• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Horrible news just in .....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Rest in peace

Loic Leferme, explorer, freediver
Kurt Vonnegut Jr., author
Knut Schmidt-Nielson, comparative physiologist
Daryl Habel, paleoanthropologist

All influenced me
All recently passed away
My condolences to the families and friends

David Deden

Reactions: DeepThought
:(:(:(

I think maybe it is time we'd start think of NL dives the same as skydiving, in the sense that once the diver is down he depends on equipment to keep him alive.
Skydivers have an backup parachute, maybe it is time to consider incooperating backups into the NL system.
It is more complicated as the diver will in many cases be too narced to do anything out of the ordinary if equipment fails.
Maybe a combination of floatation vest and counterballast/float-on-sled that are always activated should be the unofficial accepted minimum for NL dives beyond a certain depth.

I think both the vest developed by Terry Maas or the safety belt developed by Zeagle Systems, with a few adjustments, can be used to make a "safety backpack" for deep free dives. But I also believe that AIDA should follow the example of CMAS and stop recognizing "no limits" record attempts. That will not stop people for trying, but at least it will remove an incentive for doing it, and maybe encourage divers to compete in less dangerous disciplines. The elimination of the sled will drastically limit the depth and therefore facilitate the work of safety divers, IMHO.

I just learn about Loic. It is very tragic.
My deepest condolences to his wife and friends.
I have never knew him, but from everybody's description, Loic was very dedicated to freediving community.
In time we might learn more about what happend down there, but that knowleage will not change past events.
Perhaps the best way to honor Loic is to do, what he loved - freedive....

Horrible news - peace and love to all who celebrated life with Loic. He will be missed, indeed (thanks Jorg).

Thanks, Guillame, for sharing with us.

Loic Leferme: Explorer, Adventurer, Freediver by Peter Scott on DeeperBlue.net - Fanatical About FreeDiving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing & Technical Diving

Re-reading my article and Loic's words makes me smile, cringe a little and sad to have lost such a gentleman. I remember our phone conversation well.

I didn't know him personally, met him only once, but I have learned a lot from his "profil bas" philosophy. I hope others do, too.

Bye, Loic.

I have not yet heard of a memorial service for Loic. I have tried to contact Guillaume but, I am sure he has his mind on other things than email at the moment. (It was wonderful, actually, for him to take the time to give us further information on the accident). Does anybody else happen to know time/location for a memorial service (if, indeed, there will be one).

Also, others have mentioned it, but I will also repeat the request, if anyone knows of any memorial funds set up for Valerie and the kids.

Kindest regards in this difficult time.
Kristine

I had never met Loic though it seems both he and I are affected by the same bug as on this very nice Saturday I am away from my family in my workshop making a special mask for my own (much more humble) attempt to set a national freediving record. So in light of this I feel compelled to share my belief that if Loic would have left a note in case of such an event it would have read something like this.

Dear Friends,

I have written this note thinking that it is possible that a tradegy might befall me on my freediving endeavors. If this is the case please know the following:

-I first pray that no one else was injured in my ordeal.

- That secondly, whatever circumstances may indicate to the contrary, I suffered not at all as I was doing my passion and love.

- Thirdly that I have placed significant personal energy toward the safety of these things partly, and again even if the circumstances indicate differently, so that whatever mistakes might have been made were mine, mine only and no one elses.

- Fourthly I pray that my actions have not damaged the sport of freediving and that whatver innovations I have made as well as my mistakes will be lessons taken and well learned toward the safety and sucess of others.

- Fifth, to my family and close personal friends, I will not tell you here that I love you because more than anything else I pray that you know and understand this already in your hearts.

Tribute to Loic Leferme by Wes Lapp - 14 April 07

Just read the news!!! I'm in Shock! I really admired him!

May he rest in peace!

Sincere condolences to all of his family and friends!

Said

I only met him once and the main thing that my wife and I remember, is that he was such a nice guy.

I've put off the chance to dive with him for two years and now that time will never come, that alone should be enough to ensure life is lived to the fullest, as he did.

My thoughts are with his family and team mates.

Dan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT