• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Horrible news just in .....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

glennv

hybrid lifeform
Nov 28, 2002
I hope this is not true, but just got this mail :

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bonjour à tous,

Je vous annonce une bien triste nouvelle qui provoque un choc dans le monde
de l'apnée. Loic Leferme serait décédé ce matin au cours d'un entraînement.
Je n'ai encore aucune information complémentaire sur les circonstances de
cet accident. Une annonce a été faite ce midi à la TV française.
Le monde de l'apnée est en deuil après la disparition de Loic.

Jean-Pol FRANCOIS
Président AIDA Belgique ASBL
Document sans nom

--------------------------------------------------------------

For the non French speakers it says that this afternoon Loic Leferme died during a training. No further info available yet but there will be an anouncement on French Tv later today.

Please let this not be true.............
Anyone some more info ??

Last edited:
My thoughts go out for him and his family. I really hope that this isn't true.

Jon

shit it's true...

Le Monde.fr : L'apnéiste Loïc Leferme se tue lors d'un entraînement

My thoughts go to him, his family, friends...

Freely translated:

ICE (Reuters) - the French apneist Loïc Leferme, 36 years, former recordman of the world of absolute in-depth diving in 2004, found death at the time of an accident in the course of drive, learns one near the rescuers. Loïc Leferme tried to equalize its record with 171 meters of depth, with the entry of the roads of Villefranche-on-Sea, close to Nice, when the system enabling him to go up on the surface was seized up. “It remained at the bottom. The body was then re-installed by a plunger first-aid worker but it was not possible to revive it”, one specified with the Nautique club of Nice. Loïc Leferme had beaten on October 30, 2004 the record of the world of diving “No limit” - regarded as the discipline queen of the apnea - by reaching 171 meters of depth, in the same roads of Villefranche-on-Sea. This record was beaten by the Austrian Herbert Nitsch in August 2006 in Croatia with 183 meters of depth.

God, what terrible news, i'm stunned.

Thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family.

May you rest in peace Loic :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork :waterwork
Love and strength to your family and close friends.

When does the freedive world finally stop with this insanity of no-limits records. How many more good people do we need to loose. I feel angry and sad at the same time...................

Here already manymore newsitems in french: Recherche Google :
Maybe some french speaking person can find some news in them.

Some more details:

The French apneist Loïc Leferme, 36 years, recordman of the world of absolute in-depth diving in 2004, died Wednesday in middle of day on the wearing of Nice after an accident of diving at the time of a drive with Villefranche-on-Sea (the Alpes-Maritimes). “The cord was blocked because of something under water, I do not know what”, declared one of his close relations, Cédric Palerm, monitor in Cipa (international center of diving and apnea) which was on the boat at the time of the accident.

The firemen tried in vain to make him a cardiac massage, specified Pierre Tramoni, principal private secretary of the mayor of Nice. In addition to the firemen, the police force and a medical examiner were in middle of day on the wearing of Nice, where the body of the apneist was transported.

Last edited:
He was the most gracious and selfless freediver I have ever met. For what little time I knew him, it was an honour. I am just devastated that he has left us. Peace Loïc, peace.

This is terrible... so very much terrible.

/B

Attachments

• Loïc Leferme01.jpg
    Loïc Leferme01.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 181
Another reminder that we are pushing the limits in a dangerous but beautiful game. Let's not lose any more of out living treasures. Rest in peace Loic

There is an official press release on his website now. I try to follow it as good as it gets but from now on I only put the news on my own site, otherwise too much work.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT