of wine and several tons of shellfish. The shoals of bass can now swim freely, no hordes of large foreign predators stalking our waters. And the Foxy and Sarnian clans can go back to restoring their livers and digestive systems, and start another diet. Or can we? Our visitors arrive for a long weekend this morning, a Greek Cypriot cockney now living in Switzerland, who I only regained contact with last year after 30 years, and his Swiss wife who's never been to the island before. More barbies and local delicacies, and hopefully I can put into practice some of the skills I've learned from the Rick Stein of Guernsey! Well done for another excellent week, Mart Sarah and Dave.:)

Attachments

• Barbie09.JPG
    Barbie09.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Cray3.JPG
    Cray3.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 161
  • wifey.JPG
    wifey.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 154
  • birchy.JPG
    birchy.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: derek foxen
Yep great night....14 lobsters & one 10.5lb cray, 17 bots of whine & 27 empty beer bottles + numerous cider bottles!!
There was also 1/2 bottle of sloe gin & two bots of champagne. O & one small bot of water :t

Reactions: flyflicker
Podge, John & Jim are on the boat now & yes it is very rough.
Spaniard clan will be on the plane just about now but the trophy winner is still here until tomorrow.
I poached the lobster tails & the cray tail in butter at 165c for 5 mins - I am just wondering what to do with 3.5lb of crustacean flavoured clarified Guernsey butter?

Holiday Guernsey certainly didn't go out with a whimper. Force6/7 forcast but more like 8/9. Doubt that our remaining guest Birchy went diving today.

Dave.

Attachments

• CIMG3566.jpg
    CIMG3566.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 154
  • CIMG3567.jpg
    CIMG3567.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 154
Reactions: glowworm
great pictures there guys, so sorry the weather is snotty :-(

I think today is likely to be the best of the next few, so maybe i should try my lungs out... first time since June... would be good to catch up with you all.

West wind and swell, so how about a South-coast swim late afternoon? moulin Huet, or st martins pt?

Well i have to apologise for dragging the guys accross the island to find it windy and lumpy on the south coast, perhaps low tide might have been a bit different :head

bit lumpy out there today :crutch

next year will be epic...:friday

next year! NEXT YEAR!!! - can we make that 13 months as I need more than a year to recover :crutch

A big thank you to everyone who gave up their time to take us all diving and fishing.

A real pleasure to meet everyone and spent good quality time over a couple of beers:friday

The food was fantastic all week :):)

Reactions: Sarnian and foxfish
Only a complete nutter would have ventured in today. So well done Birchy, shown here with a PB 5lb 4oz Guernsey bass.

Dave

Attachments

• CIMG3569.jpg
    CIMG3569.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 164
EXCELLENT Birchy!
I think it's fair to say you showed exceptional determination during the week in what were pretty poor spearfishing conditions.

Reactions: Sarnian
What the ... you mean he caught that today? Funnily enough, we had a slightly smaller one tonight with our Swiss visitors. It couold have been a bit of a disaster, but I think I rescued it and invented a new form of fish cooking!

Let me explain. After our busy week, I forgot to take out the 3lb bass I had in the freezer to defrost overnight, so after we picked them up from the airport about midday, I put it in the oven on the "defrost" setting, which is just a fan. Trouble is, I also didn't realise I'd turned the oven on, at its lowest setting. So we came back to a very slow cooked bass, with crispy skin and looking a bit dried out. So I made a garlic, chilli, ginger and lime butter, took the flesh off the fish and turned it gently, to warm it through and moisten it. Together with my also accidentally discovered asparagus and wild mushroom risotto, it seems to have gone down very well. This is how new dishes get discovered I suppose.

Now I am doing a barbie tomorrow for 8 people, at which I have a defrosted 8lb bass to cook, I was thinking stuffed with herbs and butter, in tinfoil on the barbie. Any other suggestions?:)

Finally got home after nightmare traffic on M25! What a great time the Spaniard clan had in Guernsey! Once again our hosts outdid themselves to provide the perfect 'Guernsey experience'. Foxfish is a legend and once again treated us to his unique culinary delights in the now famous 'Foxfish bar and grill'. I can't begin to describe the taste of the lobster, crayfish, chowder, mackerel etc. etc. which was presented to us. Mrs Foxfish did herself proud with an amazing Thai curry which I will never forget. Mrs Sarnian made sure our sweet tooth was catered for with an amazing duo of ice cream delights suitably partnered with a fine vintage of Sarnian sloe gin (still feeling the effects). The diving took second place to the 'apres ski' but we all managed a splash or two inbetween the festivities! I vote to name the next thread, 'Eat and Drink 2010 (diving as extra)'.

Old Man Dave provided moral support and plenty of wisdom even though his ear prevented him from diving with us. Derek made a welcome appearance and showed us how fit you can be if you put your mind to it :)

Mrs Spaniard did me proud by eating for England and Spaniard Jnr wants me to grow grapes and blackberries in her nursery.

I managed to behave myself this year but was pleased to see Podge, StuckinSurrey and Glow-worm getting in the party spirit; Guernsey police still lookin for 'dodgy bloke' who attacks teenage female cyclists..rofl

Birchy did us proud by actually catching a fish and winning the trophy and also managed a Bass today!

Thanks to all the Guernsey crew and looking forward to 2010!

Spaniard Clan

attacking teenage female cyclists? Don't think I heard about that one! Sounds like a good story - please do tell!

Great to meet the other Spaniards, hope they will come again.

:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT